C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Won't Start, plus its yelling at me..

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 07:16 PM
21boy
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Car Won't Start, plus its yelling at me..

Started with the car losing power to the starter, so the car wasn't getting power to turn over. My ignition cylinder was also bad and thinking that would help I replaced it. I got it all back together and the lock cylinder wouldn't come out of lock... it was stuck in lock actually.

So I took it all back apart (ts also didn't work) and released the lock cylinder and the stupid thing worked for about 5 turns of the key and it ceased up again. Thought I'd at least test if the ignition worked when it was free to spin but still nothing. And the piece of resistonce is that the last time I connected the battery to see what was working, the "buckle up" buzzer wouldn't stop going off..

To recap, the car ignition cylinder is stuck in lock, the car wouldn't even turn over even if it wasn't stuck in lock, and now the buzzer goes off for no reason, non stop. help..

P.S. I tried direct jumping the car and charging the battery so I seriously doubt that this is all due to the battery.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:43 PM
21boy
Racer

Btw car is 74 sm, t and t wheel, and automatic.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:59 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi 21,
Does the auto trans have an interlock that requires the transmission be firmly in park before the ignition can be moved out of lock?
Regards,
Alan
Old 08-14-2009, 05:22 PM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

21boy,
Alan is right, sometimes it's best to go back to basics. The '74s had a cable connecting the transmission select lever on the trans to the steering column that prevented you pulling the key unless the trans is in Park. Also, without the key in the lock, the shift lever could not be removed from Park.

If you don't have all of this in place and working as designed, that could be the cause of both of your problems. If it still won't crank, then there's another problem. I hope you find it quickly.

Regards from Down Under

aussiejohn
1 day to go
Old 08-15-2009, 01:02 AM
21boy
Racer

Sorry forgot to mention the interlock. It seems that the original problem was that when the car was shifted out of park and into gear, and then to park again that the lever wouldn't fully engage, this prevented the ignition from locking and caused a mess of problems.

I pulled it up, the key went into "lock" all was well. I tried turning the key after I put it all back together, it was stuck.. So looked at cable closely and didn't see any kinks as I heard where a common problem.. So what else could be wrong with the cable? Would disconnecting it take care of a lot of these problems? Oh and trans locks while in lock, and it is in park, almost broke dash to make sure..

And how could I have messed up so bad that the seat alarm buzzer won't turn off? All I did was disconnect the turn signal and steering cables under the dash..
Old 08-15-2009, 02:16 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 21boy
Started with the car losing power to the starter, so the car wasn't getting power to turn over.
Make sure the battery is fully charged and that all the connections are clean and tight.

My ignition cylinder was also bad and thinking that would help I replaced it. I got it all back together and the lock cylinder wouldn't come out of lock... it was stuck in lock actually.
Go back to Jim Shea's papers and double check how you put everything back together.

So I took it all back apart (ts also didn't work) and released the lock cylinder and the stupid thing worked for about 5 turns of the key and it ceased up again. Thought I'd at least test if the ignition worked when it was free to spin but still nothing. And the piece of resistance is that the last time I connected the battery to see what was working, the "buckle up" buzzer wouldn't stop going off..

I don't think it's the buckle up buzzer that your hearing, it is the "Left Key In Ignition" buzzer that your hearing. There is A 'tang' on the key lock cylinder that turns on and off the switch in the column. Again, check Jim Shea's papers.
74 has a seat belt start interrupt, to remove that problem slide the seats foward and disconnect the plugs under the seats.
Hope this helps. PG.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:24 AM
21boy
Racer

Well thanks for the key lock sound info that helps, never heard that before. But as for the rest I used Shea's papers to reassemble the column and it's not that difficult and yet I missed the contacts for the turn signals.. But as for getting stuck in lock I have no idea as too why this is happening. Battery is fully charged and I even tried another battery and jumping it. I don't get how the equipment can come on but no power to the engine.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:08 PM
21boy
Racer

Ok, it seems that the key warning buzzer was stopping the ignition cylinder from rotating. So now the key buzzer just won't turn on anymore but I've never heard it before so o well. The problems at hand now are:

1. The car won't turn over still.
2. The interlock cable won't reset completely so that the lock cylinder can go all the way to park...

Any help is still appreciative.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:28 PM
21boy
Racer

Alright, got the cylinder to turn, buzzer was in the way so that's that..

Tapped the starter with a hammer and tried it, it gave me a god awful turn over sound and the battery was hot...

Get notified of new replies

To Car Won't Start, plus its yelling at me..

Quick Reply: Car Won't Start, plus its yelling at me..