C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another "woe is me" thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 08:15 AM
Big Block Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Default Another "woe is me" thread

Well, subsequent to my last "build" thread, it looks like after about 150 miles I get to unbuild my car and probably miss another season.

Ive been chasing down a bunch of smaller issues like leaky water neck, squeaky belts, quadra jet issues [possible rebuild of a holley 6212], etc.

Otherwise the car met my expectations... until the other night.

It first happened when I downshifted from 3rd to 2nd. Crunch.
Hmm.. did I not have my foot all the way to the floor?

Upshift from 1st to 2nd. BANG!
Am I stupid?

This didn't happen on every up and downshift, but occurred several more times. Always goes into gear, but does so in a violent way. Only occurs while shifting into 2nd. All other gears are fine.

My Richmond 5 speed overdrive will have to come out.
Hoorah.

I have basically zero free time, and was lucky enough to finish putting the car together in the first place. Now I get to pull this behemoth of a transmission back out. I knew I should have just left the M20 in it!

Oh well... I missed last season in hopes of enjoying this one, but i guess thats out!

UPDATE: For anyone coming across this thread on a search of Richmond 5 speed overdrive, go to post #20. Im a dope that didn't use locktight on the shifter mount bolts.

Last edited by Big Block Dave; 04-07-2017 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Update
Old 03-26-2017, 09:05 AM
76Rat
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Ouch! That sucks Was that a new transmission or used?
Old 03-26-2017, 09:14 AM
Big Block Dave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 76Rat
Ouch! That sucks Was that a new transmission or used?

Brand new
Old 03-26-2017, 10:10 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Block Dave
Ive been chasing down a bunch of smaller issues like leaky water neck, squeaky belts, quadra jet issues [possible rebuild of a holley 6212], etc.
Boy do I hear you?

I usually make a list and add things to it that need to be fixed. My list is over 15 items now. The car is basically together and is being driven (when possible) almost daily. Every week it seems something new pops up. I get very frustrated as I just put an overdrive in and can hardly get any opportunities to drive it.

Sorry about your transmission. That is a true downer. Best of luck Big Block Dave.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:39 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Sometimes no matter how hard you try things just don't work out. I think we have all at one time or another felt your pain. Don't look back just keep looking ahead. Since the transmission is new I hope it may be under warranty. At least then it's more lost time than anything else.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:06 PM
Big Block Dave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
Sometimes no matter how hard you try things just don't work out. I think we have all at one time or another felt your pain. Don't look back just keep looking ahead. Since the transmission is new I hope it may be under warranty. At least then it's more lost time than anything else.

It is still under warranty, and I do plan on letting Richmond know, however, a close friend of mine works at SK Speed, and has tapped Brian to do the surgery.

Im trying to be positive about this, but Im just tired, and just getting over the point of being p!ssed. Thanks for all of the support fellas.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:17 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The turn-around time for Richmond to replace the defective unit should be a few days, at most. The problem is the removal since a manual C3 has a welded-in cross member.

I would HIGHLY suggest that you consider cutting that cross member out and installing one that is bolted in. Then you can remove the trans from the engine and replace it the same way. Much easier than engine removal. And, if you really want to save the season, consider having a [good] mechanic do the exchange. You should only be down for a week or two (assuming that Richmond can expedite the exchange).
Old 03-26-2017, 02:09 PM
Big Block Dave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
The turn-around time for Richmond to replace the defective unit should be a few days, at most. The problem is the removal since a manual C3 has a welded-in cross member.

I would HIGHLY suggest that you consider cutting that cross member out and installing one that is bolted in. Then you can remove the trans from the engine and replace it the same way. Much easier than engine removal. And, if you really want to save the season, consider having a [good] mechanic do the exchange. You should only be down for a week or two (assuming that Richmond can expedite the exchange).

I cut the crossmember when I put the transmission in. However, I got the transmission underneath the car when there was no engine in it, so it was a lot easier to put it on my jack and roll it underneath the engine bay and into position. Now there is an engine in the way... so now I have to come in from the side, and based on the height/depth of this unit, it will be more like putting an automatic in a car. Im going to have to get the unit off the jack under the car and drag it out.

While I shouldn't make assumptions, I don't expect Richmond to just say "send it back and we'll give you a new one.". I expect friction, and at the minimum I am going to be paying shipping.

For me personally, I would rather spend more money at this point and know that the most competent person is going to go through the whole box to make sure its right.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:52 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

Geez Dave, sorry to hear about this. Be glad to give you a hand when I am back up in a couple of weeks. Good to hear Brian is still around. I had heard he retired and sold off his stash of parts.

Bill
Old 03-26-2017, 09:08 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,130 Likes on 733 Posts

That does suck, S&K are good guys and should get you back on the road fast..
Old 03-26-2017, 09:36 PM
Captain bob
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is still under warranty, and I do plan on letting Richmond know, however, a close friend of mine works at SK Speed, and has tapped Brian to do the surgery.

Im trying to be positive about this, but Im just tired, and just getting over the point of being p!ssed. Thanks for all of the support fellas.
brian is the best in the business! i was under the impression he retired
Old 03-26-2017, 09:39 PM
Big Block Dave
Burning Brakes

I know he definitely did retire and sold off lot of the stash, but he is still doing business.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:37 AM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Could it be your shifter linkage isn't set properly?
Old 03-27-2017, 04:41 AM
usmilret
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I do feel your pain and you have my sympathy. As a C3 owner these cars are beautiful to look at but challenging to maintain. I hope you get your Transmission sorted out.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:25 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

I feel your pain. I just installed a new aluminum flywheel and clutch in my '71. Have about 2000 miles on it and I think the throw-out bearing is starting to go. I had the engine out at the time (other stuff to do) so it was an easy job at that time. I don't need to pull the engine this time and I'm dreading laying on my back to pull my Muncie. I'm too old for that **** anymore.
I think I'm going to take it to a shop down the street and see what they would charge me to do it. If I had a lift I could have it out in 2 hours. On my back it would take 2 days.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:16 PM
Kim72
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Are you sure the clutch is adjusted properly and disengaging between shifts? Worth checking.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:41 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Kim72
Are you sure the clutch is adjusted properly and disengaging between shifts? Worth checking.
Yup its setup probably.

Get notified of new replies

To Another "woe is me" thread

Old 03-27-2017, 07:46 PM
Big Block Dave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by The Punisher
Could it be your shifter linkage isn't set properly?
That and the clutch engagement were worth questioning. I do know that the shifter is well adjusted. I thought I maybe had too much freeplay on the clutch, and took some out, and it still did the same thing. The car will go into reverse without dragging the clutch. Additionally, the issue is only 2nd gear, whether coming from first or 3rd.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:56 PM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

That and the clutch engagement were worth questioning. I do know that the shifter is well adjusted. I thought I maybe had too much freeplay on the clutch, and took some out, and it still did the same thing. The car will go into reverse without dragging the clutch. Additionally, the issue is only 2nd gear, whether coming from first or 3rd.
My super t10 was doing the same thing. It was the adjustment on the hurst shifter that was causing it.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:05 PM
Big Block Dave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by The Punisher
My super t10 was doing the same thing. It was the adjustment on the hurst shifter that was causing it.
Im glad yours was something simple and relatively painless. It couldn't hurt to look at the shifter adjustment, but I don't think Im going to be that lucky.... Long brand sifter is all heim joints. Pretty much impossible for them to come out of adjustment. Was fine for the 120 miles before this happened.

Last edited by Big Block Dave; 03-28-2017 at 09:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Another "woe is me" thread