C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would seriously appreciate your thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 05:21 PM
wcgreen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would seriously appreciate your thoughts...

I'm sorry for the long post, but I would really welcome any advice any and all of you might have. I am very new to the site, and new to owning a Vette. My first post here, you guys helped me out tremendously. I just purchased a 77 in great condition and it started having noise in the rear. Two shops and $500 later, it was not fixed. Many of you suggested changing out the fluid in the rear and adding 8 oz. of additive... fixed! So, I am back to get your knowledgeable advice.

My story. I am about to be 52 next week. Was an actor and freelance artist for decades and traveled working since 1992. Stopped it all to take care of my mom and dad and ended up getting married at 45. Became clear I had to go get my masters so I could have some stability, so I am now at University of Alabama getting that and teaching while I do. My wife is still in FL to join me in may when my stepdaughter graduates.

So, I had a bike to save money. Totaled it in September. We decided I could get my dream car... which I did. 77 vette, 69k original miles, only thing replaced are the exhaust, carpet, master cylinder, shocks, and a few odds and ends. It's my only car, and my daily driver till the wife arrives. I know. Not practical. But this is to be my last car. This is it for me. I fix this one up as I drive it... maybe a bike for when its having work done, and we have our family car.

Well, out of the blue, my wife files for divorce. Long story. Shocked. So, now I am in grad school at 52, and have a 77 vette and nothing else. Two days ago it rained badly and the car leaked like a sive. Bits of rust and water coming out above my head at top of windshield. It now reeks inside to high heaven or wet mold after one day.

I don't want to get rid of the car... plus it will be tough... no title as the state of AL does not title cars this old. My plan was to do the car in stages:
January- Door panels- only cracked parts in the car. Needed
Some interior odds and ends, new trim rings and center caps, new rocker trim, seat belts.

Summer was to be ball joints, wheel bearings, and maybe trailing arms.

Once hired at a University after graduation- rebuild original engine, paint.

Well, now this is my ONLY car, and clearly it's gotta have the windshield done with the severe leaks and I have to drive it daily. So, what would you do, and what order? I am being VERY candid here. I have horrible credit... due to 6 hospitalizations in past 4 years. So, getting a credit card, or loan to restore the car once I am working won't happen. I have been taking out loans till my wife joined me. I was not going to have to since she would be here my last year, but she will not any longer. That said, I can get another loan. If you were in MY shoes...

would you fork out the dough and do the windshield, body and repaint now to save the interior?

Keep it as dry as possible and do the suspension or engine?

I'm just saying, I will have access to 5k now, and may not for another 5+ years... is the rusted windshield frame and leaks something to do while I can and before anything else?

What would you do? I welcome your thoughts. Sorry for the long post.

Billy

https://s17.postimg.org/kwc5fod6n/image2_11.jpg
https://s17.postimg.org/t3xei9ytb/image3_6.jpg
https://s18.postimg.org/qrsmiogop/image1_19.jpg
https://s11.postimg.org/dufyhajhf/image4_2.jpg

Last edited by wcgreen; 12-06-2016 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:11 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

wow you have been through a lot !

seems like your not planning to do any of the work on the car yourself ?

if you have to pay someone to do work then that money wont last long .

If it were me I would look closer at all the steel work (birdcage , chassis etc.) and find out just what your up against before you throw any money at it .

nice looking car btw
The following users liked this post:
wcgreen (12-08-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 06:16 PM
wcgreen
Intermediate

Thank you. No, I'm in an apt and no access or time to do much anyway. I can do junk like alternators, replacing int stuff, adjusting door glass, but that's about it. Yeah, it's been a rough month so far.

Originally Posted by bazza77
wow you have been through a lot !

seems like your not planning to do any of the work on the car yourself ?

if you have to pay someone to do work then that money wont last long .

If it were me I would look closer at all the steel work (birdcage , chassis etc.) and find out just what your up against before you throw any money at it .

nice looking car btw
Old 12-06-2016, 07:06 PM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

Wow, hope things work out for you. I'd be concerned about the birdcage.
wcgreen (12-08-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 07:14 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 544 Posts

Maybe I missed something, but how/why did you purchase a car with no title?
Old 12-06-2016, 07:16 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I have to admit, I'm concerned for you. Rust coming from the windshield area is not good. I'd pull the kick panels on both sides and see what you can see, and would make the leaking windshield a priority to fix if it it's financially possible and makes financial sense. While it looks like a nice car on the outside, I think the car needs a very thorough examination by someone who really knows what to look for as far as rust is concerned. I'm crossing my fingers for you and hoping you get some good news.
wcgreen (12-08-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 07:24 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Originally Posted by kanvasman
Maybe I missed something, but how/why did you purchase a car with no title?
That's the way they do things in AL.

OP, unless you can bicycle everywhere you need to go, then you might have a plan because your car is going to be out of commission for a year or more. Second, 5k is not going to get you very far in getting this done.

My advice is to sell the car and buy a nice little Toyota that isn't going to leech every dime you have. After you graduate and have a real job then buy another car then.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:31 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Get rid of the Corvette. A used Toyota Corolla is what you need. Sorry to be so blunt.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:34 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

No titles in ga here either pre 69 I think. Hey Roll Tide! I am an Alabama graduate. Would love to be in T town these days!
Old 12-06-2016, 07:43 PM
Syl1953
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 182 Likes on 124 Posts

So sorry to hear of your series of misfortune. I completely agree with Zoomin, sell it, buy an older, low mileage Toyota. Get your life back on track. When all is right buy another corvette. Hang around this website in the meantime, learn, and live vicariously in the classic car world. John Lennon once said " Life is what happens when you are making plans" Keep your head up and I wish you the best, Mark
Old 12-06-2016, 09:44 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Wow, sorry to hear of your misfortune. If it were me, I wouldn't sell it. That's the voice of reason and there's nothing sensible (or meant to be sensible) about a Corvette. Buy a clunker if you feel you need a backup and will have it off the road a while. A 20 year old Corolla costs nothing to purchase and run. Or a cheap motor bike. Then get work done on the Vette as you can. I too would be very concerned about rust coming out with the water. Getting on top of fixing that would be my number one priority. Having the car solid is the most important thing, niceties can come later, in my opinion anyway.
wcgreen (12-08-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 10:17 PM
MajD
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

If you have the space and want to keep the car, I can appreciate that, but these old Corvettes were never designed to last 30+ years. Wiring, vacuum lines, bushings, body mounts, suspension components, weather stripping, etc. all eventually require attention. Most C3 corvettes I'm familiar with require regular infusions of cash unless they've been restored.

Based on that, I agree with Metalhead if you're really set on keeping the car. Put it in "dry dock" and work on it as the funds are available and use the money you were going to spend on the car to purchase a daily driver.

You really do need to sort out the leak issue first. If that's been going on for a while, you could be in for some extensive, serious, and expensive repairs. If the birdcage is rotted, I would get rid of the car unless you're the type that enjoys fixing that sort of thing. But before you decide that, explore some of the threads on this forum by members that have done that work. It's probably the most extensive repair you can make on a C3. It requires time, money, tools, and space.

The good news is that there is no shortage of neat, clean, relatively low maintenance C3s to be had for a reasonable price. So it's not the end of the world if the one you have is ready for the parts bin. Just my opinion of course, but I hope it helps in your decision making.

MajD
wcgreen (12-08-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 10:52 PM
wcgreen
Intermediate

Thanks all. So, even though the car is super solid and just about everything on it is in great condition.., AC works, engine is solid, undercarriage is solid, interior is great, if the birdcage is rusted I need to scrap the car? I was under the impression ALL C3s need this done and that there are plenty of guys that do this repair. My research said 2-4k and that includes repainting, depending on if it's got to be repaired where the frame goes into the body. I've searched for people that know these cars in the area and found no one here or Bham. Would like to find someone that knows and can look at it. Haven't been able to even just find a mechanic that's excited to just work on it on some things I wanted done like simple brake wiring and some ball joint work.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:58 PM
Tom69
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 249 Likes on 110 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Zoomin
That's the way they do things in AL.

OP, unless you can bicycle everywhere you need to go, then you might have a plan because your car is going to be out of commission for a year or more. Second, 5k is not going to get you very far in getting this done.

My advice is to sell the car and buy a nice little Toyota that isn't going to leech every dime you have. After you graduate and have a real job then buy another car then.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:12 PM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

If your apartment complex doesn't have covered parking, you need sell the vette....2-4 K wouldn't even fix the birdcage rust issues much less paint it....No one wants to work on them cause they are a PITA to work on but that goes for just about any 40 year car.

Brian
Old 12-06-2016, 11:15 PM
rastafford3164
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Most young mechanics don't know anything about them and you say Corvette to an older guy and they say NO! I figure part of owning is doing it yourself anyway so I study study study til I figure I can do it. When I get something like the Corvette I have usually waited, scratched, and waited some more so I hate giving up what I got. So I am in the camp if keep the Vette and find an El cheapo daily like the Toyota. That being said, the rust with the water inside sounds bad and if you are in an apartment and the Vette will still be out in the weather leaking and getting worse until it can be repaired, selling may be the option if you can't get it stored inside. Good luck with your decision.

wcgreen (12-08-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 12:08 AM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,395 Posts

Originally Posted by paul 74
Get rid of the Corvette. A used Toyota Corolla is what you need. Sorry to be so blunt.
Best advice by far.

Get notified of new replies

To Would seriously appreciate your thoughts...

Old 12-07-2016, 12:48 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

What everyone here on this Forum is concerned about is the bits of rust coming in with the rain from roof leaks. That is a BIG telltale indication that the birdcage (aka, the frame structure around the passenger compartment--including the internal supports around the windshield) has been seriously compromised.

But, this is only supposition from your description. Someone would have to open up the windshield hardware to access the framing for a good evaluation.

Also from your description, the mechanical workings of the car seem to be fine. So, that is a real PLUS!

If this Corvette is going to work for you at all, you will need to fix the leaks in the roof. With fingers crossed, new weatherseals on the T-tops might resolve your immediate problem. These are not terribly expensive nor particularly difficult to do. BUT, having prior experience in doing this job is valuable; without some knowledge of this work, you might have limited success of making it seal well. I highly recommend finding someone who has that experience and can do the job for a reasonable amount. To locate such a person/shop, you need to contact some folks in Corvette clubs (with older cars...newer model Corvette clubs would be of NO use to you on this one). Not many car shows this late in the season, so not much help there.

If you can get the leaks sealed, you might have a shot at keeping this car as your daily driver. If you can't get it sealed up, you need to store it for when you can do the work needed and buy a reliable 'beater' for the time being.
wcgreen (12-08-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 01:04 AM
wcgreen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
What everyone here on this Forum is concerned about is the bits of rust coming in with the rain from roof leaks. That is a BIG telltale indication that the birdcage (aka, the frame structure around the passenger compartment--including the internal supports around the windshield) has been seriously compromised.

But, this is only supposition from your description. Someone would have to open up the windshield hardware to access the framing for a good evaluation.

Also from your description, the mechanical workings of the car seem to be fine. So, that is a real PLUS!

If this Corvette is going to work for you at all, you will need to fix the leaks in the roof. With fingers crossed, new weather seals on the T-tops might resolve your immediate problem. These are not terribly expensive nor particularly difficult to do. BUT, having prior experience in doing this job is valuable; without some knowledge of this work, you might have limited success of making it seal well. I highly recommend finding someone who has that experience and can do the job for a reasonable amount. To locate such a person/shop, you need to contact some folks in Corvette clubs (with older cars...newer model Corvette clubs would be of NO use to you on this one). Not many car shows this late in the season, so not much help there.

If you can get the leaks sealed, you might have a shot at keeping this car as your daily driver. If you can't get it sealed up, you need to store it for when you can do the work needed and buy a reliable 'beater' for the time being.

The fellow I bought the car from replaced all the hoses, belts, etc, and all the door seals and t-top seals. He didn't adjust the side glass though as it's got serious gaps all around and I was going to do this when I replace the door panels. They do leak with a hose, but this is not what I was mentioning in the post. Its water running down the windshield post near the dash and right where the center interior windshield trim piece meets the left and right pieces as well as a spot over the backrest of the passenger seat. I do know all the rubber was replaced on the t-tops.

You can look at the trim around the windshield and see that years ago, the glass was resealed... its been a while but you can tell they either replaced the glass at one time or sealed it again. He purchased the car from the original owner who was a friend of his dad's. Man and a woman- her's was the '77 and his was a '79. Both parked in a garage since 96. Elderly and just sold him the pair. He fixed stuff- tires, brakes, master cylinders, carpet, exhaust, lines, belts, radio, paint, etc., and flipped them. I can post more pics if it matters.

Last edited by wcgreen; 12-07-2016 at 01:09 AM.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:36 AM
Syl1953
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 182 Likes on 124 Posts

As mentioned, remove the kick panels down by your feet and inspect there for rust. They come out easily and will speak volumes. You sound determined to keep the car and that's understandable. By inspecting in that area, you will be able to see some of what is in store. Mark
wcgreen (12-08-2016)

Quick Reply: Would seriously appreciate your thoughts...