Sponsored by:

Body/Interior Restoration Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 06:58 AM
Eulentier
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body/Interior Restoration Advice Needed

I bought my '76 L48 a little over a year ago. Mechanically, the car is in top shape. I've fixed about everything that needed to be fixed (knock on wood) - now it's time to restore the interior and paint.

The car is currently yellow with a black interior. During my time of owning the car, (which has been a learning process) I discovered that the car was originally painted Orange Flame (paint code 70) with a Dark Brown interior. I most likely will be returning to the original body color, but have some questions about the interior.

Should I go ahead and leave the interior black, or take the time to replace everything back to Dark Brown? I figure a mid 70's automatic C3 can't lose too much value with a different interior color, but you never know. Thought I'd get opinions first before ordering parts.

I have noticed that some of the interior pieces must have been painted or dyed at one point in time because I can see a little brown wearing through on some parts.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:13 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Eulentier
...Should I go ahead and leave the interior black, or take the time to replace everything back to Dark Brown?...
That's entirely up to you. If you want to return to the original brown, my advice is to use SEM automotive interior dye. It's good stuff and is available through automotive paint suppliers. For existing trim pieces in good shape, clean and redye. Replace the pieces which need replacing and dye those to match.

SEM will cover metal, plastic, leather, and vinyl. It is not intended for use on carpet.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:55 AM
68ragtop69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
MD Events Coordinator
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In X Veteran
CI-X Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Eulentier
The car is currently yellow with a black interior. During my time of owning the car, (which has been a learning process) I discovered that the car was originally painted Orange Flame (paint code 70) with a Dark Brown interior. I most likely will be returning to the original body color, but have some questions about the interior.
The Orange Flame and Dark Brown interior doesn't look too bad. Personally, I'm not a big fan of brown interiors, but I admit I do like it with the orange.

As for what you should do.....I would recommend that you try to see the Orange & Brown color combo in person (or at least in some good quality photos) and see it you like it. If you like the color combo then change it over, if not then I would leave it black. You can't go wrong with black!!! (When I purchased my first 68 it had a really rough looking bright blue interior but I didn't care because I was planning on changing over to black).

You may get a lot of advice to go back to the original colors, but in the end it is your car and you should drive something you like to look at!!!
Old 04-09-2010, 11:51 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

SEM "Color Coat" is great stuff to redo the interior. I think painting the car the original color is a great idea. It will enhance the future sales potential of the car, for sure; if you like the color [I do!], that's even better. Keeping the interior black is fine; the orange/black combo is nice looking. And, you will be asked to be in the October "Pumpkin Parade" each year, for sure! Just kidding. Anyway, I think your interior choices are black, brown, or light saddle. The latter is my favorite with the Orange exterior, but the others work well, also.

I don't think keeping the black interior...instead of going with the color shown on your trim tag...is too big a deal. The interior can be recolored fairly easily and for little expense by a new owner, if deemed necessary.

Get notified of new replies

To Body/Interior Restoration Advice Needed

Quick Reply: Body/Interior Restoration Advice Needed