C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which repair manual is better, Haynes or Chilton

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 02:36 PM
mokey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which repair manual is better, Haynes or Chilton

My son and I just bought an 81 vette last week. It is a driver and needs several things fixed. One headlight won't raise, all 4 headlights stay on all the time when the lights are turned on, horn does not work, battery drains when sitting, and the car only gets 10mpg.

My question is, which repair manual contains the best repair info for the 81. Would it be the haynes manual or the Chilton manual. Perhpas someone makes an even better manual. If so, please feel free to share that info with me also.

Thanks
Mike Poole
Old 06-09-2014, 02:46 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,926 Likes on 1,931 Posts

You don't want either one of those - they're junk. Get the actual GM Shop Manual and the Assembly Instruction Manual (AIM) for your year from any one of the Vette parts suppliers.

Lars
Old 06-09-2014, 02:52 PM
charleyahrens
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lars
You don't want either one of those - they're junk. Get the actual GM Shop Manual and the Assembly Instruction Manual (AIM) for your year from any one of the Vette parts suppliers.

Lars
I agree, there is no substitute for the factory manuals.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:55 PM
Petes73
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have both along with the AIM. I do not consider any of them junk. Both Haynes and Chiltons give descriptions of how to do what you need. AIM has the actual diagram. I guess it all depends on if you are a picture or word person.

Being slow and a master of nothing I take everything into consideration.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:15 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

this one:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...9&partnum=9574

$46 on Rockauto
Old 06-09-2014, 04:19 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

I find Haynes and Chiltons to be rather generic, not year specific. The publisher tries to fit as many years into a single publication as they can. Year specific changes may not be accounted for.

Factory shop manuals are available for each year. I have a bit more confidence in the factory manuals and AIMs. Been burnt years ago by a Chiltons which didn't mention some hidden screws.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:27 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Mike,
WELCOME! First Post!
AND, a good first question.
I agree that while the Chilton and Haynes manuals are o.k., the GM Chassis Service Manual for your 81 will prove it's worth and become your good friend.
Also the AIM (Assembly Instruction Manual) for your 81 will be very helpful for some jobs too.
Good Luck with you new, old, 81!
Regards,
Alan
Old 06-09-2014, 04:33 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Lars
Agree. My shop manual is well oiled/greased. I use it every time I dive into the engine bay for torque specs and other guidance. I also refer to many of my 'how to' books from HPBooks, SADesign, etc. that I've accumulated in last 17 years of ownership.

Then, there is the 'forum that is been 99.9% info source for all of my projects.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:09 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

The shop manual is best but Haynes and Clilton are both good for different areas. For example, the Clilton covered diagnosing cruise control problems. Haynes was better on front end rebuild. Always do your homework and most projects will be easy
Old 06-09-2014, 07:38 PM
mokey
Intermediate

thanks everyone for the quick replies. I wasn't expecting so many quick and informative responses.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:39 PM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by hugie82
The shop manual is best but Haynes and Clilton are both good for different areas. For example, the Clilton covered diagnosing cruise control problems. Haynes was better on front end rebuild. Always do your homework and most projects will be easy
The Chilton and Haynes, while maybe not the best, are not junk if you have never tackled a particular job before and are seeking information. I use any information I can get, including posts found here before taking on something I haven't done before. I need pictures and words and between the GM manuals and the third party publications I get a pretty good feel for what I am going to be up against.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:52 PM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Along with the factory manuals, I rely on my old Motor Manuals. I love these books.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:03 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 578 Likes on 460 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

they are pretty close to worthless. get the factory books.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:45 AM
nz corvette
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi, The more manuals and books you have, the more info you have, the better your decisions
I've got lots or use the Corvette Forum!!
All good Dave NZ
Old 06-10-2014, 07:58 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by nz corvette
Hi, The more manuals and books you have, the more info you have, the better your decisions
I've got lots or use the Corvette Forum!!
All good Dave NZ
I've 3-4 of the 'C3 Resto' books with pics and specifications. Richard Newton's book is my favorite as it details a complete '68 restoration from neglected barn status to full resto. Great addition for most of the hard to find details of the cars. I also picked up an NCRS book for my year C3 a few years back for more details. Knowledge is power.

With all of the engine, carb and Performance books (and even an 80-85 Motors manual), I have a nice shelf of reference manuals accumulated in the 17 years of ownership. And, I build folders (the paper kind) of every project so I have detailed records of each.

I just picked up a nice reference that details Arty Dorsett's (Van Steel) resto of his '80 L48 (from SADesign I think). I like it since my car is the '80 L48 and they detailed the full restoration.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:22 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Jeff_Keryk
...I rely on my old Motor Manuals. I love these books...
Yep. Those are good. Chilton and Haynes are fine as long as you understand they are typically generic and usually not model year specific.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:28 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

Repeated:

I have always bought a Haynes or Chilton with every vehicle purchase.

But with the Corvette, I finally took the advice of Forum Experts (you know who you are...A./E.M/M.W/L. ...to hint at a few....LOL).....and I bought the year-specific Service Manual and AIM to start off with.

After a month of using those two books, I brought my unopened Corvette Chiltons book back for a refund.

Then this last Christmas I received a wireless printer as a present...now the Corvette Forum is my 3rd source.

When you guys post advice that I currently need....OR will need in the future repairs I have planned, your info goes to the wireless---then to a 3-hole-puncher----then to my info-binder in my car!

Thanks Members!

(Sorry Mr. Chilton)

Get notified of new replies

To Which repair manual is better, Haynes or Chilton

Old 06-10-2014, 09:06 AM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

A warning about the Assembly Instruction Manual (AIM). It is not set up to be used as a reference material, it was made for the guys building these cars on the assembly line. It doesn't have a Table of contents or an Index that are easily useable, you just kind of have to flip through it until you stumble across what you are looking for. That being said, it contains information and diagrams that you just plain won't find anywhere else. I have found it to be a lifesaver, once I get done cursing whoever designed the layout of the book! It is especially useful for repairing things that a prior owner has half-assed, as it shows you exactly how things are supposed to be set up. Also, if you are trying to choose between the Chilton's and the Haynes, I say get both. Some jobs are covered in greater detail in one than the other.

Welcome to the Corvette adventure! If you ever feel like you are in over your head, (and you will) just remember the old African adage: How do you eat an Elephant? One bite at a time. And don't be afraid to ask dumb questions here on the forum, that's what it's here for.

Scott
Old 06-12-2014, 06:21 PM
donyue
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mokey
My son and I just bought an 81 vette last week. It is a driver and needs several things fixed. One headlight won't raise, all 4 headlights stay on all the time when the lights are turned on, horn does not work, battery drains when sitting, and the car only gets 10mpg.

My question is, which repair manual contains the best repair info for the 81. Would it be the haynes manual or the Chilton manual. Perhpas someone makes an even better manual. If so, please feel free to share that info with me also.

Thanks
Mike Poole
I have the Haynes, Chilton, AIM, and the year specific shop manual for my 77.

I also have some other aftermarket books that provide C3 restoration information and cross reference engine part numbers for Chevy engines.

If other publications come out I will purchase those as well. Remember, our cars can be as old as 1968. In many cases our cars are older than the current mechanics in many shops.

I feel it never hurts to have as much information about my car as possible. It has saved me many dollars and many hours of frustration by having key information.

This forum is also irreplaceable when it comes to providing great recommendations and information.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:29 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Lars

I use our pdf AIM's (because they have the search links, and are a way better copy than the new bundled copies floating around the internet), I use the factory service manuals and I use my personal library that can be found on our web site.

Tech pictures
http://willcoxcorvette.com/advanced_...+%23&x=36&y=10

Repair and Install Help
http://willcoxcorvette.com/advanced_...rds=&x=42&y=10

Tech Videos
http://willcoxcorvette.com/advanced_...t+%23&x=50&y=1

All three can be searched by year and are free for everyone to use...

Monkey.. Welcome to the forum, and enjoy that new ride. Most your questions can be resolved on this forum.

Willcox

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 06-12-2014 at 09:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Which repair manual is better, Haynes or Chilton