C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strut rods / spherical rod ends

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 08:02 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by NassyVette
Awesome, thanks

Got one last question, why did you go with 5/8" bore on one end and 1/2" bore on the other? And do you have a source for grade 8 bolts to fasten them?
My original struts were VB poly adjustables, so I just re used the bolts and locator plates that I had. There's nothing special about those bolts. Any good hardware store should have them.

The different size heims are because the shock mount bolts are 5/8", and the upper strut mounts are 1/2". I also found even with the spacers I got, on the lower joint I needed a shim about .050 thick, (went to the hardware store with my trusty micrometer and found a stainless washer), and the upper joint needed a .108 thick spacer on each side of the bearing. (Had a local shop make those)

Should have most of it back together this weekend,.....Then it's the brakes.............
Old 11-12-2009, 09:53 AM
NassyVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Money Pit
My original struts were VB poly adjustables, so I just re used the bolts and locator plates that I had. There's nothing special about those bolts. Any good hardware store should have them.

The different size heims are because the shock mount bolts are 5/8", and the upper strut mounts are 1/2". I also found even with the spacers I got, on the lower joint I needed a shim about .050 thick, (went to the hardware store with my trusty micrometer and found a stainless washer), and the upper joint needed a .108 thick spacer on each side of the bearing. (Had a local shop make those)

Should have most of it back together this weekend,.....Then it's the brakes.............
I'm in the same boat. I've got my 71 completely torn down, rebuilding the suspension/steering/diff etc I also went with the 3/4" joints over the 5/8".
Old 11-13-2009, 12:57 AM
NassyVette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bashcraft
Am I reading this incorrectly or did you only order 3 rod ends?
Yeah, looks like I forgot to update the cart. Oh well, the tubes are on back order till the 27th so I'll be waiting either way.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:29 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by NassyVette
Awesome, thanks

Got one last question, why did you go with 5/8" bore on one end and 1/2" bore on the other? And do you have a source for grade 8 bolts to fasten them?

There is no need to keep the adjustable eccentric on the inner side, so that can be welded and redrilled for 5/8, so all heims can be the same. That also allows for the inner mount point to be lowered a bit as per Guldstrand specs.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:34 PM
NassyVette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by noonie
There is no need to keep the adjustable eccentric on the inner side, so that can be welded and redrilled for 5/8, so all heims can be the same. That also allows for the inner mount point to be lowered a bit as per Guldstrand specs.
I see...how much did you lower the lower mounting point?
Old 11-14-2009, 01:47 PM
doctorgene
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Good Thread; I bought the kit from Eckler's (# 39778 ) 189.99 came in one box. Never thought about making a set. LOL I really like the set of Hex-chromeoly Not sure how you are adjusting them. Have a great day. Gene
Old 05-02-2016, 08:04 PM
Iron40
Intermediate

Hi late to this party but wanted to build a set myself. Didnt want to go thru summit or speedway. McMaster Carr sells the hiems in all types just wondering overall lenght, what max adj needs to be and should i lower the pick up point on diff side? Im just street driing but wanted to have my own on car it is 63 not original roadster thanks

Quick Reply: strut rods / spherical rod ends