C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detailed 79 Wiper Motor Schematic?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 04:49 PM
leeklm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailed 79 Wiper Motor Schematic?

Still trying to adapt a 77 interior wiring/fuse panel to an external 79 engine harness- would be easier to install a 77 engine harness to the firewall- but trying to save a few bucks.

The one item left is figuring out the wiper motor. Some of you saw my earlier post where the steering column wiper harness was fried- so I am not sure if the wiper motor even works.

bmotojoe provided me with a detailed schematic of the 77 wiper motor, but the 79 colors are different. Does anyone have the breakdown on what each color wire does on the 79 wiper motor?

I presume that I can test the motor by simply applying power, then applying 12v to the correct terminal.

In the event that the 77 column wiper switch is fried, we may just install a toggle switch in the dash, and wire the wipers to single speed in the rare event a person is caught in the rain. Not pretty, but the 77 column switch is impossible to find!! Did i mention this is not a concurs show car?
Old 10-08-2016, 04:51 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Willcox has this information.

DUB
Old 10-08-2016, 06:35 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

The regular (non-delay) wiper circuit is simple and wiring colors should be similar to '77.

Forgot you already had a '79 engine harness in your '77. The colors I mention here all explain what you find in the engine compartment.

Three or four wires run from the bulkhead connector to the wiper motor. White is +12V direct from the WIPER fuse. Pink, purple and grey are common colors. Purple is the "run" ground--it must be grounded for the wipers to run at either speed. Grey is the "speed" ground. With grey is open to ground the wipers will run on "hi". Grey is grounded at "lo" and "off". There is also a black (engine ground) at the wiper motor.

The harness connectors for '79 (without delay) are three conductor: (pink, purple and grey) and two conductor: (black and grey). A second two-conductor connector (black and grey) are ground and illumination power, respectively.

A pink wire at both the switch and bulkhead connector provides ground to the washer motor which may be part of either your wiper motor assembly or your washer tank.

To test your motor ground the black wire that is probably its own connector. Put +12V to white. Ground both other wires (purple & grey) and the motor will run on "low". Ground only the purple and the motor runs at "high".

Don't forget that you are providing grounds and NOT power via the wiper switch (either '77 or 79')! For basic two-speed wipers only two wires are needed at the switch. A third wire is required for the "wash" function and it too provides ground.

Last edited by SwampeastMike; 10-08-2016 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:25 PM
leeklm
Intermediate

Default Thank you

A million thanks Mike!!! I was able to get the wipers working with the factory switch! The big thing I was missing was the function of each wire. The mystery wire from the fried harness does go to ground.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:41 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

Glad you could understand what I wrote and got it working!

So it's now working with the original switch in the original location. If so that's REALLY great as it will save you $$$$ and LOTS of time!
Old 10-10-2016, 10:17 PM
leeklm
Intermediate

Yep, works with factory switch! Was nice we did not have to cobble anything together.

Get notified of new replies

To Detailed 79 Wiper Motor Schematic?

Quick Reply: Detailed 79 Wiper Motor Schematic?