Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 02:00 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi TJ,
Philosophy 101.
I strongly believe that each of us that 'plays' with cars only has a certain number of serious restorations/rebuilds 'in us' before we say… 'enough'; sorta like cat's lives. (I'm not talking about having someone else do it.)
For that reason I think that anyone who undertakes a car like you picture better REALLY want to do THAT car because they're using up one of the car 'lives' AND a good bit of their enthusiasm, energy, and money!
Regards,
Alan
I couldn't agree more Alan !
Old 10-11-2016, 02:58 PM
Tuna Joe
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 88 Posts

Hi TJ,
Philosophy 101.
I strongly believe that each of us that 'plays' with cars only has a certain number of serious restorations/rebuilds 'in us' before we say… 'enough'; sorta like cat's lives. (I'm not talking about having someone else do it.)
For that reason I think that anyone who undertakes a car like you picture better REALLY want to do THAT car because they're using up one of the car 'lives' AND a good bit of their enthusiasm, energy, and money!
Regards,
Alan
wise words Alan.

Thank you
Old 10-11-2016, 05:36 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Lobzila
Shifters in it but no transmission?
Price is right, go for it. Bet a lot of it will clean up. And while some of it is gone, a lot of it is still there.
I second it, go get the trailer. The car in SoCal? I will help you pull it home.
Shifter is bolted to the frame.
The following users liked this post:
Mdbirk (09-14-2022)
Old 10-11-2016, 05:40 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by jnb5101
What's with the "454" hood?
LT1's have the same hood as the 454's.

If those are original hubcaps they can fetch a lot of $$$$ alone.

Last edited by theandies; 10-11-2016 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:03 PM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

Originally Posted by Tuna Joe
Hi Alan
I would not be as interested in saving it if it wasn't an LT1.
I'd still take it as a parts car though to sell.

Good catch on the tach. It does look like it red lines lower than it should.
And what's a TI line?
TJ,

With the few indicators used, in just a couple pictures, I'm leaning more towards the side of it being a base motor AC car, looks like green/standard saddle? It's not uncommon for the console plate to have been replaced along with the (easily seen) non original hood.

Earlier, I posted as a question about the tach, in an attempt to "let you down easy", and hoped you might research it further. The way the car is sitting on the ground also makes me VERY concerned about it's frame. I can say through experience that, THAT car, will cost more to restore than you could sell it for. But to many that means absolutely nothing, like me. I want every last remaining Corvette, roaring down the highway!

Lastly, any '70 LT 1, IMO, has to have some factory documentation or I'll be a sceptic about it's true identity, period.
seacliffe301 (07-16-2022)
Old 10-12-2016, 12:10 AM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Hi TJ,
Philosophy 101.
Regards,
Alan
Very good point. I can say from personal experience, after having done two cars, extensively disassembled, then rebuilt, I have little desire to do another. The sense of adventure is pretty much gone, been there, done that. I'm currently on the fence as to whether I want to finish off my current Corvette. Depend on how much it will cost to have the body work and paint done, work I cannot do. I couldn't bring myself to do another, I'd prefer to buy one already done or a nice original. Two top to bottom projects are enough for me.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:11 AM
Tuna Joe
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by War Bonnet
TJ,

With the few indicators used, in just a couple pictures, I'm leaning more towards the side of it being a base motor AC car, looks like green/standard saddle? It's not uncommon for the console plate to have been replaced along with the (easily seen) non original hood.

Earlier, I posted as a question about the tach, in an attempt to "let you down easy", and hoped you might research it further. The way the car is sitting on the ground also makes me VERY concerned about it's frame. I can say through experience that, THAT car, will cost more to restore than you could sell it for. But to many that means absolutely nothing, like me. I want every last remaining Corvette, roaring down the highway!

Lastly, any '70 LT 1, IMO, has to have some factory documentation or I'll be a sceptic about it's true identity, period.
Thank you WB.
My friend with the car is getting married next month but when he returns from his honeymoon I'll be stopping by to take a look at the car closer.
You have a good eye, as he did say the car had been wrecked at some point.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:40 AM
Franks73
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

As always, great advice from Alan 71!
Old 10-13-2016, 11:38 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Hi TJ,
Philosophy 101.
Regards,
Alan
true, Alan, but a free Corvette will at least always find its way home for a bit (if I'm offered one)
Old 10-18-2016, 06:35 PM
Mike 92LX
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Grab that car
Old 10-27-2016, 03:31 AM
LT1M21Vette
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Tubbafatt
Looks fairly rough but but I don't think it's unsavable. Especially if there's very little rust and the body is solid. Even if it wouldnt be cost effective to do an original restoration, I think it would make a great hot rod project for someone.
And you say your buddy will just give it to you? What are you doing here, go get a trailer!!
It would make an awesome track day car.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:13 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

The main reason being I've followed a few restore threads on this forum and see how they can take over your life and bank account.
They will, pass on that car unless you want to take too much time parting it out. sitting in the dirt like that bet the frames rusted to death.

Sure free sounds good but may be too expensive. If it was worth it your buddy would have done it already he just wants some free junk removal.
Youll have years in it and more than it will ever be worth imo
Old 10-28-2016, 08:31 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If you don't have the money to refurbish that vehicle into a decent Corvette and then keep it for yourself....or take it as only a 'parts' car to disassemble and sell off...you should just take a pass on it. The amount of personal labor you would need to put into that car would never be recovered by the sale of the resulting car.

Restoring that car would have to be a 'labor of love'. And, it appears that it is not a real LT-1 car, anyway. There were no air-conditioned LT-1 cars in 1970.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 10-28-2016 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:06 AM
Tim Ware
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I know this doesn't answer your question, but what about just saving it from its horrible grave ? Bring it home, just clean it up & sell it to someone who has the time , but not the money, to get into a big restoration. I've seen this many times. A person with very limited resources buys a vehicle that looks like its not worth anything, but its all they can afford. Five years later, they have a running car they can drive. But they did it with the few extra dollars they put aside each week.
Yes, I'm a bit of a romantic about these things. But I am a big supporter of " Bring Them Back From The Grave ". This car, or any one for that matter, deserves a better life than rotting away in a field ( or under a pepper tree ) If not you, then another member ?
Just my emotional opinion, Tim

Last edited by Tim Ware; 10-28-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:14 PM
LT1M21Vette
Pro

Originally Posted by Tim Ware
I know this doesn't answer your question, but what about just saving it from its horrible grave ? Bring it home, just clean it up & sell it to someone who has the time , but not the money, to get into a big restoration. I've seen this many times. A person with very limited resources buys a vehicle that looks like its not worth anything, but its all they can afford. Five years later, they have a running car they can drive. But they did it with the few extra dollars they put aside each week.
Yes, I'm a bit of a romantic about these things. But I am a big supporter of " Bring Them Back From The Grave ". This car, or any one for that matter, deserves a better life than rooting away in a field ( or under a pepper tree ) If not you, then another member ?
Just my emotional opinion, Tim
Damaged beyond economical repair.
seacliffe301 (07-16-2022)
Old 10-28-2016, 04:25 PM
suprspooky
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts

My 2c, if nothing else you can help finance your 71 by parting it out (while helping some members at the same time). Too bad it's so far away from me ;(
Old 10-31-2016, 11:54 AM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

First, I would get it home, get it cleaned up, and then evaluate it. See what you need for your BB project, then decide what you want to do. Parting out is a real PITA especially when it interferes with the other projects!

Then advertise it online as a project car for someone else to enjoy

Last edited by mikem350; 10-31-2016 at 11:56 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Junk 1970 LT1 worth saving?

Old 10-31-2016, 02:47 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Parting it out sounds good...but what if the very first person to want a part chooses the crankshaft? Then you have to completely disassemble the motor to get at it--then clean it up and box it up--then ship it out.

Of course, you could say you will only sell the motor "complete", but you get my drift: you have to disassemble, clean, package and ship ANY piece that someone wants. And you can recover no costs for that work, OTHER than what you can fairly charge for that part. In many cases, since the parts are all USED, that amount would not pay for itself.

You should go whatever route you choose with this car; but you should be aware of all the 'negatives' involved with every possible scenario.

Good luck
Old 11-08-2016, 08:52 PM
LT1M21Vette
Pro

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Parting it out sounds good...but what if the very first person to want a part chooses the crankshaft? Then you have to completely disassemble the motor to get at it--then clean it up and box it up--then ship it out.

Of course, you could say you will only sell the motor "complete", but you get my drift: you have to disassemble, clean, package and ship ANY piece that someone wants. And you can recover no costs for that work, OTHER than what you can fairly charge for that part. In many cases, since the parts are all USED, that amount would not pay for itself.
Then you have all the dreamers/tire kickers who will inquire about some parts, they will want a few pictures, they will want a shipping quote, and then, they will tell you they don't have the money right now to buy said parts, money they did not have to begin with...
Old 11-08-2016, 09:18 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Hi TJ,
Eagle eye WB caught the tach.
The tach redline for 70 LT-! cars is 6500.
Regards,
Alan
Correct.. and this car has AC which wasn't available in 1970 lt-1 cars plus I'd go looking at the driver inner fender for the TI amp box.. All LT-1 cars had TI ignition. (I own one).

To me the bottom line question is if this car is worth restoring.. In my humble opinion.. NO. We see this every week in our shop and as recently as three weeks ago where we re-framed a 1972 coupe. The cost to re-frame the car was close to the value of the car so it's like throwing good money at bad. We tried to talk the customer out of it but the car had sentimental value to it and he elected to do it.

If this car is free.. or if there is even a small cash transaction I'd gladly take it because there are too many valuable parts on the car to pass it over. If the hood is the real deal then that alone would cover your cost of removing the car.

Again.. It's just my opinion, but parts wise.. The suspension alone is worth 500, the rear the same, the hood the same (maybe more).. then you figure the small parts.. Seats, Dash pads if good..

I doubt this car is the real deal and you'd need more proof to go with it to say it's an LT-1. The tach, the rear end, the core support and fan blades, and the fact that this car has an AC dash seems to point to me that someone was trying to clone one in the past.

Willcox

Quick Reply: Junk 1970 LT1 worth saving?