C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuild or Replace Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 06:15 PM
MobileGreg
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rebuild or Replace Calipers

I am working on my list of what needs to been done on my 79 project. The front suspension/steering and brakes are obviously a necessity. My question is weather I should try to rebuild the original calipers with one of the kits that is out there or do I need to spend $65 and up for replace calipers. I know the replacements are just rebuilt units too. Has anyone done the rebuild and how hard/easy was it. I have replaced many brakes on newer vehicles over the years and this would my first time a trying a rebuild, but the video I watched looks pretty straight forward and easy.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:52 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 544 Posts

To rebuild them so they can last, you need stainless steel sleves in them. Otherwise they will leak again. rebuilding is pretty easy, but you have no warranty! Buy rebuilt ones and spend your time doing something else. Good luck.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:18 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

I have auto zone brake calibers.they are not expensive .they sometimes have them in stock ,if you have to order them they are next day. you don't have to pay any shipping.have had them for almost 20 years.they look like factory calibers.when one of them leaked they got me another one.lifetime warrenty.
The following users liked this post:
Alwyn678 (10-19-2021)
Old 09-29-2016, 10:05 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

If you know the calipers have already been replaced at one point, they are very likely Stainless Steel sleeved and can be rebuilt fairly easily if you have the time and inclination. You could always disassemble one and check if you're unsure.

If you do decide to separate one (or all of them) to check, I recommend you break the two bolts loose holding the halves together while they are still mounted. It will make it much easier than trying to do in on a bench.

If you do decide to rebuild them, be prepared to replace all of the pistons as well as seals and "O"-rings. Many times the pistons are severely corroded and should be replaced. If you disassemble them first, you'll have a better idea of their condition, just be sure to take it into consideration before ordering. I would also consider replacing the fabric hoses that connect the calipers to the chassis while you're at it.

In the end, it's all about your time and ability. If you have both to spare, I say go for it. There are plenty of threads on here where folks have documented the process and found it rewarding.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 09-30-2016, 12:27 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 115 Posts

It's hard to justify the economics of rebuilding. By the time you purchase four Pistons, four springs, and the seal kit, pay shipping and tax, you are bumping the cost of replacement caliper. Calipers for your car at Advance are $70, minus the 20% off coupon, will cost you $56. And has lifetime warranty. It'll save you about four hours labor.

Last edited by mortgageguy; 09-30-2016 at 12:46 PM.
Alwyn678 (10-19-2021)
Old 09-30-2016, 03:14 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Brakes

I would pull one of the calipers apart to see if they have been sleeved in stainless steel. If so, you can purchase a kit for all four wheels with pistons, seals etc. for about $150. The rebuild is easy. If you trade them in at your local auto store, make sure you get Delco Moraine calipers back. Also, as mentioned above, change out the flexible brake lines at each wheel if they are more than a few years old. Jerry
Old 09-30-2016, 03:49 PM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by MobileGreg
IMy question is weather I should try to rebuild the original calipers with one of the kits that is out there or do I need to spend $65 and up for replace calipers. I know the replacements are just rebuilt units too. Has anyone done the rebuild and how hard/easy was it. I have replaced many brakes on newer vehicles over the years and this would my first time a trying a rebuild, but the video I watched looks pretty straight forward and easy.
I just went through this exercise with my 78 and elected to replace calipers with stainless steel sleeved and O-rings...replacing the lip seals. But I also am replacing the master cylinder along with hoses.

I dragged a caliper to Carlisle and spent probably 90 minutes (day 1) with the caliper tech guys at Lonestar, concluding my calipers were original but not sleeved. Of course, I could have gotten the originals sleeved and returned but why? So replaced them with O-ring configured seals.

I figured some former Bubba had replaced the master cylinder, brake pads and rotors but neglected the calipers...leaving them with their original lip seals...they were heavily corroded and disfunctional!

One option I thought about is as you give thought to is...rebuild the existing. But when we opened them up...it's like why bother! Your pricing will vary if you get them over the counter at a franchise parts store (NAP, Auto, etc) or if you wish to get the Delco Moraine embossed calipers. The price varies.

Once you get parts...the project is straight forward and quite mechanical. I have done it before with both calipers and M/C with the only patience required in the bleeding of calipers to get the air out. At which point, you know exactly what you have, how you did it and ready to do it again if necessary.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:58 PM
MobileGreg
Advanced

Sounds like the first thing I need to do is pull a caliper and see what it is. You mention setting the delco moraine embossed caliper, is there a reason for that? Trying to.learn all I can about the details of the Corvette before I get the wrong parts.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:03 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

The housing of the brake calipers will either have DELCO MORAINE in raised cast letters...or NOT. The DELCO lettered calipers is what came on the car...the others are aftermarket housings.

It is a matter of person choice. Some people want the DELCO calipers due to that is what the car came with...while others do not care. And just because the calipers do not have the Delco name on them does not mean that they will not work.

DUB
Old 09-30-2016, 07:18 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by MobileGreg
Sounds like the first thing I need to do is pull a caliper and see what it is. You mention getting the delco moraine embossed caliper, is there a reason for that? Trying to.learn all I can about the details of the Corvette before I get the wrong parts.
Most calipers that you will find on the market are rebuilt cores, many of which are Delco Moraine, but not all are. Lonestar Caliper advertises that they have... Brand new Delco Moraine caliper castings for the 1965-82 Corvette. Castings are licensed by GM and are correct in every aspect. Calipers are Stainless Steel Sleeved and fully assembled ready to put on the car.

Many consider the Delco Moraine calipers the most desirable.

You will probably want to check with the vendor selling them to see what they have available if you want to be sure to get Delco calipers.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 09-30-2016, 08:00 PM
MobileGreg
Advanced

I figured it was probably a preference thing but just wanted to be sure. I will definitely look for them, but I'm not going to be that specific if I can't find them right away mainly just
want to get the car where I can start drivin it while doing the other work. Can also change them.out later if I decide to go that route.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:02 PM
Ydnar44
Intermediate

I couldn't bring myself to give auto zone my calipers, bought a kit from stainless steel Corvette brakes, o rings w/ pistons no springs. Pretty easy.
Well worth the time, motive bleeder is a good investment.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:58 AM
Lobzila
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

When I rebuilt my calipers, I could not beleive how much crap was in the piston pockets and that they actually still worked before I took them apart. They work much better now. While you have them out, now is the time to paint them!
Hoanez (12-19-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To Rebuild or Replace Calipers

Quick Reply: Rebuild or Replace Calipers