C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center Link

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 07:37 AM
hadams
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Center Link

Haven’t been on in a while but certainly enjoying my 75 L-82 since. Need to have the Manual Steering Gearbox rebuilt. What’s the best way to separate the ball stud on the Center Link Damper from the Pittman Arm? Not sure there is a good way to get a Pickle Fork in there without damaging something on the Damper assembly. Loosen nut and tap from the top? The rag joint is in great shape but once I have it out, I’ll replace it anyway, since it is so inexpensive.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:46 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by hadams
Haven’t been on in a while but certainly enjoying my 75 L-82 since. Need to have the Manual Steering Gearbox rebuilt. What’s the best way to separate the ball stud on the Center Link Damper from the Pittman Arm? Not sure there is a good way to get a Pickle Fork in there without damaging something on the Damper assembly. Loosen nut and tap from the top? The rag joint is in great shape but once I have it out, I’ll replace it anyway, since it is so inexpensive.

I have always used two heavy hammers to release tapered studs. By placing one hammer on one side and beating it on the other side the stud will pop loose.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:21 PM
mikep3
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Default TBTR is right

I rented a heavy duty pittman arm removal tool. With standard length wrenches and all the grunting I could give did nothing.
Then I used the two hammer thing. My largest ball/peen hammer on one side and a two pound short handle maul on the other side. Two hits and a large bang, it was off!
From that point on I always use the two hammer trick to undo anything with a taper like ball joints, tie rod ends etc.

Last edited by mikep3; 12-23-2015 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:14 PM
1974CorvetteJimCr
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Ball Joint Separator Tool -- Pittsburgh Automotive - Item#99849

Originally Posted by hadams
I own a Ball Joint Separator Tool from Harbor Freight, and it works like magic! Only $23. I have separated that exact ball joint (stud) with this tool.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
DUB (12-24-2015)
Old 12-24-2015, 07:18 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by 1974CorvetteJimCr
I own a Ball Joint Separator Tool from Harbor Freight, and it works like magic! Only $23. I have separated that exact ball joint (stud) with this tool.

I am just not into beating on parts. Many of the Corvettes I work on would cause for me to have to deal with repairing the damage to them.

DUB
Old 12-30-2015, 08:11 AM
hadams
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Beat it like it owed me money!

Originally Posted by DUB

I am just not into beating on parts. Many of the Corvettes I work on would cause for me to have to deal with repairing the damage to them.

DUB
Yup,

I left the Pitman arm attached to the steering gear box and was beatin that thing like it owed me money (the damper ball joint) - Just wasn't working. Used a block of hardwood to hit on - which soon disintegrated. Heated the relay rod with MAP gas and finally got it off after putting the steering wheel at the hard stop and hammering the relay rod downward in the vicinity of the damper. I had to lay a ball peen hammer sideways on top of the damper and strike the ball peen hammer. Finally cam off all good but I think I may have oval-ed the damper and beat the ID out of round, slightly. Well see how the job goes replacing the damper assy. I thought I might just use a "C"-clamp to correct the potential out of round condition if it is a problem getting the threaded end cap off. Wish me luck!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Center Link

Quick Reply: Center Link