C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Opti-spark issue/no spark

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 09:16 AM
phxscooby101
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opti-spark issue/no spark

I have a 1992 6 speed with a new 383 everything is new, Dyna opti-spark, msd wires, msd coil and a msd 6a pack. I get very high spark off the coil, but little to nothing to the spark plugs. The result is poor idle and engine dieing after a few minutes. and running rich.

This is the second go around on the motor so tuning was done prior to this install and everything was running great.

Possible problems?? Sensor? loose wire? I would appreciate any help you guys can offer.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:50 AM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wonder if one or more of the wires are bad. Have you tested them? New doesn't alway mean it will work.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:19 AM
phxscooby101
Instructor

Possibly but the 8.5 mm msd have only been used a few hours since they were purchased. I am leaning towards an install problem. Does anyone have the proper diagram of which wires lead to which 1-8 cylinders? or an Opti-spark wiring diagram?

The mechanic is troubleshooting the problem so he's relaying the info to me. I having difficulty believing it's a faulty part since there basicly new.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:43 AM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Using the KISS method I would first check to be sure coil wire is properly seated into the opti. (Power in should equal power out).
Next would be to scan for any codes, a new opti can be bad.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:44 AM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by phxscooby101
Does anyone have the proper diagram of which wires lead to which 1-8 cylinders? or an Opti-spark wiring diagram?
L R
4 5
6 3
8 7
2 1
Old 05-29-2006, 11:47 AM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

Have you checked spark quality at the end of more than one plug wire? If not, I'd recommend it.

If you're getting strong spark from the coil, but weak spark to all of the plugs, there's almost surely something wrong in the distributor.

No faulty sensor would interfere with the transfer of spark from the coil to the plug wires.

You should still have strong spark, even if you have some plug wires crossed up at the dizzy. It'll come to the wrong plug at the wrong time, but it should still be strong.

The only problems I've heard about associated with infant mortality of a Dynaspark distributor have all been related to incorrect installation or problems associated with camsaft end-play, cam gear height, timing chain issues, etc.

Be well,

SJW
Old 05-29-2006, 01:55 PM
phxscooby101
Instructor

I will check more than one spark plug to see if the problem is occuring on more than one wire.

Will failure of the high voltage side of the rotor cause codes?

Since dynaspark was sold to msd will they fix it under warranty? And costs if they do not? Thanks for the replys.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:42 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Ignition module... check the harness to that. They have a tendency to mechanically fail.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:47 PM
phxscooby101
Instructor

Bogus: Where is the ignition module located and how do you check the harness? Thanks

I just don't understand how the opti has changed or failed, since the last time it was in the motor.

The lifter failed on the original engine and the engine had to be completely disassmbled with replacement of all lifters and a new cam/ same specs.
All was done under the builders warranty and dyno tuning/ecu was done at a reputable place locally.
Everything on the engine is new 383 LT4 forged billet splayed main caps,forged pistons,forged rods,type r lifters, afr 195 cc cnc heads, electric water pump, new opti, new coil with a msd 6a,alumin flywheel and upgraded clutch. Long tube headers 3in all the way back. Upgraded fuel pump, adjustable fuel reg, bigger injectors,Nascar damper, 58mm throttle body, all is ported to match.

How sensitive is the opti spark?? it was left on the engine during transport to the engine builders shop. But still I don't think it would fail from this? More troubleshooting is in order Thanks
Old 05-29-2006, 06:41 PM
DTE Powertrain
Collections Hold

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I will check more than one spark plug to see if the problem is occuring on more than one wire.

Since dynaspark was sold to msd will they fix it under warranty? And costs if they do not? Thanks for the replys.
The Dynaspark Distributor product line was *NOT* sold to MSD or any other ignition company and we have no idea where this miss-information came from. It was sold to another private party group locally and their new business name is www.dynaspark.net.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:47 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Bogus: Where is the ignition module located and how do you check the harness? Thanks
Under the coil, but since you are getting spark (I missed that the first time, sorry) it more than likely isn't the ignition module.

I just don't understand how the opti has changed or failed, since the last time it was in the motor.
I don't feel it has either. The opti, in this case, is simply a transfer switch.

How sensitive is the opti spark?? it was left on the engine during transport to the engine builders shop. But still I don't think it would fail from this? More troubleshooting is in order Thanks
not that sensitive.

my biggest concern is that it was misinstalled, meaning the opti is 180* out... or the wires are hosed (installation problem or what not).
Old 05-29-2006, 06:48 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DynoTech Engineering
The Dynaspark Distributor product line was *NOT* sold to MSD or any other ignition company and we have no idea where this miss-information came from. It was sold to another private party group locally and their new business name is www.dynaspark.net.
sounds like confusion...

great diagnostic help, too.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:57 PM
phxscooby101
Instructor

Q: The Opti has to be installed at tdc correct? Also when testing the spark at the plug it should still spark regardless of position meaning if it was installed incorrectly, you should still get a spark?

Dynotech: Can you give some troubleshooting advice regarding the matter? Thanks
Old 05-29-2006, 07:02 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Q: The Opti has to be installed at tdc correct?
No, as long as the timing gears are installed correctly. The opti just needs to be properly aligned with the camshaft's dowel pin (95/96) or opti splined shaft (92/94).

Last edited by STL94LT1; 05-29-2006 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:13 PM
phxscooby101
Instructor

Ahhh thanks I was thinking that, well that doesn't leave much room to mess up installation since the builder had the engine apart and re-aligned the new cam with the crank etc..... other than a possible bad wire to the opti from the coil or maybe a loose connection.

Q: Can the gap on the spark plug cause a bad spark, too large or too small. They were all replaced on the re-build.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:01 AM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

No.

Optical side failures will set codes. Code 16 for a low-resolution sensor failure, Code 36 for a high-resolution sensor failure.

Be well,

SJW
Old 05-30-2006, 01:37 AM
bogus
Team Owner

I would think if the rotor is broken, you would get nothing... just my thought.

Get notified of new replies

To Opti-spark issue/no spark

Old 05-30-2006, 09:06 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

It is possible to mess up the alignment of the shaft on the opti. I have never done it but the engine probably would not run at all. I have seen other posts from people who have and could not get it stared. As far a being one tooth off, that might be a gray area. When you say that you have a high spark, it's a tough thing to measure that. But you should pull about a 1 inch ark that would be nice and white. I have seen the coil wire ark right to the water pump on top of the opti. Very close tolerances there and if the insulation on the coil wire is not perfect it will ark. Just some thoughts, best of luck.

When you install an opti and line up the shaft and insert it on the engine, it almost falls on by itself with a tink as the surfaces contacts. No pressure is ever needed. Just in case you have to go there.

Last edited by pcolt94; 05-30-2006 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:28 PM
phxscooby101
Instructor

Update: The mech said the car ran just fine for about 5 to 10 minutes then the spark just disappeared and wouldn't come back until it (cooled) we think. He said the second time he pulled the spark plug and the car started up on 7 cylinders and the spark was great then just died, with very little spark at the plug.

Q: He wanted to double check the proper routing for the vaccum lines, so could you guys help there? Also would this cause this type of problem.

Q: Each time the car was started after it was cooled the spark at the plugs were good. Could the MSD 6a casue this or the new MSD coil?

Personally I think it is a loose wire to the high voltage side of the system, but I'm not sure. Also there were no check engine lights.Thanks
Old 05-30-2006, 08:42 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Disconnect the 6A box (at the coil plug in) and run the factory ignition, its simple to unplug one and use the other.

Quick Reply: Opti-spark issue/no spark