C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

MAF Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 04:42 PM
aj1988
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default MAF Question

Yesterday while driving the car in the somewhat warm Texas sun the car suddenly started acting strange. Press down on the gas and it felt like someone put a large rope on the back of the car. Very gentle pressure on the gas and the car would slowly accelerate. I also noticed the SES light on.

Had to stop for gas and after I got back on the road the car ran normal and the SES light was off. Did the paperclip check and found a '33'. So by the book it is a MAF related problem.

My question is what is the 'normal' life span on an original MAF?

I have had similar problems in the past that didn't throw a code but felt exactly the same way. Also, the car will not spin the tires from a standing start and will occationally 'backfire' when you step on the gas. If you really stand on the gas at a stop there is a slight hesitation and then the car pulls OK. The 'backfire' seems to occur if you are going around 40 and try to accelerate. Slight hesitation, backfire, and then the car goes.

I have done several searches and not found anything that seems to match the problem. Could be my outstanding search abilities

Thanks in advance.

Jon
Old 07-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

can you check your fuel pressure? I have a similar issue, i believe it to be fuel related because my car is running lean and only getting 38 psi of fuel pressure at WOT
Old 07-27-2010, 04:52 PM
aj1988
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I replaced the fuel pump a year ago April 2. Drove the car from the KC area to Dallas and the next morning the car would not start and no sound when I turned the key. Picked up a new pump and an hour later the car started just fine.

And the problem did exist before the pump went bad.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:04 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

The symptoms are consistent with a "limp home" mode that the ECM kicks in when it has a serious issue, like the MAF failing. It is possible for a code SES light to not be thrown up, which would just be a glitch.

You need to go through the procedures in the manual to diagnose code 33, if it comes back that you must replace the sensor itself, always replace the two relays as well. They are on the firewall behind the battery.

http://members.shaw.ca/corvette86/Code%2033.pdf

Get notified of new replies

To MAF Question

Quick Reply: MAF Question