Glasst-top weather stripping, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 05:06 PM
samdjr74
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Glass-top weather stripping, need advice

Hi All,

Do the glass T-tops need a special weather stripping different then what the suppliers sell for the 77-82 tops? I need to order some and just want to make sure I order the right thing. Lastly who makes/sells the best?

Thanks,
Sam

Last edited by samdjr74; 05-08-2015 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:11 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by samdjr74
Hi All,

Do the glass T-tops need a special weather stripping different then what the suppliers sell for the 77-82 tops? I need to order some and just want to make sure I order the right thing. Lastly who makes/sells the best?

Thanks,
Sam
Good luck. I often times run into this also. I do know that often times the pins are not correctly positioned....or the 'spine' of the weatherstrips where the pins are installed is TOO THICK and dense and makes installing the top a scary issue.

I go for softness or the least dense weatherstrip possible. And I have used Corvette Rubber weatherstrips on the fiberglass T-tops and work great...BUT the pins were wrong....and their 'spine' on the 69-77 T-tops is so soft that it can tear easily due to NOT having any type of channel that secures the pins like the factory had.

BUT...what are you going to do?? I have to just deal with it .

If you still have the original latex weatherstrips on the T-tops. You will see what I mean when you install a set and go to install the top.

DUB
Old 05-08-2015, 08:08 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

Dub is right (as usual) about the "scary" first moment when pushing down on the newly installed seals to lock them in on the car. It's partly due to the softness of the old faithful, broken in ones. Mine now seem to have settling down after a month. Yes, it requires the same seals for glass t-tops, and all of the pins on my new set lined up properly as the old, original 1982 seals that I replaced (Willcox orCorvette Central I think - I've bought so much stuff on this addictive hobby that I can't keep it straight, and they sat in their bag for a few months while I got up the nerve.
For additional insights, the 3M Adhesive Remover worked ok to eventually get off the old seals, but keep a little flat black touch-up paint handy for re-applying any paint that pulls up - it was unavoidable in a couple of corners in my case.
Also, you will see that the new (and old( seals are designed to slide/adjust where they screw down (I bought new screws) spas to make maximum needed contact with the door window to prevent leaks.
Overall, it's a satisfying job, but have something soft, like a thick blanket on your work bench to avoid scratching those beautiful mirrored glass tops. Btw, the 3M window seal adhesive (I chose black vs the original equipment yellow, for improved looks. But, first watch a couple of YouTube videos on the topic as it helped me do it right - well mostly right - the first time. There's an art to how you apply the adhesive to both the glass and seals, let it dry, then apply another thin layer to the rubber seal a minute or two before you stick it down. Good luck

Last edited by Lakeside49; 05-08-2015 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:22 PM
samdjr74
Racer

As usual, thanks for the info guys and as DUB said, what are you going to do?

I ordered a set from Willcox last night. Everything I've ever gotten from them works nicely and goes on without an issue. Hopefully it won't be too painful with the weatherstripping lol.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:38 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

I ordered a set from Willcox last night. Everything I've ever gotten from them works nicely and goes on without an issue. Hopefully it won't be too painful with the weatherstripping lol.
Sam

We can work on this together. I ordered a set from Willcox as well back in the fall. I thought it would be a great winter project but did not get around to it until this past week. I am replacing the WX stripe from 1978 glass t-tops

Lakeside is correct. I watched a couple YouTube videos on correct application of adhesive but also learned that while 3M Adhesive Remover is good stuff...it is no longer available.

I also checked the forum archives and came across some great tips...one of which was by Easy Mike. Use 3M Adhesive Cleaner, let it percolate and get a six pack to ease the patience of letting the cleaner work on the WX stripe that remains once the surround is removed.

So, I removed the pins and the latex surround and need to clean it up but waiting for this rain to stop so I can do it outside.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:15 AM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Lakeside49
Dub is right (as usual) about the "scary" first moment when pushing down on the newly installed seals to lock them in on the car. It's partly due to the softness of the old faithful, broken in ones. Mine now seem to have settling down after a month.
My new top seals took about 6 months to become "set" and to allow easier T-top installation. Talcum powder helped in the interm.

Steve
Old 05-11-2015, 10:46 AM
samdjr74
Racer

So it sounds like removing the old stuff is a challenge all on it's own.

Great!

I watched a couple video's too on the installation. Steele Rubber had a short but good one on my classic car. They basically used the adhesive like contact cement and that seemed to work great.

Originally Posted by hunt4cleanair
Sam

We can work on this together. I ordered a set from Willcox as well back in the fall. I thought it would be a great winter project but did not get around to it until this past week. I am replacing the WX stripe from 1978 glass t-tops

Lakeside is correct. I watched a couple YouTube videos on correct application of adhesive but also learned that while 3M Adhesive Remover is good stuff...it is no longer available.

I also checked the forum archives and came across some great tips...one of which was by Easy Mike. Use 3M Adhesive Cleaner, let it percolate and get a six pack to ease the patience of letting the cleaner work on the WX stripe that remains once the surround is removed.

So, I removed the pins and the latex surround and need to clean it up but waiting for this rain to stop so I can do it outside.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:48 AM
samdjr74
Racer

Glass or fiberglass tops? The only reason why I ask is if you have glass tops couldn't you just reshim it until everything settled then reshim after 6 months or so?

Originally Posted by Cavu2u
My new top seals took about 6 months to become "set" and to allow easier T-top installation. Talcum powder helped in the interm.

Steve
Old 05-11-2015, 05:12 PM
DUB
Race Director

Glass or fiberglass tops? The only reason why I ask is if you have glass tops couldn't you just reshim it until everything settled then reshim after 6 months or so?
You could 'try' to add shims...but that still is not going to change the area at the back of the T-top where it pins into the mount that is secured to the 'B' pillar.

AS I wrote....I have found that if the density or the thickness of the 'spine' of the weatherstrip where the pins get inserted into the weatherstrip....THAT is where the problem is.

DUB
Old 05-11-2015, 09:05 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Dub - any weatherstripping that seems to work well?
Old 05-12-2015, 04:40 PM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

So I spent the afternoon outside with 3M cleaner and an Exacto knife. The Exacto knife was more effective.

I don't understand the anatomy of a glass t-top. Once the WX stripe is removed, there persists a bead of adhesive that seems to seal the WX stripe to the inner frame. It appears that the adhesive was used to secure the internal frame to the glass while the WX stripe butted up against the internal frame and glass creating a two-edge seal. The Exacto knife was effective in cutting this seal but took considerably patience. I did spray hesive remover but not sure if it really worked. Once removed, it cleaned up nicely.

I am also replacing the black trim characteristic on Pace Car CC1 tops in contrast to the stainless steel trim on fiberglass tops. It removed easily.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:42 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
Dub - any weatherstripping that seems to work well?
It is a 'toss-up'. I either find a T-top weatherstrip that has too soft of a 'spine'...and thus the push in pins can tear the weatherstrip....OR I find a weatherstrip with a too thick or dense 'spine' and it makes putting the mirrored T-tops in a SCARY EXPERIENCE.

So..what I have found....is that Corvette Rubber T-top weatherstrips for the early design seem to work best...but the pins were wrong...and it took some time to get it in due to the 'spine' was so easily damaged when it was being pulled so the pins could be pressed in....and EVEN pressing in the pins can tear the weatherstrip.

DUB
Old 05-23-2015, 01:48 AM
tomdoc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Shark Racer;1589610924]Dub - any weatherstripping that seems to work well?[/QUOT

"Corvette Rubber" I have found is the best !! Over the years I have replaced the weatherstripping on a few of my cars. About 5 years ago I did my 82 vette. Bought the weatherstripping from Zip or Paragon. Didn't fit well. Gaps and screw holes misaligned!! Was speaking to a very reputable restorer not long ago and he swore by "Corvette Rubber". I just replaced all the weatherstripping on my 68 roadster with "Corvette Rubber" stripping. Every piece fit well and very accurate without gaps or problems at all !! "Corvette Rubber" weatherstripping I was told is manufactured here in the U.S. I was told the Chinese just didn't make rubber products as well as the American maufacturers. Whether that's true or not the weather stripping I bought from "Corvette Rubber" was far superior then what I bought from the other manufactures. Hope this helps, Tom.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:27 PM
samdjr74
Racer

I ended up with Corvette Rubber so hopefully it'll work out well. Right now I just started a month long kitchen remodel so the t-tops will have t wait until July

[QUOTE=tomdoc;1589686876]
Originally Posted by Shark Racer
Dub - any weatherstripping that seems to work well?[/QUOT

"Corvette Rubber" I have found is the best !! Over the years I have replaced the weatherstripping on a few of my cars. About 5 years ago I did my 82 vette. Bought the weatherstripping from Zip or Paragon. Didn't fit well. Gaps and screw holes misaligned!! Was speaking to a very reputable restorer not long ago and he swore by "Corvette Rubber". I just replaced all the weatherstripping on my 68 roadster with "Corvette Rubber" stripping. Every piece fit well and very accurate without gaps or problems at all !! "Corvette Rubber" weatherstripping I was told is manufactured here in the U.S. I was told the Chinese just didn't make rubber products as well as the American maufacturers. Whether that's true or not the weather stripping I bought from "Corvette Rubber" was far superior then what I bought from the other manufactures. Hope this helps, Tom.

Get notified of new replies

To Glasst-top weather stripping, need advice

Quick Reply: Glasst-top weather stripping, need advice