C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thermostat quesiton

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 10:52 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

Default thermostat quesiton

when my car is warming up, it does as you would expect, it warms to a certain point, then when the thermostat opens, it drops back down. What's strange is that it warms back up again, then the temp drops, and this cycle continues for a good while as I'm driving along. Has anyone heard of this before? No the car doesn't have an electric fan that's constantly kicking on to cycle the temp back down.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:45 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

My dodge w/Cummings does that. Used to worry me at first but now at 250k mi and a new T-stat ijust watch it happen. All kinds of things can happen inside the coolant sys. I would only worry if temp gets over 212*F.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:41 PM
blue427
Burning Brakes

Received 128 Likes on 102 Posts

check or change your radiator cap,a bad one will do that.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:36 PM
usmilret
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Very possible that you have an air pocket in your engine coolant. Try running th engine with the radiator cap off for about fifteen minutes, it might chase the air out. Do not run it to full operating temp. If you do the coolant may boil as the pressure is reduced.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:24 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by usmilret
Very possible that you have an air pocket in your engine coolant. Try running th engine with the radiator cap off for about fifteen minutes, it might chase the air out. Do not run it to full operating temp. If you do the coolant may boil as the pressure is reduced.
I would NOT recommend this. No way will it get air out. Your problem IS you have air pockets...CAUSED BY LOW COOLANT LEVEL. These systems are designed to self purge after the thermo opens for the first time.

Fill the rad up to the top, fill the recovery bottle to full line. Make sure the overflow hose is in good shape w no leaks

And replace rad cap.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:50 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by C3 4ME
when my car is warming up, it does as you would expect, it warms to a certain point, then when the thermostat opens, it drops back down. What's strange is that it warms back up again, then the temp drops, and this cycle continues for a good while as I'm driving along. Has anyone heard of this before? No the car doesn't have an electric fan that's constantly kicking on to cycle the temp back down.
It is WISE to always put your year model when posting.. I am assuming that it is the 79 you have in your profile??? Correct?

If it is...then what 'mikem350' wrote in the above post is CORRECT.

AS he wrote:
Fill the rad up to the top, fill the recovery bottle to full line. Make sure the overflow hose is in good shape w no leaks

THIS IS IMPORTANT!!! Especially the overflow reservoir hose from the radiator to the coolant reservoir being GOOD and NO LEAKS.

And...make sure that your radiator cap is tested OR replace it with a 15 lb CLOSED SYSTEM cap. It is IMPORTANT that it is a CLOSED SYSTEM cap.

DUB
Old 02-15-2016, 12:09 PM
Majoho
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by C3 4ME
Do you have Vortec heads on your car? They don't have passages for the internal bypass. Without an external bypass connected, the temperature WILL fluctuate exactly as you describe.

Get notified of new replies

To thermostat quesiton

Quick Reply: thermostat quesiton