C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front clip replacement on dolly, or frame?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 08:33 PM
jr73
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 166 Posts

Default Front clip replacement on dolly, or frame?

I wanted to avoid this but since my front body panels are so bad I feel this would make the most sense. I've been doing searches for a few days now but no one really specifies if this should be done while the body is on the frame or can it be done on the body dolly like mine is now. I'm thinking on the frame is the way to go but just want to hear from you guys.
Opinions?

Last edited by jr73; 11-29-2015 at 10:42 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:35 PM
LT-1 kid
Melting Slicks

Received 245 Likes on 170 Posts

I would do the clip with the body on the frame for sure
Old 11-29-2015, 08:42 PM
Texas70
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is hard enough getting the front clip lined up with the body on the frame, I cannot imagine how far out of alignment it would be if done off the frame.

I believe you would need a jig set up to get good results....just my opinion.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:03 PM
Andy Tuttle
Melting Slicks

Received 392 Likes on 340 Posts

I haven't got to that point yet jr, but I am planning to do all my work on frame. Too many variables with it off frame. JMHO
Old 11-29-2015, 09:58 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas70
It is hard enough getting the front clip lined up with the body on the frame, I cannot imagine how far out of alignment it would be if done off the frame.

I believe you would need a jig set up to get good results....just my opinion.

I "test fit" mine 3 times before it got glued on, used a bunch of clamps & paint sticks for spacers.... I couldn`t even IMAGINE doing it off the frame!
Old 11-29-2015, 10:03 PM
jr73
Drifting

Ok I just stumbled onto this one http://www.corvette-restoration.com/...lacement_1.htm clearly show the frame
Old 11-29-2015, 10:05 PM
jr73
Drifting

so apparently there's a slower setting panel adhesive? Lord Fusor 127EZ.
its good to have more time to move stuff around, right?

Last edited by jr73; 11-29-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:20 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by jr73
so apparently there's a slower setting panel adhesive? Lord Fusor 127EZ.
its good to have more time to move stuff around, right?
Yes.... I used a 3M product similar to the Lord Fusor stuff.... it had a 45 minute working time. Gave me plenty of time to get everything situated, and all the clamps in place. You can get shorter, or longer work times.
The following 2 users liked this post by oldgto:
jr73 (11-29-2015), KYC4 (11-29-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 06:37 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Default clip

You should have the car on the ground sitting on it's tires. Make sure you have the core support in. Try your hood for fitment and also the wiper door (if you have one). Eyebrow trim and door gaps need to be checked also. This Lord Fusor sets in 40 min. which if you have set the clip and done all of these checks should have enough time. I also have the pneumatic adhesive gun if you would like to use it. Dean Fuller enjoyed using it instead of the hand held pump gun. PM me if you are interested. You can check out my post which shows a lot of how and what was used.
ZIO
Old 11-30-2015, 07:29 AM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by rvzio
You should have the car on the ground sitting on it's tires. Make sure you have the core support in. Try your hood for fitment and also the wiper door (if you have one). Eyebrow trim and door gaps need to be checked also. This Lord Fusor sets in 40 min. which if you have set the clip and done all of these checks should have enough time. I also have the pneumatic adhesive gun if you would like to use it. Dean Fuller enjoyed using it instead of the hand held pump gun. PM me if you are interested. You can check out my post which shows a lot of how and what was used.
ZIO
I've got my front clip on the car for test fitting / alignment. I planned to use SMC panel adhesive at the recommendation of DUB (although he did not say NO to the tube products). The application of the evercoat concerns me as far as cleanliness and time, so still on the fence.

I would possibly be interested in taking you up on the offer w/ use of the pneumatic gun!

Going to check out your posts now..
Old 11-30-2015, 09:27 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
I've got my front clip on the car for test fitting / alignment. I planned to use SMC panel adhesive at the recommendation of DUB (although he did not say NO to the tube products). The application of the evercoat concerns me as far as cleanliness and time, so still on the fence.

I would possibly be interested in taking you up on the offer w/ use of the pneumatic gun!

Going to check out your posts now..
I did mention to Dub what I was going to use and basically said what ever you are comfortable with. In getting help from Dub he has never really pushed something on you unless it would seriously affect the outcome and even then he will always leave it up to you. Is help with my project has been immeasurable.
ZIO
Old 11-30-2015, 10:06 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Definitely the only way to go is on the frame, everything aligned and tightened down on the frame. I've used the Lord Fusor products on several front clips and it works great. Get the slower setting stuff. It has the same results in the end and it gives you plenty of time if you have already pre-fit the clip dry. I just recently used it on a 54 Corvette front clip and they are more involved than the C3 clips and it still allowed plenty of work time before setting up.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:08 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

YES...the body on the frame....shimmed and CORRECT...which means it is ALSO on the ground with the tire and wheels air up correctly ....BEFORE the front clip is being fitted and bonded. ALL parts associated with the front clip need to checked BEFORE you go and bond it on.....OR....you MIGHT regret it!!! ALL retainers that are factory riveted in place need to be on before you bond it on...because you WILL regret that.(depending on year model). If you care about the 'small details' that make or break a job the further you get into it and realize that you missed an IMPORTANT STEP! SO...slow down and pay attention. I like used to say to my crew.... "Do not assume anything!!!"

AND YES...I personally do not use the 2-part LORD FUSOR or any other type of adhesive like this when I bond on a front clip ( up to 1982 ). I have my reasons....because I have been burned by it before. I DO use it for the 1984-on Corvettes. AS previously written in an above post....use what YOU want. In 99% of the cases I use the Evercoats SMC Panel Adhesive (part number 994) The 1% that I don't...I use the correct adhesive like GM used to pass the visual look on the early Corvettes.

And YES...I still hear from people who have concerns on how fast the SMC panel adhesive will set up...but what they still seem to forget is that THEY can control the cure rate. A few years ago...I installed an aftermarket one-piece front clip on a 1964 and it took three days for it to rock up...but when it did...that front clip WILL never come off unless someone grinds it off. I just installed a front clip on a 1967 using the SMC panel adhesive by MYSELF and had no problems getting it installed and fitted and the SMC panel adhesive still had an hour or two before it started to get really hard. I can tell you that the small tube of hardener DOES NOT get ALL used when you use the entire quart of the 994.

Use what you want to bond on a front clip.....I AM NOT trying to tell anyone what to do with their own car. And whatever your choice or decision is...I wish them the best of results with that decision. Simple as that.

DUB
Old 11-30-2015, 06:14 PM
jr73
Drifting

Dub, when you say" ALL retainers that are factory riveted in place need to be on before you bond it on..." what do you mean? where are they located?
Old 11-30-2015, 06:21 PM
DUB
Race Director

You did not write the year model....which DOES make a difference...so ...I assume it is a 1973??? But I also know MANY forum members that switch up and sell a Corvette and get another...so it is hard to tell unless you write the year of your Corvette in your posts.....because as you know...NOT all 'C3's' are the same.

Please confirm your year model.

DUB
Old 11-30-2015, 06:29 PM
jr73
Drifting

Oops sorry, its a 73 coupe
Old 11-30-2015, 06:47 PM
DUB
Race Director

You are good to GO. If you had a 1972 or earlier...there would be many to check.

On your 1973...The retainer for the front bumper to top hood surround (in front of the headlights) and the lower fender (valance panel area)...and the fender to side bumper retainers on the side of the front fenders ( by the side marker lights) are pop riveted on and can be access easily.

AND..and of the black seals where bumper braces and extension go through the inner skirts may need to be removed and stapled back in place....and those are much easier with the clip off for easy access.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
jr73 (11-30-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 07:32 PM
jr73
Drifting

thanks DUB I'm gonna go study those

Get notified of new replies

To Front clip replacement on dolly, or frame?

Quick Reply: Front clip replacement on dolly, or frame?