C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Updating an 1988 from OBDI to OBDII ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 07:15 PM
SuperL98
Drifting

Received 376 Likes on 253 Posts

Default Updating an 1988 from OBDI to OBDII ???

I have an 1988 auto with the stock MAF 165 running 32b code thats OBDI.
Wondering if anyone ever heard of transplanting any later OBDII systems into earlier cars like mine?
Computer, wiring, sensors, etc. as a unit?
The motivation is OBDII cars are exempt from dyno roller emission testing, in my state. They just do an error scan and pass the car if no trouble codes are posted, and a very loose visual if you know who to go to
The OBDI cars still have to go on the dyno, which is always a nightmare for my lowered Vette
they crushed my oil pan once
and skidded off one side another time

Welding in left/right and after cat oxy sensors would be no problem.
Putting in wiring harness should be easy enough.
Don't know about the computer controlled trans?
Don't know how the dash boards would work together?
Vats systems?

I have a supercharged ZZ4 crate engine with my own 32b tuning right now.

Any idea's?
Thanks
Old 10-18-2005, 10:08 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperL98
I have an 1988 auto with the stock MAF 165 running 32b code thats OBDI.
Wondering if anyone ever heard of transplanting any later OBDII systems into earlier cars like mine?
Computer, wiring, sensors, etc. as a unit?
The motivation is OBDII cars are exempt from dyno roller emission testing, in my state. They just do an error scan and pass the car if no trouble codes are posted, and a very loose visual if you know who to go to
The OBDI cars still have to go on the dyno, which is always a nightmare for my lowered Vette
they crushed my oil pan once
and skidded off one side another time

Welding in left/right and after cat oxy sensors would be no problem.
Putting in wiring harness should be easy enough.
Don't know about the computer controlled trans?
Don't know how the dash boards would work together?
Vats systems?

I have a supercharged ZZ4 crate engine with my own 32b tuning right now.

Any idea's?
Thanks
Actually you could do that. Using the later ZZ4 crate engines with the updated timing cover you can add the 4x GM crank sensor there. Then replace the distributor with a GM vortec truck CAM sensor, and using a 2000/2001 LS1 style PCM you can run the engine with at 350 L31 engine option PCM code. That way you can run ful SEFI with full OBD2 diagnostics and OBD2 capabilities. But you will not have the ability to use any kind of emulation to tune the car with as you can now with a variety of available emulation products such as Moates Auto Prom, and the Romulator 2 used with Tuner Cat RT and Tuner Pro RT. But just to let you in on something, there will be full real time LSx based PCM emulation soon. It is in the works as I type now.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:51 PM
VenkmanP
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Once you did this, at great expense and trouble, you would be subject to the exact same emissions test as you are now.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:24 AM
bumpnzx3
Racer

Location: Edwardsville, Illinois 88 stroked s10, 92 stock 6spd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's true- at least here in illinois- they do whatever test is required for the vehicles VIN. doesn't matter what engine or computer i am using.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:17 PM
SuperL98
Drifting

Received 376 Likes on 253 Posts

Well here in Mass ... it's alittle more sketchy.
The local garages still do the testing, and seam to have some leeway.
For instance my supercharged engine (see sig) has passed the visual for the last 10 years, even though the supercharger replaces the smog pump.
I just show them an old generic CARB document from Paxton and they let it go, as long as it passes the tailpipe test.
The last few times the tester asked me if it had traction control (it doesn't being an 1988) and if it could be turned off. Told him it had posi-traction and he looked at me puzzled and wound up doing a two speed idle test instead of the dyno roller.

What got me thinking about this is that I just had the family mini-van tested, and asked the guy about it. He said he just looks for the generic OBDII connector, and if it has it he plugs his tester in. Maybe the software does some screening for year, but he didn't.

Anyway, going to look at it some more, for other reasons also, like bigger MAF, and better code (I hit the max 254 grams/sec at about 3500 rpm with the 32b code).
Old 10-20-2005, 09:17 PM
gbody5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked out the Turbo Regal Forums? I know there is a popular LT1 MAF and extender chip for the Turbo 6's. I think it gets you over the 255 g/sec barrier. Maybe the same vendor can work something up for V8's, or maybe it's even possible with the tools we have now. I have never looked into it since my GN is still doing fine with the stock MAF and my mods are mild.

Get notified of new replies

To Updating an 1988 from OBDI to OBDII ???

Quick Reply: Updating an 1988 from OBDI to OBDII ???