C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Are scorpion rocker arms good?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 11:38 AM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Are scorpion rocker arms good?

I am asking about these: Scorpion SBC SELF ALIGNING Rocker Arms 1.6 3/8 #6036 for a stock LT1 engine. Anyone familiar with them?
Old 12-09-2010, 02:48 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 399 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by aminnich
I am asking about these: Scorpion SBC SELF ALIGNING Rocker Arms 1.6 3/8 #6036 for a stock LT1 engine. Anyone familiar with them?

I am familiar with most all of Scorpion's rocker arms. They make a quality product and they make it here.

Putting aside all the Hot Rod/Car Craft/ect advertising hype you'll see from a major cam grinder - Scorpion's rocker arms have proven to be as good or better than any stud mount rocker that you can buy from anyone. Not may folks know, but Scorpion private lables rocker arms for ISKY and Howards cams, as well as many racing engine builders across the country.

That particular #6036 rocker set is a bolt on deal for Vortec, LT1 and some LT4 cyl heads. They are intended for hyd flat tappet and hyd roller spring pressures (up to 400ish LBS open) and RPM (6500RPM max). The rocker body and trunion are narrow so they clear center bolt rocker covers fine.

They will fit your LT1 - but you should upgrade the valve springs for the extra lift that the 1.6 ratio provides. You will also have to cut the drip tabs out of your stock rocker covers.
Will
Old 12-09-2010, 04:31 PM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Thanks Will. I am starting to accululate some parts for an engine overhaul, probably next year. I have a good source for the scorpions right now. I will probably also go with a mild cam upgrade as well when the time comes. Any recommendations on the springs?

ps-Didn't you buy a set of used (and slightly bent) Corsa's from me a few years ago?

Last edited by aminnich; 12-09-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:24 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my Scorpions that came under the Summit label.

I'm digging more and more on Howards stuff, Scorpion rockers and Morel lifters. Great prices too.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:55 AM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 399 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by aminnich
Thanks Will. I am starting to accululate some parts for an engine overhaul, probably next year. I have a good source for the scorpions right now. I will probably also go with a mild cam upgrade as well when the time comes. Any recommendations on the springs?

ps-Didn't you buy a set of used (and slightly bent) Corsa's from me a few years ago?
Yes, I sold you the Corsa's.

Did you ever get them on the car?

On the valve springs. I can't make a good recomendation off hand. It really depends on the cam you decide to run.

Will
Old 12-10-2010, 09:44 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by USAsOnlyWay
I have the same and like them as well.

To the OP: Definetly upgrade the springs at the same time. I believe I paid around $50 for LT4 springs.

1.6RR + Springs = a more rev happy stock LT1.
Great mod for a small investment.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:41 AM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by USAsOnlyWay
I've got a couple sets of the narrow body non - self aligning rockers (both the Summit & Scorpions) the Summit version is identical except the rocker size (1.5-1.6) stamping is different "font". Both sets work fine. I've got a little less than 10K miles on the Summit set with no rocker problems to report thus far....just pulled the covers the other day to inspect them.

I bought the new Scorpion set off of flEaBAY vendor and they were shipped straight from the Scorpion factory to my residence....saved me like $40 off the best retail pricing I could find.

I have not tried the self aligning versions of this brand but how different could they really be.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm very pleased with the Scorpion 1.7s I have. Quality parts for sure! I've wound them out to at least 6500 and still doing great. At the time I bought them (Aug) Flatlander Racing had the best prices I could find.

Get notified of new replies

To Are scorpion rocker arms good?

Quick Reply: Are scorpion rocker arms good?