C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Pke

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 07:21 PM
Dr_Shakalu
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Pke

I have a 1996 and was wondering do all C4's have them? Would there be a code on the VIN. I searched and the people with PKE's had a PKE fob but all I have is the ignition key with chip. I'm going to add an aftermarket alarm and want to know if my car has PKE. Thanks in advance, Ed
Old 07-04-2011, 08:21 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Your car did have the PKE (Passive Keyless Entry) system when it left the factory.
This was standard on all '93-'96 Corvettes.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:01 PM
Dr_Shakalu
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What functions does it have and is it worth it to buy the fob and how much is it. Also, I've heard that you have to dis-connect it to put in a aftermarket alarm. What does the tech have to do?

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4
Your car did have the PKE (Passive Keyless Entry) system when it left the factory.
This was standard on all '93-'96 Corvettes.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:35 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

I like the PKE and would never recommend an aftermarket. However a few quick checks to help you make a decision.

Before you go out and buy a FOB for $75-$150, check this one item. In the lower left hand area of your DIP light panel there is a PKE light. When you turn you key to ON, the light should light for 2 seconds. If it does light the PKE receiver in the car is probably working.

Going to the next step if the PKE light comes on is trying the programming mode. I know if you don’t have a key FOB but you can go about half way right up to the point where the receiver identifies and programs in the FOB. If you get that far there is a good chance the receiver is good and might be worth while getting (or trying) a FOB.

On the other hand if the PKE light does not light on the DIP when the key is turned to ON, then the PKE receiver in the car is usually bad. Although this is a quick assumption, it usually turns out to be correct.

If the receiver is bad, costs about $100-$200 for a (used) receiver and the dash pad needs to be removed which is a pretty good 2 day job for most people.

I would find out what my car status is and then you can make a better decision in what direction you want to go.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:39 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

The factory system locks and unlocks the doors when you approach and walk away from the car. This also engages the factory alarm. It is not a typical system, you cannot press buttons to lock and unlock the doors. Read the owners manual to understand how it works. A replacement fob will cost you about $130. Before you buy one go through the programming sequence in the owners manual and make sure everything works up until you need the fob. If it does, you may want to buy a new fob. If it doesn't, it will cost a lot to replace the interior parts to make the factory system function like new. Some people really dislike the way the factory system works, I thinks it is fine.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Mrs. glass car
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your factory PKE is working as intended don't switch. It is a great system but you must read the owners manual to learn all of it's features. I wish all of my cars had it.

Get notified of new replies

To Pke

Quick Reply: Pke