Sponsored by:

Engine guru's, HELP, it doesn't run very well

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 12:26 PM
blu73
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Engine guru's, HELP, it doesn't run very well

It is a 1973 with a slightly warmed over 350. It has an automatic trans with a stock convertor. The plugs are new. The gas is fresh. The carb has been recently rebuilt. The timing was set to factory specs, but has been tinkered with lately in an effort to get the engine running better. The vacuum advance is hooked up to the intake manifold directly. All other vacuum hoses are in place and connected. It starts well.

The problems are poor idle and drive-ability. It stumbles every few seconds like it is cutting out in some way, then recovers. When light throttle is applied to get going, it is very noticeable. It continues while being driven at constant speeds. When heavier throttle is applied to accelerate harder, the cutting out is there along with spitting back through the carb. The idle needs to be set high while in park in order to get the proper idle when the trans is moved into drive. The drive line gets quite a shock and the engine almost stalls.

Anyone out there that has had similar problems? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by blu73; 06-07-2015 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:34 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by blu73
It is a 1973 with a slightly warmed over 350. It has an automatic trans with a stock convertor. The plugs are new. The gas is fresh. The carb has been recently rebuilt. The timing was set to factory specs, but has been tinkered with lately in an effort to get the engine running better. The vacuum advance is hooked up to the intake manifold directly. All other vacuum hoses are in place and connected. It starts well.

The problems are poor idle and drive-ability. It stumbles every few seconds like it is cutting out in some way, then recovers. When light throttle is applied to get going, it is very noticeable. It continues while being driven at constant speeds. When heavier throttle is applied to accelerate harder, the cutting out is there along with spitting back through the carb. The idle needs to be set high while in park in order to get the proper idle when the trans is moved into drive. The drive line gets quite a shock and the engine almost stalls.

Anyone out there that has had similar problems? Thanks in advance.

It sounds like the timing is way off and needs to be set again with the vacuum advance disconnected......................
Old 06-07-2015, 06:17 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Here I go a again. i have encountered many old engines where the harmonic balancer outer ring has spun and moved in the position of the notch in it. And this notch needs to be to CORRECTLY positioned to use a timing light if that is how you are setting your timing.

Also..I have come across many engines that have had a new timing chain cover installed and the timing tab was the WRONG ONE for the balancer being used. And this makes a BIG DIFFERENCE. Your timing tab should be almost touching the balancer.

Have you verified that the vacuum advance is actually working inside the distributor???
Are your advance weights able to move and retract back???
Have you check the dwell....just be be on the safe side??
Are you sure that your plug wires are GOOD??? And that they are NOT all 'zip-tied' together????

DUB
Old 06-07-2015, 07:01 PM
Zoix
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Running lousy

I don't think you want vacuum advance on full intake vacuum.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:16 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

I had a bad ignition switch that would make my corvette stumble driving.....intermittent and aggravating .

I couldn't figure out what the heck was causing it ......it could be a thousand things .

So.....I brightened up.

Took it to a PROFESSIONAL auto mechanic . Not my uncle , third cousin, friends friend ....but to a guy who does such trouble shooting FOR a living five days a week.

Wow ...I know it's a novel idea .....LOL...

But it worked , hour labor and price of ignition switch.

Last edited by LS4 PILOT; 06-07-2015 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:19 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

Points been replaced recently? Plug wires grounding out? After installing a msd 6a in my old camaro I had those symptoms. It wasn't until I opened the hood in the dark and saw the electric show going on in the engine compt that I figured it out.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:18 PM
blu73
Racer

Haven't been able to spend much time on this problem with yard work, dance recitals, work, etc.

Some good ideas here that I hadn't thought of. I'll be checking them out and hopefully get this solved. So far, I have only found the idle mixture screws needed to be turned in slightly for be best reading I could get on a vacuum gauge. This is about right for me. Nice driving weather and the 'vette is running like crap.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:29 PM
530planeman
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts

Haven't been able to spend much time on this problem with yard work, dance recitals, work, etc.

Some good ideas here that I hadn't thought of. I'll be checking them out and hopefully get this solved. So far, I have only found the idle mixture screws needed to be turned in slightly for be best reading I could get on a vacuum gauge. This is about right for me. Nice driving weather and the 'vette is running like crap.
How far are you from Cinn. I have been working on these cars for over 50 years and if you are not to far I could come give you a hand /
Wes
Old 06-12-2015, 04:34 PM
blu73
Racer

Originally Posted by 530planeman
How far are you from Cinn. I have been working on these cars for over 50 years and if you are not to far I could come give you a hand /
Wes
If you were to draw a line to the farthest point across the state from Cincinnati, you would be in the neighborhood. I'm between Youngstown and Warren. Thanks for the offer.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:40 PM
530planeman
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts

If you were to draw a line to the farthest point across the state from Cincinnati, you would be in the neighborhood. I'm between Youngstown and Warren. Thanks for the offer.
That's nothing I just drove round trip to Florida and back to pick up an engine for my 70, 31 hours

Get notified of new replies

To Engine guru's, HELP, it doesn't run very well

Quick Reply: Engine guru's, HELP, it doesn't run very well