C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1990 Corvette VS 2012 Altima coupe 3.5 SR

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 09:10 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Default 1990 Corvette VS 2012 Altima coupe 3.5 SR

Now I know this seems like an odd match up. I have two friends, these are their cars. The vette is a 90 and in mint shape with only 65k miles on it. The Altima is the 2 door Coupe with the 3.5 V6 making 270 horsepower and 250tq.

They are planning to do two races. One at Englishtown quarter mile and one in PA at the roll racing events they have once a year. Both cars are stock and per their bet have to be that way when they race. My buddy with the vette is a cool guy but I can't imagine my friend with the Altima being a graceful winner. I know the vette is down a little on horsepower but I'm sure he has him in the torque department. If the Altima wins we will never hear the end of it You guys know better than anyone so I was wondering how you think this may turn out. The Altima driver is disillusion and thinks he's driving a GTR lol He even told me that he thinks he would give my car a good run I have a 15 Z51 A8 Stingray. We want to teach this punk a lesson!!

ps - This is all in good fun but we don't want to hear this guy talk smack forever lol
Old 12-06-2014, 10:12 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I found on google that a stock 1990 Corvette will run 14.1 seconds in the 1/4 mile. The 2012 Altima 3.5 runs 14.3 seconds in the 1/4 mile.

It will be a drivers race.

But to answer the second part of your post, no the pos Altima will not be coming anywhere near your stingray.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:15 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
I found on google that a stock 1990 Corvette will run 14.1 seconds in the 1/4 mile. The 2012 Altima 3.5 runs 14.3 seconds in the 1/4 mile.

But to answer the second part of your post, no the pos Altima will not be coming anywhere near your stingray.
His L98 runs pretty strong. All that torque will help him. Thanks for the reply I hope the vette takes him!! I know it's a while away but when it happens I'll record it and bring back this thread
Old 12-06-2014, 10:36 AM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly if he can drive that Altima 3.5 it's gonna be a tight race in a drag. Offer him a few laps around watkins glen?
Old 12-06-2014, 10:39 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by volkswagens-for-life
Honestly if he can drive that Altima 3.5 it's gonna be a tight race in a drag. Offer him a few laps around watkins glen?
This is not a bad idea. I think from knowing them both John (vette owner) is a better driver than Alan (altima) so yea this seems like it may be a drivers race. Regardless I know which one I would rather own. C4 all day everyday
Old 12-06-2014, 10:46 AM
Philsphan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess would be the Altima would lose in the 8th... But if it was a roll from 50 id have to go with the Altima maybe... I have a good buddy that has a 2008 Infiniti G37S coupe and when it was new in 08 he raced a kid we knew that had an 01 z28 and got stomped... Granted this is Ls1 against 3.7... But honestly an Ls1 z28 was giving up about 20 something odd horses to a g37s.... Also an entirely different set of cars but who knows about the outcome I would hope the L98 can pull it out... Definitely gotta weigh 300-500 lbs less I would think
Old 12-06-2014, 10:47 AM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

I mean we're comparing nissan's flagship car (besides the gtr) w/ their flagship motor, against a 24 year old stock tuned port lol. A bolt on or tune and that nissan is dust. Again, I stand by my suggestion to a few laps around the 'glen.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:48 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Philsphan
My guess would be the Altima would lose in the 8th... But if it was a roll from 50 id have to go with the Altima maybe... I have a good buddy that has a 2008 Infiniti G37S coupe and when it was new in 08 he raced a kid we knew that had an 01 z28 and got stomped... Granted this is Ls1 against 3.7... But honestly an Ls1 z28 was giving up about 20 something odd horses to a g37s.... Also an entirely different set of cars but who knows about the outcome I would hope the L98 can pull it out... Definitely gotta weigh 300-500 lbs less I would think
Yea but that's not really true. While the Z28 was "rated" at 305 horsepower it was still the same exact LS1 that was in the C5 and when people would dyno their F body LS1 cars they would typically dyno around 300rwhp. So I think the Z28 still had the power advantage despite chevy not wanting to **** off vette owners lol
Old 12-06-2014, 10:50 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

I mean we're comparing nissan's flagship car (besides the gtr) w/ their flagship motor, against a 24 year old stock tuned port lol. A bolt on or tune and that nissan is dust. Again, I stand by my suggestion to a few laps around the 'glen.
I said this and that's when Nissan boy got defensive and told me he would also give my stingray a "run for it's money"
Old 12-06-2014, 10:54 AM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by thegame
Yea but that's not really true. While the Z28 was "rated" at 305 horsepower it was still the same exact LS1 that was in the C5 and when people would dyno their F body LS1 cars they would typically dyno around 300rwhp. So I think the Z28 still had the power advantage despite chevy not wanting to **** off vette owners lol
Agreed. Late model ls1's in the f-bodies were making even 320-330whp I've seen.

I said this and that's when Nissan boy got defensive and told me he would also give my stingray a "run for it's money"
now this is just getting retarded. That nissan wouldn't have a chance with an LT4/5 corvette let alone any c5+. c4+ he wouldn't touch on a road race if the nissan is stock.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:55 AM
Bandit's C4
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Central PA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by DanielRicany

Additionally - the Altima won't reach max HP and torque until 6,000 RPM.
The torque monster C4 will take and keep an early lead thru the lights.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:57 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Agreed. Late model ls1's in the f-bodies were making even 320-330whp I've seen.

now this is just getting retarded. That nissan wouldn't have a chance with an LT4/5 corvette let alone any c5+. c4+ he wouldn't touch on a road race if the nissan is stock.
You guys think I'm making this up but i am dead serious lol He told me last summer how he ran a C6 from a highway roll and put 2 cars on him lol I said did the driver have a heart attack before the race started?? I didn't even get my car yet, I take delivery probably late january or early february but I know the A8 stingrays have already ran 11.4 at 122mph bone stock.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:00 AM
Philsphan
Racer

You guys think I'm making this up but i am dead serious lol He told me last summer how he ran a C6 from a highway roll and put 2 cars on him lol I said did the driver have a heart attack before the race started?? I didn't even get my car yet, I take delivery probably late january or early february but I know the A8 stingrays have already ran 11.4 at 122mph bone stock.
The sad thing is I know people more delusional then the Nissan guy lol... I have a friend with a 2012 Avenger who think he can beat my 88 35th lol... Its like sure it can haha
Old 12-06-2014, 11:02 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

The sad thing is I know people more delusional then the Nissan guy lol... I have a friend with a 2012 Avenger who think he can beat my 88 35th lol... Its like sure it can haha
lmao yea these kind of people do make things interesting though. I have another friend who thought his 94 gt 5.0 was fast till I happened to have my wifes maxima one day and whooped him good lol
Old 12-06-2014, 11:03 AM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Oh I totally believe you that there are people stupid enough to believe such things. He's not pulling from no c6 unless he was the only one racing. I doubt even the fastest altima 3.5 would touch a bone stock stingray. Which, by the way, I'd offer to make people disappear to own one of.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:04 AM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

lmao yea these kind of people do make things interesting though. I have another friend who thought his 94 gt 5.0 was fast till I happened to have my wifes maxima one day and whooped him good lol
Another terribly slow car. You can mod them to be pretty nasty for cheap (in a straight line). But definitely not scary stock. I used to love rocking v8 mustangs in my old big turbo Jetta
Old 12-06-2014, 11:06 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Oh I totally believe you that there are people stupid enough to believe such things. He's not pulling from no c6 unless he was the only one racing. I doubt even the fastest altima 3.5 would touch a bone stock stingray. Which, by the way, I'd offer to make people disappear to own one of.
lol thanks btw I love your town. Every year my best friend and I go down for the bills home opener and another game or two during the season. I was hoping this would be the year we would get to the playoffs but it's not looking great

Get notified of new replies

To 1990 Corvette VS 2012 Altima coupe 3.5 SR

Old 12-06-2014, 11:09 AM
Philsphan
Racer

My dad had a 91 z28 when I was a kid with the L98 said he always beat mid to late 80s c4s... I don't know how true his claims are lol... He said they would always bang on there steering wheels when they lost because they paid 15-17k more for a car that lost... Maybe his car was a factory freak lol or fact that had map density instead of MAF idk... I never understand why Chevy has always had the same exact v8 powerplant in V8 Camaros as in the corvette since the mid 80s... My dad said chevy was always numb nuts for doing that... It undercuts vette owners kind of
Old 12-06-2014, 11:21 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

My dad had a 91 z28 when I was a kid with the L98 said he always beat mid to late 80s c4s... I don't know how true his claims are lol... He said they would always bang on there steering wheels when they lost because they paid 15-17k more for a car that lost... Maybe his car was a factory freak lol or fact that had map density instead of MAF idk... I never understand why Chevy has always had the same exact v8 powerplant in V8 Camaros as in the corvette since the mid 80s... My dad said chevy was always numb nuts for doing that... It undercuts vette owners kind of
LMAO I'm just picturing someone punching their steering wheel like in an 80's movie and cracking up. Yea he has a point, all the way back to the L98, LT1, LS1, LS3, and I'm sure the new 6th gen Camaro will most likely get the powerplant from the C7's. Maybe it's simply more cost effective for them not to develop a new motor that will probably be damn close to what's in the vettes anyway. I wonder if the new gen ZL1 will get the new LT5 from the new Z06. Should be sick
Old 12-06-2014, 02:59 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bandit's C4
Additionally - the Altima won't reach max HP and torque until 6,000 RPM.
The torque monster C4 will take and keep an early lead thru the lights.
Good point, its almost 100 more torque for the vette

Quick Reply: 1990 Corvette VS 2012 Altima coupe 3.5 SR