Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

77 Resto-Mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 07:43 PM
badapplegolf
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

While I fully expect to find a wire harness, or such that I missed, It was totally disheartening to realize I had missed the entire rear bumper. Had already removed all the lights and such. Was just putting it off till I got a air ratchet for all those nuts. Then I finally located a cherry picker, got excited, and, well, as I posted on my website, "I've lost enough blood, and salty body fluids for this weekend. I'm not sure if it's sweat, or tears dripping off my nose right now."
Fear not tho, I'll continue to post all the other dumbazz things I do. We all need a little comidic relief, right? Thanks to all who are following this build, I promise to try to entertain as it goes.
The following users liked this post:
LuckySeventySeven (10-03-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 08:27 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

although I didn't miss a whole bumper ,when I did mine I think the small earth strap by the drivers feet got about 4 inches longer .

as long as you aren't renting the cherry picker by the hour I think your still good
Old 03-20-2017, 10:13 PM
badapplegolf
Instructor

Are engine hoists available another way other than hourly rentals?

LOL no, the Las Vegas market is so rife with scams when doing online used parts buying, it just makes things more complicated. Out of maybe 20 cherry pickers offered for sale online locally, took me 2 weeks to actually find one that was actually for sale for cash money.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:32 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by badapplegolf
Are engine hoists available another way other than hourly rentals?

LOL no, the Las Vegas market is so rife with scams when doing online used parts buying, it just makes things more complicated. Out of maybe 20 cherry pickers offered for sale online locally, took me 2 weeks to actually find one that was actually for sale for cash money.
wow , well there's no scamming people around here
Old 03-25-2017, 10:32 PM
badapplegolf
Instructor

So I finally got the rear bumper cover off

I spent all day trying various lift points to get the body to hang level. I must have lifted it 10 different ways. With my limited head room, I could not find a way for it to work using a single pick point. The main problem it seems is using the simple hook to rocker panel method. This method only works when pulling straight up, If you add angle to the load strap, then the hook will just slide along the rocker panel.

I did find the original build sheet, but it's in very bad condition. Totally dry wrotted. I set it aside for later inspection, but don't have hi hopes for it.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:54 PM
badapplegolf
Instructor

The best I was able to come up with just using a single cherry picker to lift, left about 30 lbs positive weight in the front end. A second set of hands could easily overcome this, and your good to go. But I'm doing this alone, and I need to know I can fit the body back on without damaging new work later. I've given up on the single pick point. Next I'm gonna try it again with a second pick to hold the front end. While I'm sure this will hold the body level and secure, now I'm also concerned about being able to roll the frame out from under it with the cherry picker legs in the way.

I'm trying to adapt to the big city way of life, but country living is alot easier. I sure do miss the big, high ceiling shop of Dads.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:54 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

you left the headlights in ?
there's your 30 pounds of weight , right at the front as well.

but even when they are out the coupes still tend to fall forward , even with the strap right at the front of the sill .

So I'm guessing the cherry picker wont fit under the chassis with those small wheels on it .

the usual method is to get the body up and clear then roll it backwards on the picker away from the chassis. Then put the dolly under the body and lower it down , taking care to leave enough room as it will move away from the picker on the way down .

What else did you leave in at the front ? apart from the rad. support that is

Last edited by bazza77; 03-26-2017 at 12:59 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:05 PM
badapplegolf
Instructor

Originally Posted by bazza77
you left the headlights in ?
there's your 30 pounds of weight , right at the front as well.

but even when they are out the coupes still tend to fall forward , even with the strap right at the front of the sill .

So I'm guessing the cherry picker wont fit under the chassis with those small wheels on it .

the usual method is to get the body up and clear then roll it backwards on the picker away from the chassis. Then put the dolly under the body and lower it down , taking care to leave enough room as it will move away from the picker on the way down .

What else did you leave in at the front ? apart from the rad. support that is
Yeah, I left the headlight covers, and hinges in. It looked like they would help hold everything together. Maybe that was a mistake?, I don't know. Later when I do pull the rest of the assy. out, I'll know better if they should stay out till the body goes back on the frame.

The " usual " method just would'nt work in my space. The frame had to roll out from under the body in reverse. My driveway has a hard decline down to street right at the door. (Most houses here are built 3 feet above street level so your not forced to buy flood insurance)
I originally planned on turning the car sideways in the garage, and doing it excatly the way you stated, but then I decided I might not be able to control the cherry picker with the body hanging from it on that steep decline. I was afraid it would get away from me. So I looked for alternatives. I'll detail what finally worked for me in the next few posts. Maybe it will help somebody else working with confined space.
Thanks for your reply, and keeping up with my build! I need all the help I can get!!
Old 03-26-2017, 07:16 PM
badapplegolf
Instructor

The single lift point just wasn't working out for me.

Due to my confined work space, and hard declining driveway. I was forced to find a way to roll the frame out from under the body, out of the garage.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:22 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

yeah ok I see what you mean about the slope . That big steel plate that the headlights attach to that is glued onto the glass , that is enough reinforcement for the area while its off the frame .

Still use the radiator piece as you are doing and when its off support that to stop the front sagging
Old 03-26-2017, 07:29 PM
badapplegolf
Instructor

My solution was to go up into the attic of the garage, and place about a 10' long 4x4 across the ceiling joists. I guesstamated the center pick point above the firewall, drilled a hole thru the 4x4, and drywall ceiling, and then placed a piece of 5/8" allthread rod thru. Attaching the rod to the 4x4 with square washers and nuts top and bottom. I left just enough rod extending below the ceiling to connect to it with a rod coupling, and a 5/8" eye bolt. This gave me a place to hang a come-a-long.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:40 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by badapplegolf
My solution was to go up into the attic of the garage, and place about a 10' long 4x4 across the ceiling joists. I guesstamated the center pick point above the firewall, drilled a hole thru the 4x4, and drywall ceiling, and then placed a piece of 5/8" allthread rod thru. Attaching the rod to the 4x4 with square washers and nuts top and bottom. I left just enough rod extending below the ceiling to connect to it with a rod coupling, and a 5/8" eye bolt. This gave me a place to hang a come-a-long.

You do know come a longs are not made for lifting, unless its made for it.
I know lots of people do lift with them,
i have seen a few bust, could have killed my buddy, he got lucky
Old 03-26-2017, 07:57 PM
badapplegolf
Instructor

Originally Posted by The13Bats
You do know come a longs are not made for lifting, unless its made for it.
I know lots of people do lift with them,
i have seen a few bust, could have killed my buddy, he got lucky
there are a lot of reasons not to do it the way I did. I had a whole list typed out, but then it all dissapeared. I will try again
Old 03-26-2017, 08:12 PM
badapplegolf
Instructor

Ok, Notice in the pic above the busted spring clips on the hooks? You can't see it in the pic, but there was also at least two broken strands of wire about two feet from the bottom hook. Never ever use a lifting device with broken, safety clips, or deformed hooks. Consult the Manufacture about broken wires, there is an allowable limit, but I can't remember what it is at the moment. This was what I had available at the time. Should I have used it? Of course not. Did I anyway? Yep,, I always was the badapple

Seriously, don't do what I did. It was a mistake. Not only from a safety standpoint. Wire rope is not the way to go here. While it provides enough control for lifting, Lowering a load in a controled way is a nightmare. You really need a chain hoist for this!! I will definitely have one on hand for the remounting of the body
Old 03-26-2017, 08:26 PM
badapplegolf
Instructor

Car body is finally up and almost level
Old 03-26-2017, 08:39 PM
badapplegolf
Instructor

Second attemt to post this too. Am I doing something wrong?

Body dolly ready and waiting

the diminsions came from http://www.corvette-restoration.com/

This is built from sch. 40 1 1/2" pipe. I found the diminsions on another website, but the author did thank corvetteforum.com for it. I don't know who the original author is.

Last edited by badapplegolf; 03-26-2017 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:45 PM
badapplegolf
Instructor

Frame rolled out from under body, and parked

Amazingly little debris on garage floor. At this point the body is on the dolly, and has been rolled around to the RV parking I have behind a gate

Get notified of new replies

To 77 Resto-Mod

Old 03-26-2017, 08:49 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

well done , a good body landing is one you can walk away from (with all fingers and toes !)
Old 03-26-2017, 08:50 PM
badapplegolf
Instructor

Just some frame pics

I am really curious about this. This is a pic of the cross member with the holes for the exhaust to go thru. both sides have what appear to be missing bolts. I've looked at a lot of other's pics, but can't find a good one. Is there supposed to be a bolt here?
Old 03-26-2017, 08:55 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

yes a long bolt goes right through , you just have to be careful ,obviously it will go in any side now but when the body is back on it can only come out one way . You have to choose wisely. Same as top shock mount bolt at back and trailing arm to frame bolt .

Last edited by bazza77; 03-26-2017 at 08:58 PM.

Quick Reply: 77 Resto-Mod