C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How do I turn off car alarm

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Botei
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I turn off car alarm

I just purchased a use 86 C4 vet. I don't know how to turn off what I think is the factory alarm. I think what I did was use the key to unlock the driver door & set off the alarm. It started okay but the only way to get the alarm off was to disconnect the battery. Looking for simple solution.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:11 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You posted in the Help section. This section is used for Help with the website (forum account issues, forum issues, website issues, etc). You will receive a better response if you post Corvette specific content in the most appropriate Corvette section.

I've moved your thread to the most appropriate section.

Good luck!
Old 09-17-2010, 06:21 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Botei
I just purchased a use 86 C4 vet. I don't know how to turn off what I think is the factory alarm. I think what I did was use the key to unlock the driver door & set off the alarm. It started okay but the only way to get the alarm off was to disconnect the battery. Looking for simple solution.
Unplug the horns. Then search the issue causing it. You may hear the relay clicking. It sounds like a VATS issue. Research VATS.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:08 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if 88 is the same the system is armed when either the pass or driver uses the electric locks to lock the doors, the only way to turn off the alarm is by putting the key in the door lock and unlocking it. that is according to the 88 owners manual
Old 09-18-2010, 09:25 AM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

My 87 is the same way.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:20 AM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

hooked073 is correct. I suspect your problem is that the switch in the door lock cylinder on the driver side that connects to the UTDS has failed. It gets way more use then the passenger side. To test, arm the system as hooked073 described, close both doors and try using the key to unlock the passenger side door. Open the door (alarm should not sound as it is now disarmed) and unlock the driver door either with the power switch or reach in and use the manual slider. Then open the driver side door. If all is well, it is most likely the switch attached the the driver side door lock cylinder. The panel will need to come off, but in the mean time you can continue to disarm by using the key to unlock the passenger side door.

BADDUCK, the VATS and UTDS are two separate systems. This is why the car started. VATS would not have allowed the car to start. He would have been able to happily drive down the road with the horns blaring if he wanted.

BTW UTDS is Universal Theft Deterrent System in GM speak.

Last edited by Ray Quayle; 09-18-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Ant1981
Instructor

As Ray said, try unlocking it from the passenger side. I had this issue on mine, so never arm the alarm now.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:27 AM
nutz4c4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Ray Quayle
hooked073 is correct. I suspect your problem is that the switch in the door lock cylinder on the driver side that connects to the UTDS has failed. It gets way more use then the passenger side. To test, arm the system as hooked073 described, close both doors and try using the key to unlock the passenger side door. Open the door (alarm should not sound as it is now disarmed) and unlock the driver door either with the power switch or reach in and use the manual slider. Then open the driver side door. If all is well, it is most likely the switch attached the the driver side door lock cylinder. The panel will need to come off, but in the mean time you can continue to disarm by using the key to unlock the passenger side door.

BADDUCK, the VATS and UTDS are two separate systems. This is why the car started. VATS would not have allowed the car to start. He would have been able to happily drive down the road with the horns blaring if he wanted.

Gotta go with Ray It is the switch on the lock cylinder or the GREEN wire running to it is disconnected or broken
Old 09-18-2010, 06:26 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Here is the info from my 86 FSM, first part is the Forced Entry Alarm, second part is VATS.

http://members.shaw.ca/dankai/Vats%20Electrical.pdf
Old 09-18-2010, 09:24 PM
Botei
Cruising

I had to LOL with the wire diagram. This looks like our large storage arrays. XP or Hitachi stagmastor storage.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:38 PM
Botei
Cruising

Thank you. I have read some articals already. Some are to LOL at & just enjoy. I saw my dream vette, it's a 67, red in Mt. Pleasant Tex.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:11 AM
Ruffis
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by Ray Quayle

Glad you guys had this topic on here! It just helped me with one of my Corvettes tonight!

Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To How do I turn off car alarm

Quick Reply: How do I turn off car alarm