C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1972 carb restamp or not

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 10:05 AM
Rob0371
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1972 carb restamp or not

I'm looking at a carb for a 72 BB since mine is warped beyond repair. The one I am looking at has the same stamp numbers as mine other than the circle is missing. My carb has a circle with a small C inside the circle (I would assume it's Carters ID) between the build date and broadcast code and I know it's the original carb that came with the car. Every thing else is the same but build month is one month before on the carb I am looking to buy. Should I be worried that this could be a restamp since the circle is not there or did Carter build some with the circle in between the build date and broadcast code and some without.
Do I or don't I is the question
Old 09-27-2012, 12:29 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,926 Likes on 1,931 Posts

The circle with the foil-embossed carb number inside was used only on the Carter-built carbs. The Rochester-built carbs did not have the foil or any numbers in the circle - the number was stamped vertically on the bowl stiffening rib right above the driver's side secondary throttle shaft. Either Carter or Rochester-built carbs are "correct" for any car.

Lars
Old 09-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Okay...I will ask the otherwise obvious bonehead question of the day: how do you warp a carburetor? With the availability of Q-Jet parts, I would think your original would be repairable.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:18 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

The airhorns are known to warp, if that is what the OP is referring to but I've seen a tool to unwarp them.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:15 PM
Rob0371
Cruising

Melwif that's what has happened and I'm told the main body is so warped that it's beyond repairing by three different shops. I don't know of any tool so I will check on that one.
Lars my original is a Carter with M1 0 FF with the 0 having a small C inside it and the one I'm looking at is B2 FF with no 0 and the small C inside it. This is where I am questioning why my carb has the 0 with the C inside the circle and the one I am looking at has no 0 at all. Did they put the 0 with the C inside the circle on some and not all of them. Since it doesn't have the circle with the C inside I am questioning if it's a re stamped carb.
I hope you understand what I am asking.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:30 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

To check for any "warpage" on carb bowl, airhorn, throttle plate or other component with a flat surface, put a clean sheet of 600 grit [or higher] sandpaper rough-side UP on a flat kitchen countertop. Lay the flat face of the piece you want to check down on the sandpaper surface and lightly move the part around in a figure-eight pattern a couple of times. Then lift and turn the part over to see what sanding pattern shows up. If most of the flat surface shows a shiny/sanded surface, with only short areas of non-cleanup, then you have a surface flat enough to be assembled with a gasket and function just fine. If the opposite sides of the part are shiny with nothing in the middle showning any sign of surface sanding, you have a badly warped piece. Frankly, I've never seen a badly warped carb part [that I didn't think was made that way when they pulled it from the die-casting machine]. And, I'm not sure how someone is going to "un-warp" a brittle zinc casting by bending it.

Lars will hopefully have something to add from his weath of knowledge and experience.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 09-27-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:30 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,139 Likes on 2,070 Posts

I'm guessing the small circle with the small c in the middle is this one

This is the one on my 72 BB, but could be from a dump-truck.

HIH
Mooser
Old 09-27-2012, 10:57 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default From Cliff Ruggles book

I thought you meant a big circle like this...
Old 09-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,139 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Originally Posted by petes74ttop
I thought you meant a big circle like this...
I believe that's what Lars meant also, but somehow I thought I read somewhere (Cliff?) that was on pre 68 carbs and then they went to the stamps on the web.
But since my experiences with Q-jets is only about a month old now, I'll just

Mooser
Old 09-27-2012, 11:28 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I'm not sure either, but I'm following along in hopes of learning something.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:47 AM
Rob0371
Cruising

Mooser,
thanks for reading my mind and putting the picture of the circle with the C inside it. This is what I am talking about. My original has the circle with the C in the middle which is stamped between the M1 date and the FF broadcast. The one I am looking at does not have the circle but the spacing is the same between the M1 and the FF on both carbs.
Hopefully Lars or someone will have the answer before I purchase this piece of gold and then have a bogus carb.
Petes74 both carbs don't have what's in your picture at all. If your right about 68 and these are 72's that makes sense.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:57 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Same answer as earlier: If the carb is stamped with the circle and the "C" in the circle, it's a Carter-built Q-Jet, built under license for Rochester. If there is no circle-C, it's a Rochester-built carb. Both carbs were used interchangably, and either carb is correct.
Lars
Old 09-29-2012, 04:16 PM
Rob0371
Cruising

I have sent Lars a PM since this string might be getting boring and I'm crossing my fingers he has the answer. Oh well since I'm here and I try to explain better since you can now see a picture of what my question is.
If you look at the first picture that Mooser added in the string you will see the carb number and under the carb number is the build code which is D2 and then the Carter ID which is a circle with the letter c inside and then you see the broadcast code FE. This is exactly the same as my original since it's a carter carb but with a different date and broadcast code.
The one I am looking to buy for well over a grand (ya I know and don't need to hear it) has the build code and the broadcast code but no Carter circle with the C in between. The spacing is the same between the build date and broadcast code on both but the one I am looking is missing the Carter ID.
So did Carter make production carbs with and without there ID between the build date and broadcast code??????
Old 09-29-2012, 07:39 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Rochester and Carter both made the same carbs. Carter carbs had the circle-C. Rochester did not. Both carbs are correct.

Get notified of new replies

To 1972 carb restamp or not

Quick Reply: 1972 carb restamp or not