C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1978 Auto - Speedo Cable Drive Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 08:15 AM
Stephen Irons
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 85 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default 1978 Auto - Speedo Cable Drive Leak

Hi

A year or so ago I fitted a new speedo cable drive gear and sleeve assembly. Last month I had to fit a new speedo cable (as part of the reinstatement of the cruise control).

Alas, I now notice that there is a slight leak of trans fluid from the speed drive

Without going into detail, suffice to say that the entire exhaust on the driver’s side needs to come off to replace the sleeve, so at the moment I have only "investigated” the issue. It almost seems as if it could do with being a tighter fit in the casing? I managed to find a few new O-rings off assorted sizes, one being a bit thicker than the original that I retained when I swapped out the sleeve, but I suspect it may actually be too thick to fit.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for getting a nice oil-tight seal again please?

(Incidentally, I looked on the wittrans (?) site but they no longer seem to list O-rings) Bear in mind I’m in France, so popping down to the local “Autozone” isn’t an option I’m afraid!
Old 03-16-2014, 09:39 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

If the fitting is not an original...and not writing that it is NOT CORRECT...but if for some odd reason you got one that's diameter is smaller ...then it may be "FUN" trying to find an "O" ring that will fit the groove in the fitting and also seal the housing as intended.

AND you are aware that there is a seal in the fitting where the cable gets inserted...tight???

DUB
Old 03-16-2014, 10:14 AM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB

AND you are aware that there is a seal in the fitting where the cable gets inserted...tight???

DUB
That inner seal was the problem when mine leaked. I had to go to a transmission shop to find one.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:11 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Irons

(Incidentally, I looked on the wittrans (?) site but they no longer seem to list O-rings) Bear in mind I’m in France, so popping down to the local “Autozone” isn’t an option I’m afraid!
That's a TH 350, right?

https://www.wittrans.com/Schematic.a...0C&Schematic=4

There's an O Ring outside, and a seal inside the housing (There are several styles, metal and plastic.) Watch the gear too. The seal will cut a groove into it. Some of the aftermarket parts are off size, and will leak.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:17 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

PS, if your housing is aftermarket and sized improperly? You can get the entire assembly used on that page I linked.. (The sleeve itself doesn't wear out.. It's the seal inside that goes bad)

Don't quote me, but it seems to me that the sleeve with the non-metal seal inside? That there's room for two.. and I fixed one leaker by backing up the first seal with a second one, to get around a wear groove in the speedo gear.

Last edited by confab; 03-16-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:46 AM
Stephen Irons
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 85 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Hi DUB and Confab

Thanks. Yes, a TH350. Well, it is a replacement sleeve assembly, and it looks like those sold by the likes of Corvette Central etc, although it came from my usual UK supplier. It is not the EXACT same style as the one that came off, but close! :-) On the old one it was the inner seal that was leaking. From what I can see now, the inner seal is fine (I put a new gear in as well as the sleeve) but the outer O-ring seems to be the culprit. It just seemed that the sleeve assembly could be a tighter fit in the casing.

I've decided to keep an eye on it for the time being, but I guess if the leak gets too bad I'll have to take out the sleeve assembly again and then begin a search for a better fit item or O-ring in ernest.

Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To 1978 Auto - Speedo Cable Drive Leak

Quick Reply: 1978 Auto - Speedo Cable Drive Leak