Sponsored by:

Best motor mount for vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 10:31 PM
Dean_Fuller
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Best motor mount for vibration?

Is there a better motor mount for minimizing motor vibration? Unlike most I am looking to make my 1970 SMOOTH. Wondering if anyone has tried mount that helps in that regard...also for the auto trans. thanks, Dean
Old 08-21-2016, 11:30 PM
CFLVette
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I tend to favor rubber vs. poly motor mounts. Nothing wrong with urethane mounts, but they tend to be harder than rubber, so if you're looking to smooth out engine vibration I'd suggest rubber motor mounts... along with a good tune-up.

A few years ago I used polyurethane motor and tranny mounts on a 1989 Trans Am I used to own and did not particularly care for them.

Just make sure motor and transmission mount are of the same material.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:20 AM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

fix the vibration problem, is the best solution.
Rubber is the best material to absorb vibration.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:58 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I second that...RUBBER mounts are the way to go when vibration is a concern. Just be careful who you buy them from due to many begin sold are too wide where the mount slips over the mount perch on the frame. And actually it also would be BEST if the hole where the bolt that goes through the motor mount and frame perch area has a kidney bean shaped oval slot...instead of a round hole. This kidney bean oval slot allows for the bolts to go in a bit easier than mounts with a dedicated hole.

I can not remember the last set where I got them from..they were a tad bit wider than needed...and I either got them from Corvette Central or Corvette America.

You will see what I am referring to when you have an original and then get what is offered on how the mount has front and back play when placed on the perch.

DUB
Old 08-23-2016, 12:44 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

GOOD synthetic rubber mounts are best for minimizing vibration transfer. Most (if not all) Chinese & Mexican rubber is JUNK and will not last long. Call NAPA and ask who makes the best synthetic rubber mounts. Check internet discussions. Then make your choice.

I can guarantee to you that the least expensive mount is NOT what you want....
Old 08-23-2016, 11:00 AM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I would only ever use rubber mounts for a stock street driven car. In my opinion these are the best you can do:

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...50g&ukey=29608

I put them on my 1970 a few years ago and they are great.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:50 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Weird how GM used them for everything (even H.P. engines) for decades without problems. Maybe the rubber they chose was a LOT better than what the gypo outfits are selling today....

Personally, I would not purchase 'critical' component parts from a specialty supply store. Mounts, suspension, steering, and brake components should come from a trusted manufacturing source...not through a second or third-tier supplier.

Call NAPA or other good supplier for such important components.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:25 PM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I think if you compare that CC mount to one from NAPA, you'll find the CC one to be superior. The CC one is designed with nearly the same thickness at the bolt location as a GM original, while the NAPA ones are often much thinner at that location.

And yes, rubber all the way.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:13 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH.

I would NOT waste my time on NAPA. I have a huge distribution center down the street from my shop and I have TRIED just about every motor mount they sell and NONE of them are correct. Something is off in one way shape form or another. You might think i am full of it...but....I would LOVE for someone to find the correct mount at like the facotry mount..and post a photo of it with the original BESIDE IT and have it come from NAPA. I have spent HOURS hunting the correct mounts...and what is offered currently is really close...but not PERFECT to the originals...like I wrote in my last post.

I even called ANCHOR and talked with them...NO LUCK there. AND I also called 'Western' if my memory serves me correctly who supplied OReilly Auto parts and had no luck there.

DUB
Old 08-24-2016, 12:40 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Sorry to hear that, DUB. Maybe NAPA has gone down that 'dark' road along with the other car parts places. You know...that road where profit is more important than the customer....

Get notified of new replies

To Best motor mount for vibration?

Quick Reply: Best motor mount for vibration?