Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C3 Tech/Performance
V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette Sponsored by
VBP

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 04-25-2002, 01:42 PM   #1
virtue4u
CF Senior Member

Default Is the air conditioning "stop leak" and seal conditioner good to use?

This is the stuff that comes in a black plastic tube that must be screwed into the air conditioning system. Does it work? Is it bad for an R12 system? Is there any better product?
virtue4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 01:50 PM   #2
dsagers
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Is the air conditioning "stop leak" and seal conditioner good to use? (virtue4u)

May want to post your question on an A/C forum.
http://aircondition.com/wwwboard/

or
http://www.ackits.com/cgi-bin/ultima...start_point=35

Parts can be found at http://www.acsource.com
Including stop leak chemicals to put into the system.
dsagers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 11:16 AM   #3
virtue4u
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Is the air conditioning "stop leak" and seal conditioner good to use? (virtue4u)

ttt
Old 04-26-2002, 11:49 AM   #4
Koz
Default Re: Is the air conditioning "stop leak" and seal conditioner good to use? (dsagers)

I checked out this site.. Anyone here ever use the stopleak? Where did ya get it..?
Old 04-26-2002, 12:33 PM   #5
virtue4u
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Is the air conditioning "stop leak" and seal conditioner good to use? (Koz)

I read some replies on the Air Conditioning websites posted above. According to the posts, the stop leak not only has disappointing results, but causes damage to compressors. Unless I am convinced otherwise, I am not going to use it.
Old 04-26-2002, 01:35 PM   #6
Koz

Good enough reason for me too.. Thanks!
Old 04-26-2002, 09:36 PM   #7
Dalannex
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Is the air conditioning "stop leak" and seal conditioner good to use? (Koz)

I used the stuff once that comes in a regular freon can, and it didn't do a thing. Had a small leak, tried it out of desperation, and it still leaked out overnight. Fix the leak rather than trying snakeoil.
Dalannex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 10:59 PM   #8
bn7035
CF Senior Member

I've found it is usually cheaper to fix it right the first time. Never had any luck with stop leak, used it several times when I was younger and broke.
bn7035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 10:22 PM   #9
Koz
Default Re: Is the air conditioning "stop leak" and seal conditioner good to use? (bn7035)

So how does one go about finding the leak.. :confused:
Old 04-28-2002, 10:46 PM   #10
bn7035
CF Senior Member

I'm not and A/C expert. You can use that red dye stuff. Usually if you look closely you'll see what looks like oil and the dust that sticks to it around connections, the compressor fittings, etc. I have converted two cars over to 134-A. I replaced all the o-rings (local parts house gave me the right sizes) replaced the condenser, vacumed the system, and recharged. It seems the biggest mistake most people make is overcharging the system. My 81 stays cold and works as well as R-12 did. Did the same conversion on a 76 Camero with new lines, comprressor, and condensor. Worked ok but could not get it cold.
bn7035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 12:23 AM   #11
MotorHead
CF Senior Member

Location: Never argue with Morons. If you do, you'll lower yourself to their standards, and they'll win, based on experience !!!
Default Re: Is the air conditioning "stop leak" and seal conditioner good to use? (bn7035)

Snake oil :nono:
MotorHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 11:00 AM   #12
Dalannex
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Is the air conditioning "stop leak" and seal conditioner good to use?

To find a leak look for the oily residue with dust stuck to it. Look at the seal where the compressor shaft comes through the front of the compressor first. Then check the fittings where the lines connect together. These are all spots that have O-Rings in them. Check the places where the rubber hoses crimp onto the metal hose ends as well. It could also be a hole in the condenser. Look for the oil.
Dalannex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 01:56 PM   #13
Wrencher
CF Senior Member

Most A/C guys use a "sniffer" that beeps or buzzes when it detects a refrigerant leak. You put in a pound and run it to check for leaks. The dye works well for hard to find leaks, but it does make a red mess where it come out!

Hans
Wrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 01:56 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page Is the air conditioning "stop leak" and seal conditioner good to use?

Tags
ac, air, aircon, bad, c3, car, con, conditioning, forum, freon, good, leak, safe, safeseal, seal, stop