C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Plugs / HEI conversion for 454 with 781 heads

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 02:15 AM
johns_vette
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Spark Plugs / HEI conversion for 454 with 781 heads

I have a 72 454 that I just replaced the engine. It has the 336781 oval port heads. I also added an HEI distributor. I know the basics about the plugs. They are 1/2 deep 5/8 tapered plug, and should be around a .045 gap. Please advise on heat range and plug brand that would work best.

Thanks

John
Old 01-16-2008, 07:45 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have always had good luck with NGK. If the 454 is a direct replacement to the one in your car, then get Corvette and year specific plugs at the parts store.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:11 AM
FB007
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A/c #2
Old 01-16-2008, 11:53 AM
johns_vette
Racer

Thanks, however HEI was not available in 72 as you are probably aware. Are you suggesting same plug, wider gap?

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
I have always had good luck with NGK. If the 454 is a direct replacement to the one in your car, then get Corvette and year specific plugs at the parts store.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:55 AM
johns_vette
Racer

Originally Posted by FB007
A/c #2
I did not find a reference to #2. Could that be 42?
Old 01-16-2008, 12:06 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by johns_vette
Thanks, however HEI was not available in 72 as you are probably aware. Are you suggesting same plug, wider gap?

The ignition system not withstanding, is the engine a direct replacement for what was in the car stock or is it an after market engine? The reason I ask, is because all you have to do is go into a Napa or Oreilly and get a set of NGK plugs for a 1972 Corvette with a 454, and ask the person to look up the recommended gap for that application. Always check the get, even if they claim to be pre-gapped.

I just like NGK plugs, and have always had good luck with them in any car or truck I have installed them in.

If the engine is after market, or the heads are after market, contact both manufacturers and ask them the recommended plug style and gap.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
The reason I ask, is because all you have to do is go into a Napa or Oreilly and get a set of NGK plugs for a 1972 Corvette with a 454, and ask the person to look up the recommended gap for that application.
While I dont the answer to the poster question, I disagree with your answer. If he asks the counter guy for plugs for a 72 454 he will get plugs for a points ingition system. And plugs for a points ignition system have a gap smaller than a HEI system. You dont want to take a plug designed to be gapped at .035 and increase it to .045. I have no idea about heat range.

Last edited by 71406; 01-16-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:41 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by PaulH
While I dont the answer to the poster question, I disagree with your answer. If he asks the counter guy for plugs for a 72 454 he will get plugs for a points ingition system. And plugs for a points ignition system have a gap smaller than a HEI system. You dont want to change the gap on a plug from .045 on a plug that was designed to be gaped at .035. I have no idea about heat range.

Okay, I see what's being said. I'm not familiar with points plugs enough to have known the gaps are a lot smaller. I didn't know the difference would be that wide.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:53 PM
johns_vette
Racer

Originally Posted by PaulH
While I dont the answer to the poster question, I disagree with your answer. If he asks the counter guy for plugs for a 72 454 he will get plugs for a points ingition system. And plugs for a points ignition system have a gap smaller than a HEI system. You dont want to take a plug designed to be gapped at .035 and increase it to .045. I have no idea about heat range.
Thank you! I think you helped me clear up in some context the original question, that confused durango with the plugs.

I think the biggest hang up at this point may be the heat range. I think I can go with a 75 Chevelle, they had this particular head and also had hei

John
Old 01-16-2008, 04:06 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 771 Likes on 553 Posts

Don't sweat the gap issue. The HEI system has more energy capability than a points system, and your cylinder doesn't know or care what you have for an ignition system, anyway. The cylinder merely sets up the conditions that the ignition system and components need to respond to (primarily gap breakdown voltage, but also the heat range requirement of the plug). Run any gap you want (.035 to .045), and the HEI will respond with the necessary breakdown voltage. Don't lose any sleep over this.
The following users liked this post:
Fredric Björnefält (08-24-2021)
Old 01-16-2008, 04:29 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,926 Likes on 1,931 Posts

69427 has the correct comments above. A few other points regarding HEI and plug gap:

The HEI was developed and released as part of the emissions control package in 1975. The engines at that time were low compression engines, and they were set up to run very lean. A lean mixture is harder to "light off" than a "correct" mixture, so the HEI system was used so that a much wider plug gap could be used. This would ensure that the lean mixture would ignite and burn.

When a wider plug gap is used, there is more resistance across the gap, and more energy is required to jump the gap. Increased compression will also increase the resistance across the gap. The wide plug gap could be used on these engines because the compression was low. If you use a wide gap with high compression, you can get the resistance across the plug gap so high that the plug simply won't fire: the HEI spark will jump at the point of lowest resistance. This can become the plug wire boots, the inside of the distributor cap, or right through the plug wires if plug gap resistance (from the combined effects of gap and compression) is high enough.

Keeping this in mind, it is important to note that you cannot run an "HEI Plug Gap" (some gaps in the mid-70's were in the .060" range, if I remember right) on a high compression engine, even though you have the HEI system. You will, in fact, get plug misfires from the high energy spark jumping any point of lower resistance rather than across the plug. For this reason, most high performance applications with HEI (or other high energy systems such as MSD) use plug gaps in the .035 - .040" range. This assures that the spark stays at the plug and does not move to inside the cap... If you have a modest compression engine, you can run a wider gap.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:35 PM
johns_vette
Racer

Excellent Information! Thank You

Originally Posted by lars
69427 has the correct comments above. A few other points regarding HEI and plug gap:

The HEI was developed and released as part of the emissions control package in 1975. The engines at that time were low compression engines, and they were set up to run very lean. A lean mixture is harder to "light off" than a "correct" mixture, so the HEI system was used so that a much wider plug gap could be used. This would ensure that the lean mixture would ignite and burn.

When a wider plug gap is used, there is more resistance across the gap, and more energy is required to jump the gap. Increased compression will also increase the resistance across the gap. The wide plug gap could be used on these engines because the compression was low. If you use a wide gap with high compression, you can get the resistance across the plug gap so high that the plug simply won't fire: the HEI spark will jump at the point of lowest resistance. This can become the plug wire boots, the inside of the distributor cap, or right through the plug wires if plug gap resistance (from the combined effects of gap and compression) is high enough.

Keeping this in mind, it is important to note that you cannot run an "HEI Plug Gap" (some gaps in the mid-70's were in the .060" range, if I remember right) on a high compression engine, even though you have the HEI system. You will, in fact, get plug misfires from the high energy spark jumping any point of lower resistance rather than across the plug. For this reason, most high performance applications with HEI (or other high energy systems such as MSD) use plug gaps in the .035 - .040" range. This assures that the spark stays at the plug and does not move to inside the cap... If you have a modest compression engine, you can run a wider gap.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:36 PM
johns_vette
Racer

Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by 69427
Don't sweat the gap issue. The HEI system has more energy capability than a points system, and your cylinder doesn't know or care what you have for an ignition system, anyway. The cylinder merely sets up the conditions that the ignition system and components need to respond to (primarily gap breakdown voltage, but also the heat range requirement of the plug). Run any gap you want (.035 to .045), and the HEI will respond with the necessary breakdown voltage. Don't lose any sleep over this.

Get notified of new replies

To Spark Plugs / HEI conversion for 454 with 781 heads

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs / HEI conversion for 454 with 781 heads