C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV vacuum line hook up...does it matter where?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 10:47 PM
vetteguy75
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
LA Events Coordinator

Default PCV vacuum line hook up...does it matter where?

I just installed a new Holley 4160 600cfm carb and it has only 1 large vacuum port in the back of the carb base (not 2 like the other Holley I had), 1 small vacuum port in the front of the carb base, and the vacuum port for the dist advance. If I connect the brake booster vacuum line to the large port, where would I connect the PCV line? Would the small vacuum port in front be enough? If not, what symptoms would I experience?
Old 04-10-2008, 11:24 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I think I would try the small port and see how it worked. If you find that you get some residual gas odor or oil fumes in the engine compartment, research how to make it larger or if you can join the brake booster and the PCV at the rear connection.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:47 AM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

On my 4150 Holley, the large port on the back is for the PCV. The small port on the front is for the distributor vacuum - the port on the right side is ported distributor vacuum which you don't want to use unless you have a smog motor. You should have a dedicated vacuum port on the intake manifold for the brake booster and other car vacuum needs like headlight and heater operation.
Cheers,
Pete
Old 04-11-2008, 12:53 AM
Dantana
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PeteZO6
On my 4150 Holley, the large port on the back is for the PCV. The small port on the front is for the distributor vacuum - the port on the right side is ported distributor vacuum which you don't want to use unless you have a smog motor. You should have a dedicated vacuum port on the intake manifold for the brake booster and other car vacuum needs like headlight and heater operation.
Cheers,
Pete
Old 04-11-2008, 01:29 PM
11Jake
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the thread Vetteguy75, I have the same carb but it is a 750cfm holley 4160 and have the same issues I am working out.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:45 PM
vetteguy75
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
LA Events Coordinator

Here's the configuration I came up with....

1. Brake Booster to the 1 large vacuum port at the base of the carb.

2. The headlight vacuum line to the full vacuum port in front of the carb.

3. Vacuum advance line to the ported vacuum nipple in the carb's metering block.

4. I purchased a 2 prong vacuum connector (with threads) and screwed it into the intake manifold. Connected the transmission vacuum line AND the PCV line. That's why I wanted to know if the location of the PCV is critical. Right now it's located on the driver's side, front and the 2 prong connector is located at the rear of the intake. Ergo, I have to run a vacuum line from the front driver's side, around the carb and to the rear of the intake. Can you swap the breather and the PCV locations and run a short vacuum line to the manifold vacuum port?

So far this configuration seems to work....
Old 04-12-2008, 06:58 PM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Vetteguy75,
I think the PCV should go to the base of the carb instead of the intake manifold because the PCV "port" on the carb connects to both sides of the intake manifold. The port on the manifold itself is tapped into only one side (assuming you have a 180° manifold), so if you put the PVC there the crankcase fumes are being pulled into only 4 cylinders, not all eight. Probably makes no big difference, but the General did it the way they did for some reason.

The PCV can go on either the driver or passenger side valve cover, as long as the breather from the air filter housing is connected to the other valve cover so fresh air goes completely through the engine. The General always seems to put the breather to the air filter at the opposite end as the PCV, that is PCV front, breather rear.

The instruction sheet that came with my Holley 4150 says to use the rear port for the PVC as in, "Connect PVC here" with an arrow going to the port in the photo.

Cheers,
Pete
Old 04-12-2008, 07:40 PM
enkeivette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Needs to be on manifold vacuum, not ported. Doesn't matter if you use the large port, but I like to keep that one reserved for the booster.

Get notified of new replies

To PCV vacuum line hook up...does it matter where?

Quick Reply: PCV vacuum line hook up...does it matter where?