C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator air dam on my 72

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 08:53 PM
DrVincennes
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Radiator air dam on my 72

Installed a new radiator air dam today on my 72. Now the center of the hood at the front is about 1/8 inch higher than the nose. This needs to be a snug fit against the hood for optimal AC performance but I'm concerned the hood may warp over time if left as is. Has anybody else experienced this same problem?
Thanks
Old 05-27-2015, 07:28 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi D,
I'm surprised the foam air dam is firm enough to lift the hood. If you press down on the hood can you get rid of the 1/8"
Is it possible that the pressure of the hood on the core support air dam will compress the foam rubber a bit in a couple of weeks?
This is often the situation on new door and roof panel weatherstripping… it compresses a bit over time.
I'd watch it for a while and then re-assess the fit.
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-27-2015, 07:45 PM
DrVincennes
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi D,
I'm surprised the foam air dam is firm enough to lift the hood. If you press down on the hood can you get rid of the 1/8"
Is it possible that the pressure of the hood on the core support air dam will compress the foam rubber a bit in a couple of weeks?
This is often the situation on new door and roof panel weatherstripping… it compresses a bit over time.
I'd watch it for a while and then re-assess the fit.
Regards,
Alan
Alan, thanks for the response. Yes, you can push down on the hood and the foam will compress so the hood becomes flush with the nose. This is the second new air dam I've install. The foam on the first new one installed was much more dense than the one just installed. Same vendor but very different products. I am surprised that the softer more pliable form actually affects the hood. I'm hoping the foam compresses in a short time. Should I be concerned about the hood warping?
Thanks
Dr
Old 05-28-2015, 07:24 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi dr,
Concerned?
It's certainly something that would pass through my mind too.
I think I'd try to reach up pas the core support from below and try to assess just how much pressure the dam is exerting on the hood.
The only sure thing to do is to trim the dam to put your mind at ease??
Regards,
Alan

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator air dam on my 72

Quick Reply: Radiator air dam on my 72