C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring short question..

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 12:06 PM
5MERCS
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring short question..

Good Day all.

My name 5MERCS and i have a question. Recently while putting back my tach/speedo panel , afterwards my 20 amp fuse for direction lights blew. I replaced it and it blew again.
What i noticed was when i turn on my radio my dual electrics fans both come on when the engine is cold. When i turn off the radio the fans go off. 1x it happened only 1 fan worked, 2 x both fans worked afterwards with the burnt out fuse. Also the ammeter does not charge except when i turn on my heater blower fan. other than that when idling it is still discharging although at the battery it is charging at 13.9 volts.
What is the best ways to trace back the short from the fuse panel?
any suggestions. i have a meter or two but am not an expert.

Sincerely Marc Mercury
Old 03-25-2015, 12:24 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Model year? Who wired your fans? Obviously they're using power from the radio and need to find another source for the fans. Don't the aftermarket electric fans require relays?

Old 03-25-2015, 07:06 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

DUB
Old 04-19-2015, 09:08 AM
5MERCS
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Finding my short

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Model year? Who wired your fans? Obviously they're using power from the radio and need to find another source for the fans. Don't the aftermarket electric fans require relays?

HI MIKE,
i have a 69 corvette, I wired in the fans. Spaal fans. They have been working fine for weeks. i have them connected to the fuse panel where a couple of terminals were free. also each fan has its own fuse and electrical relay attached to the fire wall closest to speedometer cable entrance. Each relay has a hot wire running to the battery in the rear seat behind the driver.

The radio and electric antenna have been working fine as well. The main power to the radio has been plugged into its original hot wire harness end for years. The radio is after market and has been working fine as well.
Yesterday i watched and as soon as i turned the ignition switch to on/ without starting the engine, the directional fuse melted. i also notice when i jiggled the directional flasher that the fans came on and off. My electric antenna which is new does not come up when i turn on the radio but the electric fans do. It would normally pop up.
It is very strange as all systems have been working fine til i put the passenger panel in place. Behind that panel is just a wiring harness that i hung up and then placed the flasher in its cradle. The short is somewhere in the directional wiring. i just needed to know what the fastest way to trace down a short would be.
I have some continuity probe testers i bought today that turn red with live power and green when i probe and hit ground.

i have the wiring schematics from my manual and have been getting very familiar with the wiring .
I can start my car and run it but the ammeter never gets to fully charge anymore to the center, as the short is keeping it to the 11pm position.
What do you think? any tips would be appreciated...in locating the short.

Much thanks Marc Mercury
Old 04-23-2015, 02:57 AM
5MERCS
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Default New findings on short

Originally Posted by 5MERCS
HI MIKE,
i have a 69 corvette, I wired in the fans. Spaal fans. They have been working fine for weeks. i have them connected to the fuse panel where a couple of terminals were free. also each fan has its own fuse and electrical relay attached to the fire wall closest to speedometer cable entrance. Each relay has a hot wire running to the battery in the rear seat behind the driver.

The radio and electric antenna have been working fine as well. The main power to the radio has been plugged into its original hot wire harness end for years. The radio is after market and has been working fine as well.
Yesterday i watched and as soon as i turned the ignition switch to on/ without starting the engine, the directional fuse melted. i also notice when i jiggled the directional flasher that the fans came on and off. My electric antenna which is new does not come up when i turn on the radio but the electric fans do. It would normally pop up.
It is very strange as all systems have been working fine til i put the passenger panel in place. Behind that panel is just a wiring harness that i hung up and then placed the flasher in its cradle. The short is somewhere in the directional wiring. i just needed to know what the fastest way to trace down a short would be.
I have some continuity probe testers i bought today that turn red with live power and green when i probe and hit ground.

i have the wiring schematics from my manual and have been getting very familiar with the wiring .
I can start my car and run it but the ammeter never gets to fully charge anymore to the center, as the short is keeping it to the 11pm position.
What do you think? any tips would be appreciated...in locating the short.

Much thanks Marc Mercury

TODAY i realized that i plugged the radio hot into one the the fan hot wire terminals so whenever i turned on my radio the fans would come on. Well now the fans do not come on at all but at least the antenna goes up when turn on the radio.

Checks booth fuses, 30 amp, from the fans to the battery, in line with relays, fuses are ok but fans do not come on when engine reaches proper temp. I hope i did not blow a relay????

I still have the directional turn signal fuse blowing but do not know why. Do you have any ideas. Calling Spall fans tech line and ask them why the fans do not work.

any hints be appreciated as i cannot drive car until the direction signal works...
Old 04-23-2015, 07:06 PM
DUB
Race Director

YOU are aware...that IF you have your wiring for your fans being plugged into the terminals in the center of you fuse panel....that is more than likely where you have a problem.

Those terminals in the center are already being protected by the fuse beside it...depending if it is the IGN, BATT or ACC terminal.

For me to help you...you will need to take good photos and post your wiring schematic EXACTLY...and I mean EXACTLY on how you have it wired currently.

DUB
Old 04-28-2015, 03:48 AM
5MERCS
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Help with short re:

Originally Posted by DUB
YOU are aware...that IF you have your wiring for your fans being plugged into the terminals in the center of you fuse panel....that is more than likely where you have a problem.

Those terminals in the center are already being protected by the fuse beside it...depending if it is the IGN, BATT or ACC terminal.

For me to help you...you will need to take good photos and post your wiring schematic EXACTLY...and I mean EXACTLY on how you have it wired currently.

DUB
WOW DUB,
I APPRECIATE YOU REPLY. HERE IS WHERE I AM NOW. THE FANS WORK GREAT NOW. I HAD THEM CONN. TO THE IGN. TERMINAL RATHER THAN ACC terminal . i also earlier had the radio hot plugged into the fan double terminal as the color coding between orange and red was had to see being upside down earlier.

My only issue now is my 20 amp fuse keeps blowing aaas i turn the IGN switch forward to on, but not starting the engine.
When i follow the turn signal wires to the directional flasher, one terminal on the flasher is a purple wire 14 gauge and the other terminal of the 2, has 2 pink wires a 12 and 18 gauge i believe .

when i touch my continuity tester to the right side of the fuse terminal (no fuse intact) and run the other test lead to the purple female on flasher side ( flasher plugged in) i get a closed circuit reading and a 12 v signal as well, with IGN turned on. also the fuse does NOT blow this time because the flasher is disconnected. Tester leads to the other flasher terminal side with 2 pink wires just shows closed circuit as tester is buzzing just like the closed circuit above.

i should not get a 12 v hot reading as well as closed circuit buzz from the fuse side (empty) to the end of the purple side of empty flasher wire should i ???.

Thnks Dub..
zincerely Marc Mercury
Old 04-28-2015, 06:22 PM
DUB
Race Director

Marc,
QUESTIONS:

1.) Do you have a wiring diagram???

2.) I can assume that the fuse that is blowing is the TURN SIGNAL FUSE...correct???

The flasher is more than likely NOT your problem...because all it basically is is a switch. So when it is CLOSED....it supplies 12 volts to the other wire going to the flasher....and IF that wire is grounded.....the fuse will blow.

I can look at my wiring diagram...and if you do not have one I would suggest you get one or at least the schematic for your turn signals.

I would be more than glad to help you. if you want my help and it is worth it to you...PM me so I can give you my shop phone number and you can call me when you are at your car and I can walk you through what to check. IF you a re not able to call me due to being out of the United States...do not speak English..or whatever the reason is....then this can take some time to find the problem.

DUB
Old 04-29-2015, 10:22 AM
5MERCS
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Default fuse short

Originally Posted by DUB
Marc,
QUESTIONS:

1.) Do you have a wiring diagram???

2.) I can assume that the fuse that is blowing is the TURN SIGNAL FUSE...correct???

The flasher is more than likely NOT your problem...because all it basically is is a switch. So when it is CLOSED....it supplies 12 volts to the other wire going to the flasher....and IF that wire is grounded.....the fuse will blow.

I can look at my wiring diagram...and if you do not have one I would suggest you get one or at least the schematic for your turn signals.

I would be more than glad to help you. if you want my help and it is worth it to you...PM me so I can give you my shop phone number and you can call me when you are at your car and I can walk you through what to check. IF you a re not able to call me due to being out of the United States...do not speak English..or whatever the reason is....then this can take some time to find the problem.

DUB
Good Morn Dub

Yes i have schematic

yes is is the fuse for the signal . 20 amp

Yes i would like to get your phone # and e mail so i can text and send photo to you of fuse panel if necessary.

Thanks.
p.s. my phone number is 702 275 6013 you can text me you info to that number ok. i have a smart phone....
Much thanks...
Marc Mercury

i plugged my new electric antennae into the adjacent extra terminal of the fuse..i will remove it and see what happens.
Much thanks for all you info...
Old 04-30-2015, 07:31 PM
DUB
Race Director

Called you and left a message and my number.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Wiring short question..

Quick Reply: Wiring short question..