C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

upper shaft on T & T column won't lock

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 04:32 PM
autoenvirons
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upper shaft on T & T column won't lock

Replaced ignition switch on '79 Corvette, but accidentally touched lock for T&T, and upper shaft came loose - cannot replace plate using tool because upper shaft comes out. How do I get it to lock?
Old 11-26-2015, 05:44 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

No need for it to be locked--that said, I've found that the tool supplied with most steering wheel puller kits is both too short and too flimsy to be of any use. The factory manual suggests a nut or similar beneath each leg of the standard (and presumably far sturdier) GM tool.

If you can find a helper or two for a few minutes you can install the snap ring without any tools. One or two push like mad, the other slips in the ring.

Last edited by SwampeastMike; 11-26-2015 at 05:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
autoenvirons (11-27-2015)
Old 11-26-2015, 06:30 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Trying to understand what you wrote because it was not clearly written...so I will stab at this and I hope it is when you need.

I am guessing that you are trying to pout in the lock plate. And in doing so...when you are trying to compress it...the tele shaft comes out.....IF that is what is happening...you need to go get an Allen head set screw and put it in the hole of the steering shaft and push the shaft all the way down and tighten the Allen set screw. This will hold the shaft from moving and your lock plate suppressing tool will work. And this is so the large thick 'c' clip can slide own and hold the lock plate. Hopefully you have a new 'c' clip insulator ( because they seem to shatter when removed)...or your horn will blow all the time without it. ALSO....there is only one correct way to put the lock plate and horn contact in If you flip the lock plate and it is not flush against the horn contact when placed together...it is WRONG.....flip it and check it to make sure that the plastic horn contact is flush and touching the metal lock plate. These two parts can fit together BOTH WAYS...but only ONE way is correct!!!

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 11-26-2015 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:26 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

In place of the "star" screw you want a 5/16-18 UNC set screw or a #20 Allen set screw. Use the screw to lock the upper steering shaft from moving as your tool compresses the locking plate.

Here is a picture of the locking plate and clip.

This should get the parts back together correctly.

Jim
Jeffs82c3 (11-28-2015)
Old 11-27-2015, 09:33 AM
autoenvirons
Cruising

Thanks for the quick reply - I cannot get the upper shaft to stay in the column in order to use the tool - I gather the rod inside that shaft engages something to effect the locking - how can I lock the shaft to use the tool?
Old 11-27-2015, 09:39 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by autoenvirons
Thanks for the quick reply - I cannot get the upper shaft to stay in the column in order to use the tool - I gather the rod inside that shaft engages something to effect the locking - how can I lock the shaft to use the tool?

The upper shaft has a groove in the bottom for a Woodruff key to go in. When the screw is tightened it forces the Woodruff key against the inside of the bore and locks the shaft in place. Pull your shaft out and you'll see the groove the Woodruff key is supposed to be in. Get a parts blow-up and you'll see that key.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:20 AM
autoenvirons
Cruising

Yes, I can see the woodruff key and the rod which activates it (I assume), but no matter how I try, I cannot get the upper shaft to lock in - the tilt still works, but the telescope doesn't lock -

I see that the range of motion for telescoping is limited by the C insert - but I don't understand how the telescoping can be latched at any particular position.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:23 AM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

As described above, you need to screw a bolt into the top end of the shaft, this pushes down on the rod and forces the woodruff key into the side of the lower shaft and locks it in place.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:25 AM
autoenvirons
Cruising

I was able to use the tool without problem during disassembly - the upper shaft was locked in until I touched the lever - now will not relock.

My concern is that the telescoping feature will not work after reassembly.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:37 AM
'75
Le Mans Master

If you'll just screw the star bolt into the end of the shaft you will see that it works perfectly, it's a very simple system. some of the lock plate tools have a 5/16 bolt as part of the tool that will lock the shaft in place so the shaft stays put during assembly and dis-assembly.

Old 11-27-2015, 12:24 PM
autoenvirons
Cruising

I was able to use the tool without problem during disassembly - the upper shaft was locked in until I touched the lever - now will not relock.

My concern is that the telescoping feature will not work after reassembly.

If I insert a bolt and tighten the upper shaft will lock, but loosens when I remove the bolt - is this the proper action? I was under the impression that you could lock the telescoping at any location.
Old 11-27-2015, 02:58 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

When you reassemble the tilt lock mechanism, there is a star shaped bolt that goes in the end of the shaft. The tele lock release lever is attached to that with 2 small screws. Tighten the star screw till the tele locks, then attach the release lever to it with the 2 small screws so it will release when turned counterclockwise.

This should help

http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?p=1004

Last edited by '75; 11-27-2015 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:15 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I wrote it in POST#3....and it depends on the type of lock plate surpressor tool you are using. You install an ALLEN socket head set screw in the end of the shaft...and tighten it...and it will NOT allow your tele rod to move...so your tool will be able to go onto the threads of the steering shaft and compress the lock place.

My tool looks differently that the one in Jims photo. It threads over the threads of the steering shaft.

'75 shows a different but similar tool where the long bolt TAKES PLACE of the Allen set screw that I have to use.

The only other thing can be is the rod that goes into the hole at the end of your steering column shaft is not there...and you TELE shaft will not lock and stay if it is missing. They normally do not come out and are a bit of fun to get out with the column still in the car. SO I doubt that that is it...but you never know.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To upper shaft on T & T column won't lock

Quick Reply: upper shaft on T & T column won't lock