C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Suspension Recommendations what to get from where?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Mia
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Suspension Recommendations what to get from where?

Hello, I am a bit perplexed by all the different choices that each vendor from Ecklers, Mid America, etc., have in terms of rear end suspension parts and kits.

There are kits for struts. Kits for struts with bushings. Bushing Kits. Just the spring, the spring bolts by themselves, or in a larger kit. A kit with all the spring parts, bushings, etc., but no struts...

Anyway, here is what I want. I want to keep things pretty much stock as I have with most of the rebuild on this car. I've already done the front suspension. Shocks all around, etc.

I want to replace the rear leaf spring. Its old and creaks.

I want to replace the struts. Again, old and clunk. The rear end is a little loose.

So in doing these changes I need the proper parts to make sure all the bolts, nuts, bushings, etc., are all changed as well. I cannot see how to buy these items without having some overlap.

I'd also like to stick with urethane parts as well.

Here's what I found at Eckers as a for instance:

Corvette Rear Leaf Spring, Standard Replacement, 1978-1982 A7207

Corvette Rear Leaf Spring Bolt Kit, Stock Length, With Urethane Cushions, 1963-1982 38303

Corvette Rear Spring Center Mounting Plate Kit, 1978-1979 38138

Corvette Strut Rod Kit, Adjustable Stock Type, 1963-1979 A7128

Corvette Rear Suspension Mounting Kit, 1969-1977 Part # 27020
Corvette Rear Suspension Mounting Kit, 1978-1979 Part # 45574

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:33 PM
crvtownr
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mia
Hello, I am a bit perplexed by all the different choices that each vendor from Ecklers, Mid America, etc., have in terms of rear end suspension parts and kits.

I want to replace the rear leaf spring. Its old and creaks.
I would recommend looking at Muskegon Brake (supporting vendor). They are in Michigan so shipping should be less expensive and quicker.

http://www.muskegonbrake.com/v4/go.g...&listTemplate=

Originally Posted by Mia
I want to replace the struts. Again, old and clunk. The rear end is a little loose.
I assume you are referring to the strut rods, and I would look at a rear end kit such as the one at Willcox which is the one I used:

http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...ducts_id=25235

This has the strut rods with bushings already pressed in. You mentioned a clunk which probably isn't the strut rods, more likely the ujoints or diff mounting snubber bushing and the bushing is included in the kit. The kit also contains new cups, bushings and bolts for the spring as well as just about everything else.

Originally Posted by Mia

I'd also like to stick with urethane parts as well.
Just FYI but the original bushings weren't urethane, they were rubber.

Good luck!
Old 07-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Mia
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crvtownr
I would recommend looking at Muskegon Brake (supporting vendor). They are in Michigan so shipping should be less expensive and quicker.

http://www.muskegonbrake.com/v4/go.g...&listTemplate=

I assume you are referring to the strut rods, and I would look at a rear end kit such as the one at Willcox which is the one I used:

http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...ducts_id=25235

This has the strut rods with bushings already pressed in. You mentioned a clunk which probably isn't the strut rods, more likely the ujoints or diff mounting snubber bushing and the bushing is included in the kit. The kit also contains new cups, bushings and bolts for the spring as well as just about everything else.

Just FYI but the original bushings weren't urethane, they were rubber.

Good luck!
True, but they tend to last longer. I went with rubber on the front and in 2500 miles, they look 30 years old again.

Thanks for the recommendations btw!
Old 07-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi m,
I believe Bair's in western Pa might be someone you may want to consider as a source for all the parts. People speak highly about their knowledge and the quality of their parts and service.
Worth checking out?
Regards,
Alan

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Suspension Recommendations what to get from where?

Quick Reply: Rear Suspension Recommendations what to get from where?