Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Radar Detectors

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 10:52 PM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

A Speeder's Guide to Avoiding Tickets: James M. Eagen: Amazon.com: Books A Speeder's Guide to Avoiding Tickets: James M. Eagen: Amazon.com: Books

Highly recommended reading.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:21 PM
eldertek
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Give us a Hint, what are some takeaways?
Old 02-04-2016, 01:56 PM
C4.Ray
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Radar Detectors today are WORTHLESS because of all the CAMERAS AND CELL PHONES.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:20 PM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by eldertek
Give us a Hint, what are some takeaways?
It is a quick, fun read from a veteran law enforcement officer's perspective. I bought it when it was new, 20+ years ago, but most of it still pertains. You can probably find some sample pages online where it's sold.

Radar/Laser detectors can be helpful in certain circumstances. In others, they can guarantee a ticket. But he lays out a complete strategy for their use and other great ideas for improving your odds, both before and after the blue lights come on.

Great to hear The Man talk about the best ways to avoid The Man.

I drive red cars, so it was a must-read.

Last edited by Renfield; 02-04-2016 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:58 PM
C4.Ray
Burning Brakes

Radar Detectors will no longer be sold one day because Video Cameras will be all over America. The Police will be everywhere, and rules will rule America. Picking your nose while driving will set you back a $100 Citation. Whistling or cat calling a woman will get you arrested .... Yes, it will get that bad one day in the near future. Many of you are delusional and in denial because you simply can't handle the truth.

Sorry to be so blunt.

Last edited by C4.Ray; 02-05-2016 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:30 PM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by C4.Ray
Radar Detectors will no longer be sold one day because Video Cameras will be all over America. The Police will be everywhere, and rules will rule America. Picking your nose while driving will set you back a $100 Citation. Whistling or cat calling a woman will get you arrested .... Yes, it will get that bad one day in the near future. Many of you are delusional and in denial because you simply can't handle the truth.

Sorry to be so blunt.
Hi Ray. Thanks for expanding on your earlier post. And for the cool reference to A Few Good Men. Loved that oldie. I see a pattern to your concern.

I agree that we seem to be on a path toward a surveillance society, much like the UK.

But for the time being, some folks still roll with what's actually happening. Now. Today.

Sorry to be so blunt.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:08 PM
DrDyno
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 105 Posts

Sorry to be so blunt.
Delusional?? C'mon Ray, lighten up. By the time this country gets to where you're talking about, cars will be driving themselves. Besides, who do you suppose is going to pay for all the things you're espousing? In my city, St. Petersburg, FL, cameras have already been banned and removed. There is currently legislation pending to have them banned throughout the state of Florida. We the people still get to vote... try to keep that in mind.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:01 AM
TerryOlson
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Do they even still sell radar detectors? Better question, do most law enforcement agencies still use radar? I'm twenty-five years in LE and I'll tell you that we've been using laser for quite a long time now. I bet the same may be said for a strong majority across the country also. By the time the detector goes off, if it does at all, you're already caught and at distances longer than you can spot the cop and slow.

The technology and accuracy are such that there just aren't effective defenses that work in court. Remember, authors sell books in the same way that the guy on the middle-of-the-night infomercial is selling his house flip "system" to make money instead of using his system do it.

Personally, I don't push it beyond the normal flow of traffic. Where I live the first ticket will cost you more than $200 not counting any increase in insurance premiums. Yes, I have to worry about this just like everyone else. In fact, in today's political climate the guy who definitely isn't getting a break is a cop. When I'm driving the Corvette I'm even more careful than usual about this.

Go with the flow on the street and spend that wasted radar/ laser detector money for track day somewhere.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:18 AM
DrDyno
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryOlson
Do they even still sell radar detectors? Better question, do most law enforcement agencies still use radar? I'm twenty-five years in LE and I'll tell you that we've been using laser for quite a long time now. I bet the same may be said for a strong majority across the country also. By the time the detector goes off, if it does at all, you're already caught and at distances longer than you can spot the cop and slow.
For that' we have laser jammers. They send back a null reading and while the LEO is trying to get a better aim on a car so equipped, we slow to the speed limit and turn the jammers off.

I had my first radar detector some 30+ years ago and from then to now, between the radar detectors and laser jammers, I haven't had a ticket in that many years.

Please don't take this post as a boast... God knows, I've been lucky and as the years have gone by, I've slowed to almost legal speeds. My point is: there is ample equipment to protect a knowledgable driver from the latest radars and lasers. What we don't have, of course, is a fool proof way of spotting LEO Aviators timing us between known points.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:58 AM
C4.Ray
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TerryOlson
Do they even still sell radar detectors? Better question, do most law enforcement agencies still use radar? I'm twenty-five years in LE and I'll tell you that we've been using laser for quite a long time now. I bet the same may be said for a strong majority across the country also. By the time the detector goes off, if it does at all, you're already caught and at distances longer than you can spot the cop and slow. The technology and accuracy are such that there just aren't effective defenses that work in court. Remember, authors sell books in the same way that the guy on the middle-of-the-night infomercial is selling his house flip "system" to make money instead of using his system do it. Personally, I don't push it beyond the normal flow of traffic. Where I live the first ticket will cost you more than $200 not counting any increase in insurance premiums. Yes, I have to worry about this just like everyone else. In fact, in today's political climate the guy who definitely isn't getting a break is a cop. When I'm driving the Corvette I'm even more careful than usual about this. Go with the flow on the street and spend that wasted radar/ laser detector money for track day somewhere.
I agree! Speed kills and LE does a good job saving lives lost to speed. Gunning it on the on ramp is ok every now and then ... So many guys here just wanna spend money and get in debt. America has enough laws already. Cameras and cell phones are everywhere! We are not a free country anymore.

Last edited by C4.Ray; 02-06-2016 at 01:59 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:25 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Sorry to be so blunt.
Ppppfffttt......hahahha
Old 02-06-2016, 08:21 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by DrDyno
For that' we have laser jammers. They send back a null reading and while the LEO is trying to get a better aim on a car so equipped, we slow to the speed limit and turn the jammers off.

I had my first radar detector some 30+ years ago and from then to now, between the radar detectors and laser jammers, I haven't had a ticket in that many years.

Please don't take this post as a boast... God knows, I've been lucky and as the years have gone by, I've slowed to almost legal speeds. My point is: there is ample equipment to protect a knowledgable driver from the latest radars and lasers. What we don't have, of course, is a fool proof way of spotting LEO Aviators timing us between known points.
LOL. This is the problem with "speed limits." If a road is posted 35 why would anyone drive any slower than 35? Yet if you drive what amounts to the suggested speed, you are constantly walking a tight rope.

Montana had it right in the 90's. Drive whatever speed is reasonable and prudent. Boy did that PeeOh the feds.

Ultimately, revenue won.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:38 PM
C4.Ray
Burning Brakes

Don't waste your money on Radar Detectors because one day in the very near future they will all cease to exist!
Old 02-07-2016, 08:38 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Don't waste your money on Radar Detectors because one day in the very near future they will all cease to exist!
Lets say I spent money already on a very nice detector. I am holding it in my hand presently. At what point do you think it will cease to exist ??

I want to sell it right before it disappears, that's why I'm asking. So if you could put a date range around your prediction, that would be great. Thanks in advance....
Old 02-07-2016, 02:15 PM
C4.Ray
Burning Brakes

Most of you all are typical of the masses. You refuse to believe the unfortunate truth where our country is headed... Have you noticed that Video Cameras are everywhere? And everybody has a Cell Phone. Speeding will one day cease to exist as the Gov will raise the citations to over $500 and the points will triple for a simple speeding ticket. I know this because I am privy to insider information. Valetine One has suffered for many years and they are n the verge of shutting down. People will buy less and less sport cars because they only good for speeding. We will be a country of small 4 cylinder Japanese cars and big SUVs.

The truth hurts.

Last edited by C4.Ray; 02-07-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:38 PM
Renfield
Drifting

Most of you all are typical of the masses. You refuse to believe the unfortunate truth where our country is headed... Have you noticed that Video Cameras are everywhere? And everybody has a Cell Phone. Speeding will one day cease to exist as the Gov will raise the citations to over $500 and the points will triple for a simple speeding ticket. I know this because I am privy to insider information. Valetine One has suffered for many years and they are n the verge of shutting down. People will buy less and less sport cars because they only good for speeding. We will be a country of small 4 cylinder Japanese cars and big SUVs.

The truth hurts.
I think it's more likely we will go with a system where the fine reflects your income. IIRC, Sweden is already doing this. Gov wants speeders. They depend on the revenue that the rich no longer pay in taxes.

A necessary step when the disparity in income becomes as great as it now is in America.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:00 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

The truth hurts.
I can easily afford 500 per ticket, so I'm not worried. Are you going to tell me when all the detectors are going to disappear or what ???

Get notified of new replies

To Radar Detectors

Old 02-08-2016, 01:13 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

about the "disappear date".

People will buy less and less sport cars because they only good for speeding.
At ^this guy!

Is THAT all sports cars are good for!? No one told me!

In REALITY (a place you might consider exploring), sports cars are great for lots of things....besides "speeding".

BTW "Speed kills" is an out dated, red herring, worthless mode of thinking. It's actually speed differential that causes accidents (whether the ACCIDENT kills or not, is another matter entirely). I believe speed limits in this country have gone UP in the past 30 year or so, while death percentages (and total deaths) have gone DOWN. Speed limits here in UT are 80 now. Are we all "killing ourselves" over here?

Either way, all this rhetoric is WAY outside the realm of this thread. OP wanted to know about radar detector performance...not your personal philosophies about speeding.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 02-08-2016 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:58 PM
73n95
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Isn't interesting how a topic on "what's the best" device spans religion, common sense, politics, morality, law and order, laws of physics, statistics, economics, sensibility, logic and personality traits. Some do and some don't; to some its just a game. Some will and some won't and to some its just the same. Drive safe boys and girls.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:57 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Most of you all are typical of the masses. You refuse to believe the unfortunate truth where our country is headed...
Have you noticed that Video Cameras are everywhere? And everybody has a Cell Phone. Speeding will one day cease to exist as the Gov will raise the citations to over $500 and the points will triple for a simple speeding ticket. I know this because I am privy to insider information. Valetine One has suffered for many years and they are n the verge of shutting down. People will buy less and less sport cars because they only good for speeding. We will be a country of small 4 cylinder Japanese cars and big SUVs.
You're right! But there will be a time in our lives that tracking gizmos plugged into our OBD ports will track our every move, speed and mileage. The mileage part will be first to tax our vehicle usage. Then the rest will fall into place. Until then we can still have fun and I am the first to say my V1 is on all the time no matter which car I'm driving or how fast I'm going. If they can hit me with invisible rays to check my speed, I want the ability to know where they are.

Until the world goes Orwellian, I'm gonna have fun!

Quick Reply: Radar Detectors