simply the worst!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 03:48 PM
old68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default simply the worst!!!!!

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...e/1734662.html

these guys in Denver are the worst, I had the misfortune of dealing with them in the past, my flawless restored 68 firebird was a total fraud, totally cobbled together rust bucket,

BE WARNED , I have come across lots of people burned by them,

good news is , the horrible experience led me to this forum and now I got a 65 roadster in my garage, bought via this forum
Old 04-18-2015, 04:39 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,738 Posts

Thanks for warning the C3 Forum.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:28 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi o68,
The scope of the ad tells about the car and seller.
Lot's of exterior photos, 2 interior photos, and 1 engine bay photo.
The seller is counting on the buyer being blinded by the red paint.
Sad but true!
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 04-18-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:44 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,645 Posts

What Alan said............
Old 04-19-2015, 02:33 PM
Pride & Joy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Distracted by the bright red paint....

Please forgive my ignorance, but what's wrong with that car? Obviously there are some aftermarket parts on it, but otherwise it seems to be in pretty good shape.

I'm interested in buying a convertible C3 in the not too distant future, but I'm not sure what to look for. A couple of you truly seem to know what you're talking about, so I'm very interested in your comments. Feel free to "PM" me if you don't want to do so publicly. I think I'm way to easily distracted by the bright red paint and hope to avoid any similar pitfalls in the future! Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:09 PM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Have you looked at the "sticky" on buying a C3? https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html
Old 04-19-2015, 05:21 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Pride & Joy
Please forgive my ignorance, but what's wrong with that car? Obviously there are some aftermarket parts on it, but otherwise it seems to be in pretty good shape.
At a "quick glance", the seller on one hand, is describing the car as a "numbers matching" car, which implies something along the lines of a show car. Then you look at the pictures, which show dull paint, a non-stock hood, and an engine with a bunch of "day two" modifications, which, of course, aren't stock. So what is it, a restored Corvette, or a "resto-modded Corvette, or some sort of beater? Then there's the potential rust in the frame and/or the birdcage.....
Old 04-19-2015, 08:01 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Thanks for the 'heads-up'.

But as I tell many people who are thinking of buying a Corvette is that they need to bring it by so I can check it out. And any person that buys a Corvette out of emotion only deserves everything that they get in the end. Simple as that.

If a person does not know anything about a product they plan to buy...get someone who KNOWS so they can save a bunch of problems....or at least let you know what 'problems' you are facing right off the bat.

DUB
Old 04-19-2015, 08:18 PM
Bad Bird
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
But as I tell many people who are thinking of buying a Corvette is that they need to bring it by so I can check it out. And any person that buys a Corvette out of emotion only deserves everything that they get in the end. Simple as that.
As cruel as it sounds, it's true. I once bought a Corvette purely on emotion and it blinded me to a bunch of flaws that ruined the car for me.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:40 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

To Mr. Pride & Joy: There may be absolutely nothing "wrong" with the car. It may run and drive and be an absolute hoot.

Mine ran and drive and was an absolute hoot when I bought it.

The issue is that this vehicle is being offered, and priced, as a "special" car when the evidence provided is that this is a decent "driver" car with a paint job that could have come out of a rattle can.

I bought a "driver quality" 1970 for $7k. It had issues, but I BOUGHT the issues and am having the time of my life FIXING the issues.

$30k should buy one heck of a car, be it a survivor-style vehicle, or a tastefully modified vehicle.

The evidence that is provided is NOT evidence of "one heck of a car".
Old 04-20-2015, 04:20 AM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Vin

...and they can't even get the VIN correct!! It could be argued that they are falsely representing this vehicle by posting an invalid VIN. Also, the two parts of the front right grille don't line up. And the left side is out just a little, but probably within the tolerances of the day.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Old 04-20-2015, 09:41 AM
bkvette3
Safety Car

Received 93 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Bird
As cruel as it sounds, it's true. I once bought a Corvette purely on emotion and it blinded me to a bunch of flaws that ruined the car for me.

Don't feel bad, brother - happened to me, too on a previous Corvette purchase. Was in my early twenties, thought I knew everything and the pretty paint job caught me. Live and learn.

Last edited by bkvette3; 04-20-2015 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:44 AM
Bad Bird
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

True that.

I was in my early twenties too and I got blindsided by big block goodness. Live and learn. I didn't make the same mistake twice.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:15 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I did not know that a 68 came with a retractile antenna or one piece rocker panels?
Old 04-20-2015, 11:06 AM
jim-81
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 195 Posts

and on the other end of the spectrum, I got very lucky when I bought my 81. I knew NOTHING about them and did NO research and just took it for a short test drive before I decided to buy it. Bought it the next day on a credit card. Totally on emotion. The car has no rust on it but I could have gotten burned bad. Oh, and it's red too. But it wasn't advertised as any type of numbers matching car.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:20 PM
Pride & Joy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks to all for your comments - lots to learn in the Corvette world no doubt!

I find the comments regarding emotion very interesting - one of the things I enjoy the most about the car and its enthusiasts, is the passion that's shared across the entire spectrum of ownership. While I can't imagine buying a Corvette that I wasn't emotionally "smitten" by, I can certainly understand how someone could be quite bitter at overpaying for a car that has been misrepresented. Again, many thanks for your comments. I'll do my best to absorb as much as I can and apply your hard earned wisdom the next time I "fall in love".
Old 04-20-2015, 04:41 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

I like this line under disclosures:

"ORIGINAL 427 BIG BLOCK DATE STAMP RUBBED OFF WHEN RESURFACING THE BLOCK DURING REBUILT. (Common issue with these 427 V8s). Paperwork to prove authenticity."

I'm curious where this one falls in the whole "matching numbers" debate. Thankfully, I have a small block. I'd hate to have to deal with the "common issue" of my numbers rubbing off with those big blocks!

Get notified of new replies

To simply the worst!!!!!

Old 04-20-2015, 05:17 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi P&J,
For me the first clue that CAUTION is in order with car is the asking price.
A very nice REAL 427 68 convertible is a WHOLE lot more $$$ than the asking price of this car.
So just what is this car that makes it sellable for $30k… and probably a little less.
The lack of pictures I mentioned make it impossible to even guess.
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-20-2015, 05:21 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by LeMans Pete
I like this line under disclosures:

"ORIGINAL 427 BIG BLOCK DATE STAMP RUBBED OFF WHEN RESURFACING THE BLOCK DURING REBUILT. (Common issue with these 427 V8s). Paperwork to prove authenticity."

I'm curious where this one falls in the whole "matching numbers" debate. Thankfully, I have a small block. I'd hate to have to deal with the "common issue" of my numbers rubbing off with those big blocks!
My take, one step down.

The block can be original to the car but you can only go by the block number and date at that point. A true NOM would be a block from a different year/car.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:42 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Pride & Joy
Many thanks to all for your comments - lots to learn in the Corvette world no doubt!

I find the comments regarding emotion very interesting - one of the things I enjoy the most about the car and its enthusiasts, is the passion that's shared across the entire spectrum of ownership. While I can't imagine buying a Corvette that I wasn't emotionally "smitten" by, I can certainly understand how someone could be quite bitter at overpaying for a car that has been misrepresented. Again, many thanks for your comments. I'll do my best to absorb as much as I can and apply your hard earned wisdom the next time I "fall in love".
One thing to keep in mind, is the cautions presented here, might be slanted toward Corvettes, but also represent good solid advice on purchasing any older, potentially classic, used car!!

Quick Reply: simply the worst!!!!!