C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To Replace Timing Cover Seal, Without Removing Timing Cover?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 07:24 PM
drspencer
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Default How To Replace Timing Cover Seal, Without Removing Timing Cover?

'71 350/270. I'm going to be replacing my harmonic balancer, and that's as far as I'm going.

When I have the balancer off, how do I remove & replace the timing cover seal, without removing the timing cover?

Sub question: If the old seal is presently not leaking, should I just leave it and install the new balancer over the old seal?

Thanks
Old 06-01-2010, 07:37 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Once you get the balancer off, the seal is just a step away- take a sharp punch and pop the old seal out. Pack the back groove of the seal with grease and drive it back in. Since you're replacing the balancer, no need to inspect the rear hub on the old one.

Odds are that if you install a new balancer and use the old seal, you'll be fixing a leak.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:40 PM
drspencer
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TimAT
.....take a sharp punch and pop the old seal out.
Not quite clear how to do this, I thought I would be pulling the old seal out, with a pick of some sort.

Thanks
Old 06-01-2010, 08:11 PM
whitehause
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seal puller would be the best, but you can take a small punch and bend the lip down, then pry it out with a screwdriver.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:09 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Depending on access [room to work] and how hard the shaft lip seal is retained in the present cover, you can change that seal by placing the blade of a flat-tipped screwdriver under the seal lip and metal seal casing, laying that screwdriver flat on the timing cover, then 'popping' the handle with the palm of your hand to force the seal out of its bore. The risk in doing so is that the cover can become bent, if the seal has been glued into that bore. If you bend the cover, it may be difficult to get the OD of the new seal to prevent oil leakage. It's certainly worth a try. If that doesn't work, it's best to remove the cover and properly remove/install a new seal and also a new cover gasket.

Get notified of new replies

To How To Replace Timing Cover Seal, Without Removing Timing Cover?

Quick Reply: How To Replace Timing Cover Seal, Without Removing Timing Cover?