C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 09:03 PM
jordan89
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Radiator Problem

The other day I drained the radiator and when I turned the drain **** to loosen it, the drain **** came off completely. This is what it looks like. I'm not sure what to do to repair it?
Drain ****:

Bottom of Radiator(Drain **** Area):

Can it be fixed, and if so what can be done? I was thinking about using some JB Weld to try and fix it, but wanted to ask for opinions. The surrounding area on the radiator is not cracked or anything.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:06 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

The radiator will need to be removed so the area can be cleaned to solder the broken piece back on.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:19 PM
jordan89
Safety Car

Originally Posted by '75
The radiator will need to be removed so the area can be cleaned to solder the broken piece back on.
So do you think I should JB Weld it, and will it hold?
Old 08-28-2010, 09:26 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Because I know how to solder, that's how I would do it. I'm not sure about the JB weld. Maybe some one has tried it and will chime in.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:24 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

What came off is the drain **** that someone else already had come off on them. They obviously tried to use epoxy to stick it back on. Didn't work, apparently.

The draincock needs to be soldered back into place. To do that, the tank must be drained and flushed (to get glycol residue out), or you won't be able to get the tank temp over 220*F or so. So, it must be pretty dry inside. Then the surfaces of the tank and draincock need to be wire brushed and cleaned, fluxed and then the two items soldered using [at least] a propane torch. It can easily be done in the car IF you have someone who knows what they're doing. Otherwise, you will have to pull the radiator and take it to a shop to repair.

Do yourself a favor and don't try the JB Weld method again. It is unlikely to hold well enough to stay intact over the 'long haul'.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:55 PM
jordan89
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
What came off is the drain **** that someone else already had come off on them. They obviously tried to use epoxy to stick it back on. Didn't work, apparently.

The draincock needs to be soldered back into place. To do that, the tank must be drained and flushed (to get glycol residue out), or you won't be able to get the tank temp over 220*F or so. So, it must be pretty dry inside. Then the surfaces of the tank and draincock need to be wire brushed and cleaned, fluxed and then the two items soldered using [at least] a propane torch. It can easily be done in the car IF you have someone who knows what they're doing. Otherwise, you will have to pull the radiator and take it to a shop to repair.

Do yourself a favor and don't try the JB Weld method again. It is unlikely to hold well enough to stay intact over the 'long haul'.
That's what I thought it was that surrounded the drain ****. The radiator is definitely going to come out. I'm going to have to take it to a local radiator shop to get it fixed. Thanks guys.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:07 PM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Get yourself some new radiator seals and replace them while you have it out. mike...
Old 08-28-2010, 11:19 PM
snoopykissedlucy
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've done a dozen radiator repairs and almost always.......it's cheaper to just buy a new radiator when you add up the rebuild costs and in your case, welding a new petcock.

You can get a replacement radiator for $270 at autozone or an aluminum at Summit for $300
Old 08-29-2010, 12:00 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by snoopykissedlucy
I've done a dozen radiator repairs and almost always.......it's cheaper to just buy a new radiator when you add up the rebuild costs and in your case, welding a new petcock.

You can get a replacement radiator for $270 at autozone or an aluminum at Summit for $300
Old 08-29-2010, 12:43 AM
jordan89
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mds3013
Get yourself some new radiator seals and replace them while you have it out. mike...
That's a must.

Originally Posted by snoopykissedlucy

It's the original radiator, so I would like that to stay, for now. Do you have the link for the aluminum radiator on the Summit web site?
Old 08-29-2010, 02:30 AM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

If your radiator was working fine before this happened, I would get it fixed at a radiator shop. You know it fits and it is likely to be better built than any new radiator short of a Dewitt's.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:24 PM
jordan89
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rcread
If your radiator was working fine before this happened, I would get it fixed at a radiator shop. You know it fits and it is likely to be better built than any new radiator short of a Dewitt's.
Yup, the radiator was working fine with no leaks. That's why I want to get it fixed and done right. I'm going to pull it out and take a to a radiator shop to have it fixed.

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator Problem

Quick Reply: Radiator Problem