C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering control valve re-build kits

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 11:35 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Default Power steering control valve re-build kits

My power steering control valve has sprung a leak so looking to rebuild it.

Paragon has this kit that include ball stud, caps and shuttle valve items.
https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-35...build-kit.aspx

56$ for all the stuff needed.

Zip has this kit with mostly seals.
http://www.zip-corvette.com/catalog/...category/7550/
$22.95

So question is, do I need the new ball stud, caps and shuttle valve and other bits necessarily or will that have to be determined upon dissassembly?

With it leaking I know I need the seals at least. Not sure how much wear the other items experience in normal use. And if putting in new parts on an old housing is going to be an effective fix for worn components.
Anyone who has not replaced the caps and shuttle valve etc. experience problems from not doing so?

Are there better kits out there?
Old 03-17-2015, 01:22 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
My power steering control valve has sprung a leak so looking to rebuild it.

Paragon has this kit that include ball stud, caps and shuttle valve items.
https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-35...build-kit.aspx

56$ for all the stuff needed.

Zip has this kit with mostly seals.
http://www.zip-corvette.com/catalog/...category/7550/
$22.95

So question is, do I need the new ball stud, caps and shuttle valve and other bits necessarily or will that have to be determined upon dissassembly?

With it leaking I know I need the seals at least. Not sure how much wear the other items experience in normal use. And if putting in new parts on an old housing is going to be an effective fix for worn components.

Anyone who has not replaced the caps and shuttle valve etc. experience problems from not doing so?

Are there better kits out there?
NAPA and other auto parts stores have the seals for the valve for $10-$15. Just what you need to stop the leak, not the complete rebuild.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:03 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

How many miles (or how many miles do you think) on your Vette. (i.e. 40,000, 140,000, 240,000 miles). Did your Vette live a pampered life or do you suspect severe useage by its previous owner(s). If you think that you may be in the higher figures (or severe useage), I would say that a complete rebuild with a new ball stud, etc might not hurt.

You have to remember that when we designed and manufactured components for the C2/C3 steering systems, we never considered possible 50+ year life spans.

Jim
Old 03-17-2015, 10:24 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

NAPA and other auto parts stores have the seals for the valve for $10-$15. Just what you need to stop the leak, not the complete rebuild.
Thanks wombvette, probably the direction I will go if I just need the seals.

How many miles (or how many miles do you think) on your Vette. (i.e. 40,000, 140,000, 240,000 miles).
72,000 miles at this point. Definitely not 172,000 miles.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:55 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Well, time marches on and so does the obsolescence of car parts.

Local parts stores only have steering rebuild kits for special order with fewer components and more $ than buying on line by a long shot.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:02 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

There's a video floating around on how to do it (Wilcox...maybe???)but it's not that easy. Someone who has done rebuilds on many different parts should be able to handle it. I believe if you're already into it and you have it on the bench, rebuild the entire until. Ball, stud, seals and lines while you're in there IMHO
Old 03-17-2015, 04:48 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

If car was maintained well in the past, you may not need the ball stud, etc. But, if it wasn't...or if you don't know...buy the stud and do it right while you have it out. A few bucks difference is pretty small when it comes to having a good steering system.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:50 PM
commander_47
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
You have to remember that when we designed and manufactured components for the C2/C3 steering systems, we never considered possible 50+ year life spans.

Jim
First of all, I want to thank Jim Shea for all that he has posted on here. I found the papers on the steering column invaluable.

I have to say that I have had absolutely horrible experience with purchased valves, professionally rebuilt valves, and my own rebuilt valves following instructions to the letter.......several times.

I bought this one new rebuilt from one of our noted vendors:

Two weeks after installing it, this is what I woke up to:

The new valve was leaking like a sieve. I was able to exchange it, and about two weeks later was faced with the same puddle of fluid:

This time I took the valve apart, and this is what I found:

I got a kit from Auto Zone, and put it together. As before, it worked fine for about three weeks, then, the dreaded puddle of fluid. I took it apart again, and found this:

A true punishment patriot, I again went to Auto Zone. I brought the blown o ring and they gave me a new kit:

You guessed it, about three days this time and the puddle of fluid was back. Fed up, and sick of lousy steering, I went and ordered one of these from Mud Flaps and have never looked back.

I also got one immediately for my 79. There is just no substitute in bang for the buck with a Borgeson box. Steering is greatly improved, and my garage floor is now spotless!!!

Last edited by commander_47; 03-17-2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:29 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 456 Likes on 355 Posts

I just bought a seal kit today from OR's.
I too, did not have very good luck with rebuilt units, so I bought a brand new one.
Well, it lasted a few years and has recently started leaking. I looked at numerous rebuild kits and the pictures all look alike even though they were different brands and different prices. Even the printing on the plastic bag looked the same. So I went with the locally available one (also the cheapest) from OR's. The box says made in usa. I'll start on it tomorrow.
I wonder if these units have the same problems as the master cylinders have had with cheap Chinese rubber seals?
Could be why so many have failed in the last 5-7 yrs.
I also rented a tie rod puller that popped off the ball stud from the pitman arm in about 5 minutes. There is another thread here that talks about this also. There is a HF tool that runs about $20 that has good reviews.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:38 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Sounds like I may be in for dissapointment regardless of what kit I buy.

Could be you are right sayfoo, cheap rubber. Kind of like the accelerator pumps in the Q-jet. A real problem with ethanol for most rubber.

What kind of power steering fluid you guys using?

commander_47 are you using ATF, the fluid looked red.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:53 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds like I may be in for dissapointment regardless of what kit I buy.

Could be you are right sayfoo, cheap rubber. Kind of like the accelerator pumps in the Q-jet. A real problem with ethanol for most rubber.

What kind of power steering fluid you guys using?

I have built hundreds of these things. If they are assembled correctly, they will last a good while. Getting the seal in correctly and straight so its not pinched is not easy, so take care with the assembly.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:19 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by wombvette
I have built hundreds of these things. If they are assembled correctly, they will last a good while. Getting the seal in correctly and straight so its not pinched is not easy, so take care with the assembly.
Thanks. Much more encouraging.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:29 AM
hamck
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My valve doesn't leak but the ball socket has some slop in it. After reading this I'm afraid to mess with it.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:10 AM
commander_47
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I am not using any special fluid. Just GM power steering fluid.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:38 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 456 Likes on 355 Posts

There are a couple of video's out there that will help you if you decide to rebuild. 80% of the labor is r&r'ing the valve. the rebuild is fairly easy. The last part where you bolt the 2 halves together and making sure that the cup seal is straight is the whole ball of wax.
I finished mine and took a 40 mile ride. It's not leaking (yet).
Old 03-21-2015, 10:43 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Sayfoo
There are a couple of video's out there that will help you if you decide to rebuild. 80% of the labor is r&r'ing the valve. the rebuild is fairly easy. The last part where you bolt the 2 halves together and making sure that the cup seal is straight is the whole ball of wax.
I finished mine and took a 40 mile ride. It's not leaking (yet).
I've watched the video's that I have found, it all looks pretty straight forward.
So far I have taken it off the car cleaned it up and disassembled. Found where each of the 3 seals were that there was a rust ring where maybe the seal had sat for a long period during vehicle storage or something. Couldn't feel pitting but could see the ring. So I buffed those areas and got the ring buffed out. Got the housing cleaned and painted, now waiting on parts to arrive.
The ball stud shows some wear and a little pitting but I would say it is perfectly serviceable. I did decide to get the kit with the new ball stud so that will be replaced anyhow.
The power steering cylinder is what I may have to replace. There is a small partial ring around the chrome rod that is missing the chrome. It's smooth and the seal can slide over the area easily, but it may leak after I put the rebuild kit on it. Just have wait and see.
The ball stud has some pitting also and what appears to be a crack? So might need a new ball stud for that. I'll wait to see if the cylinder leaks around the missing chrome or not to get a new one of those.
If it leaks then a new cylinder will have to go on.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:09 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hamck
My valve doesn't leak but the ball socket has some slop in it. After reading this I'm afraid to mess with it.
When the engine is off you will see play in the ball socket. Pressure from the PS pump will tighten up the valve.

To the O.P. - the control valve has a 'dry' and 'wet' side as you have probably figured out. You won't know if you need a new ball stud and components on the dry side until you take the valve apart. I don't think you will find those parts at the local parts store. You could order a dry side kit from a vendor and return it if it turns out that you don't need it.

I rebuilt my original control valve twice. The first time I mangled a seal during assembly so take care when working the seals into the housing. I didn't have any problems with the valve after that but I also had a worn steering box so I eventually replaced everything with a Borgeson conversion. Very happy with the result.

Rick B.

Get notified of new replies

To Power steering control valve re-build kits

Old 03-22-2015, 10:13 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Here is a video we did on the rebuild, it may possibly help you.

Willcox.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:11 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Here is a video we did on the rebuild, it may possibly help you.

Willcox.
An excellent video, as are all your videos, Wilcox.
Thank you very much. I really appreciate that you take the time to illustrate repair/assembly of various items on the corvette. It's a great help to those who have not had to repair that item before.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:27 AM
riverracer au
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 180 Posts

i have rebuilt 2 of them, mine and a mates from my club
downloaded the "Power Steering Valve instructions" from http://www.cssbinc.com/howto.aspx
as i pulled it apart, i laid it out and took my own photos,

bought the large complete kit thru Willcox, couple of different kits are available.
de-greased and painted body, then reassembled.
just pay attention to the lip seal direction when it goes back on.
no leaks on either of them for over 2yrs

Quick Reply: Power steering control valve re-build kits