C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

cannot remove distributor

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 07:06 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Robert61
Where were all of you comedians the last 4 days while I was changing my ring and pinion, in and out 3 complete times!
Well, that's just YOUR pinion!
The following 2 users liked this post by Railroadman:
Easy Rhino (02-06-2017), hope2 (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 07:33 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I read all the responses from 'Daren67'...and many of the other suggestions....but not the entire thread. Because if I read them correctly the main housing will spin.

I have also encountered many distributors that were really stuck and it took a bit if twisting and pulling to get it to come out. But lucky for me I got them out. But I also used my digital calipers so I could actually see I was gaining on the height and they were coming out.

From what I gather...general consensus is the roll pin is coming out and not getting past the cam gear. And what Lars commented on that not being able to do anything from the bottom of the engine would cause me to do this.

Keep this in mind. I believe you spun the engine.. BUT..I do believe that the roll pin is installed on the main shaft in the same location in relation to the top of the distributor...if I am not mistaken. I do not believe that when this hole was drilled it was done randomly. Hopefully the hole for the roll pin is not drilled randomly. If all the holes are in the exact same 'clocked' location....then knowing the angle of the hole that is drilled for the roll pin....in relation to your upper distributor area where you attach your rotor button should be the same. So you might still stop and think that even though you spun the engine....maybe it needs more because now you will know that there are only two places the distributor can be rotated to in order to get the roll pin away from the gear area of the cam. Did that make sense???? I know there are more than just twp places for the distributor to be positioned...but I feel some may get what I am trying to convey.

OR...

The one option if that I would try is to pull the timing chain cover and begin the process of attempting to get parts loosened or removed so the cam can slide forwards a little bit to the roll pin can get past the cam gear. I feel that if the cam came forward an 1/8"...it may come out....if not then 3/16"...which should not cause for lifter to drop out and get caught up. My only possible concern might be the fuel pump push rod...but that may be OK also. But with teh fuel pump push rods diameter being smaller than a lifter...that is was raises my concern...so dropping a fuel pump to me is no big deal.

I feel that this should work due if the roll pin is coming out..it can only be out far enough that it would interfere withe cam gear BUT also be effective in holding the distributor gear on the main shaft. I seriously doubt that the roll pin is so far out that it is actually extended past the outer circumference of the distributor gear itself. If it were...the gear would come off...I think. I would have to check that tomorrow at work to see if I am correct.

And if all else fails....

I know this may **** some of you off...but oh well. I would more than likely end up dropping the pan just to make sure what I am going to do does not damage the engine internally. But I would cut the distributor below the area where the cap is mounted.

I would pull out the housing....and hopefully because the housing is now out...the main shaft with the gear would have enough play in it to allow the shaft to get past the cam gear.

I currently do not have an engine torn down so I could actually cut one of my old distributors with a roll pin extended otu of it and check and see if what I am thinking is plausible.

'Daren67'
I applaud you ability to not give up...many people by this point would more than likely lost patience and really did more damage then if they just took their time. You have put a lot more into this than I would...but I do this stuff for a living and when the inevitable is staring me in the face..I have to go with it.

DUB
Old 02-02-2017, 06:54 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Now there's an original idea for a change!
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2017, 09:08 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
I would cut the distributor below the area where the cap is mounted.

I would pull out the housing....and hopefully because the housing is now out...the main shaft with the gear would have enough play in it to allow the shaft to get past the cam gear.
After a week of messing with this I would do the above. But I tend to take the extreme route sometimes.

Look on the bright side, if you throw enough money at this problem the problem will go away.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:34 AM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,014 Likes on 578 Posts

I'm sorry but cutting the distributor off only leaves a useless hunk of metal still stabbed into and stuck in the guys engine block. Then what?
Keep yanking, spraying? Getting mad at it never works. If it was working well before all this maybe just clamp it back down an leave it.

If the OP is dead set on removal this needs a second set of eyes on it.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:51 AM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

So, one more shot. If when the distributor is in correct position, there should be play moving shaft up and down. So, when distributor is pulled out to position where it is stuck, if there still is same play, problem is in housing, if no play problem is shaft.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:03 AM
SW Vette
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Daren67
Guys, appreciate everyone's help. Please bear in mine I work 8-7pm EST and have many young kids to put to bed. I work on the Vette 9pm-10pm (or when the wife calls me up).

To answer some questions: 1) The dist Shaft comes up only 1/2 inch and cannot clear the cam. So when I turn the shaft clockwise it sits right back down on the cam. So the rotor actually never moved since I have been trying to get out. 2) I have used some force but not excessive force yet. I am being patient on this as car is stock and intake is aluminum and I do not want to be pulling oil pan or engine in my garage. The car was apart for one year 2015 for paint and want to drive the thing come this April. I do not have own a prybar. All I have is a medium screwdriver, 2ft crowbar, and 1x2 piece of solid maple wood 6ft long. 3) I have tried Lars approach (pulled plugs/rotated engine) but only did 180 degrees this morning before work (at 7am). I will try the remaining 180 degrees tonight after I pick up some PB, Kroil or WD 40. I thank everyone for your help with this. And will report back either late tonight or first thing tomorrow am.
Harbor Freight. Slide hammer. Job done.

Listen to GTOguy, he does this stuff for a living.

Just pulling or prying is not the same as using an impact tool. Think of a valve cover, water pump, or intake manifold that's held in place with Permatex - pull all you want and it ain't coming off, but a couple of strikes with a dead blow and -- voila!
The following users liked this post:
GTOguy (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 10:28 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

All due respect, cutting the dizzy in half is batsh!t crazy, IMO.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:31 AM
Daren67
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by hope2
So, one more shot. If when the distributor is in correct position, there should be play moving shaft up and down. So, when distributor is pulled out to position where it is stuck, if there still is same play, problem is in housing, if no play problem is shaft.
No play when it's up 1/2 inch. A forum member GCD1962 may be gracious enough to to peak at it Sunday. Watch he sees the dist bolt still in.....just kidding.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:39 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

I was a bit harsh in my last post and apologize for that. But I'm glad you're getting other eyes on it. Cutting the distributor in half will result in metal shavings in the engine, a broken distributor, and a piece of it still lodged in the engine. Do that, and you'll be pulling the engine, tearing it down, and boiling it out to get rid of all the metal debris. Get other eyes on it and go from there. Kudos to you for having the patience so far not to do anything rash and destroy anything. Since the dizzy has been out fairly recently, I don't think it's sludge or varnish. We will wait and see if Lars does his lab experiment with the roll pin and the indexing of the dizzy shaft and will look forward to results, and your ultimate solution for this issue! Good luck.
Jeff
Old 02-02-2017, 11:56 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Now here's a thought not suggested yet.

Never mind the arrows and text in this picture of the block. Look at the block where the distributor goes through it.

Any chance the intake manifold was sealed up in the back with silicone instead of a rubber gasket? Taken a little further, any chance an excess amount of silicone was used and it squeezed into the real estate of the distributor when it was installed? On the next machined surface down from the gasket.

I don't have anything here to measure it but lifting the distributor about a 1/2" sounds about right for this scenario. But you should be able to feel this interference if that's the case.
Attached Images   

Last edited by MikeM; 02-02-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:04 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

If you cut the distributor mainshaft "football" off and file it smooth with a chamfer, you can then slide the points cam off the top of the shaft, pull out the distributor housing, and then you have room to manipulate the mainshaft/gear/pin until it clears to pull it out from the top.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 02-02-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:12 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by GTOguy
Since the dizzy has been out fairly recently, I don't think it's sludge or varnish.
Jeff
I THOUGHT I read the last time it was out was in the late 1980's. But OP said they change the oil regularly so I'm also guessing it's not sludge.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:56 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GTOguy
Cutting the distributor in half will result in metal shavings in the engine, a broken distributor, and a piece of it still lodged in the engine. Do that, and you'll be pulling the engine, tearing it down, and boiling it out to get rid of all the metal debris.
Jeff
Well I did say I tend to take the extreme route sometimes.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:26 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Good thought Mike - I covered that in post #35 though...the pictures help.
I think its between the roll pin and the issue you cite...
Old 02-02-2017, 02:33 PM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 338 Likes on 193 Posts

For how long it took me to read all theses posts I could have taken the oil pan off and oil pump out. Just sayin'......
Old 02-02-2017, 02:55 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 4 Speed Dave
For how long it took me to read all theses posts I could have taken the oil pan off and oil pump out. Just sayin'......
Then what would you do? And How?

Get notified of new replies

To cannot remove distributor

Old 02-02-2017, 03:07 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
Then what would you do? And How?
And would there be clearance for the distributor gear to be removed from the bottom of the engine. I know the oil pump rod can clear, but can the distributor gear ?
Old 02-02-2017, 03:12 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

If this is a roll pin issue the only way to resolve it is from the top. The dist will have to be disassembled down to the shaft so you can hopefully move it sideways to get the shaft out.

I have search the internet for a cutaway view of this area but no luck.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:49 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Another set of eyes is the next logical step.

There is no rush at this point, and no point in rushing and damaging something.

Give us a report on Sunday.

Quick Reply: cannot remove distributor