C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Turn Signal Flasher Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 08:49 PM
jgmarchin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turn Signal Flasher Problem

Put LED bulbs in the rear for all four brake lights and replaced the OEM flasher with the electronic flasher that was recommended by the vendor. These are LED replacement type bulbs only, not the entire brake light lens type. The electronic flasher has the third wire for ground.

Problem, the electronic flasher continuously runs even with the turn signal lever in the "off" position.

Remove the ground wire and nothing works. Put back the original flasher and incandescent bulbs and all is normal.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 01-14-2010, 09:57 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Well, I see your car is a `96 & I have a `87, but my original flasher & replacement flasher only have two terminals not three. What does your original have??
Old 01-14-2010, 11:41 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

They make heavy duty two terminal flashers that do not work on the lamp current like normal flashers do. Get one of these and you can put your LED tail lights back in.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:43 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jfb
They make heavy duty two terminal flashers that do not work on the lamp current like normal flashers do. Get one of these and you can put your LED tail lights back in.
Maybe the flasher you bought can be plugged in with the wrong terminal that requires grounding sticking out. Read the instructions carefully.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:23 AM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I had a different problem. I bought the sidemarkers LED lights from Corvette HID and now the dash board turn signals are half-way lit. I contact the vendor and he said "they" are working on it because there are other customer with the same problem. I got a second PM telling me that he is no longer a CF supporting vendor because the fees are too high.

My friend, we are fscreweducked.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:32 AM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by PLRX
I had a different problem. I bought the sidemarkers LED lights from Corvette HID and now the dash board turn signals are half-way lit. I contact the vendor and he said "they" are working on it because there are other customer with the same problem. I got a second PM telling me that he is no longer a CF supporting vendor because the fees are too high.

CRAP!!
Old 01-15-2010, 11:22 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

As JFB said, a normal directional system works on current and the design of matching the flasher to the bulbs currents as a design criteria.

It sounds like the initial design and picking of the replacement parts (LEDs and flasher) are not a compatible to work together. Sounds like it is a design problem provided it is all connected correctly and from how you describe, you can’t deviate to far from the correct path. And since you tried it all ways, it might be a no win situation for the new parts.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:51 PM
jgmarchin
Instructor

Default Heavy Duty Flasher

Tried what jfb suggested and that fixed the problem. I used a NAPA EL-12 electronic 2 blade flasher and that worked.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:45 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by PLRX

I thought I was imagining that both dashboard turn signals are half way lite! Only noticed it at night and thought it was always like that.

The turn signal flasher with the ground wire Yosi supplied did work for me but I replaced the hazard flasher with the two prong (no ground) flasher when I converted the fronts. Maybe the one he sent you was defective?
Old 01-19-2010, 09:08 PM
jgmarchin
Instructor

No, I thought of that and he sent me another. They both did the exact same thing.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:55 AM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by jgmarchin
No, I thought of that and he sent me another. They both did the exact same thing.
I ordered the sidemarkers from CHID and there is something wrong with them. They looked awesome but he could not find the problem and refunded the money. Yesterday while I was installing the new HID headlight I found out the front parking lights were not working. I have to install the old ones back on.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:04 PM
Adamarc2!
4th Gear

my 94 has the same problem...the e flasher they sent me with the led tail lights never stops clicking when the key is on, i also had a problem with the message center chiming and the only solution was to install the load resistors on each side. i am waiting for their tech support for an answer to this problem but will try the heavy duty flasher idea next. thanks, Adamarc2!
Old 04-08-2014, 10:05 PM
Adamarc2!
4th Gear

Default turn flasher problem

Originally Posted by jgmarchin
Put LED bulbs in the rear for all four brake lights and replaced the OEM flasher with the electronic flasher that was recommended by the vendor. These are LED replacement type bulbs only, not the entire brake light lens type. The electronic flasher has the third wire for ground.

Problem, the electronic flasher continuously runs even with the turn signal lever in the "off" position.

Remove the ground wire and nothing works. Put back the original flasher and incandescent bulbs and all is normal.

Anyone have any suggestions?
well...problem finally solved...no more turn signal flasher clicking even when the signals were turned off. I went to advanced auto and bought a heavy duty flasher for $12.99..model EL12 made by Novita and the problem went away. I own a 94 corvette standard and when installing the led tail lights (united pacific) and their own electronic flasher..i experienced the flasher still clicking even though the signals were turned off, and the ignition was on. Also my informatione systm was chiming telling me i had a blown out light...not so. The fix for the chiming was to install the load resistors in the taikl light assembly,one on each side. And, of course, the heavy duty flasher solved the turn signal flasher problem. I am now a very happy C4 owner. Adamarc2!

Get notified of new replies

To Turn Signal Flasher Problem

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Flasher Problem