C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

dealers broke shift fork during clutch change - common?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 08:15 PM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Default dealers broke shift fork during clutch change - common?

GM dealer that is changing clutch says the clutch fork where it bolts to bellhousing froze and broke off during r and r . Is this common, now I am told I need a new bellhousing and fork.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:27 PM
derekguzz
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Either that or they didn't know the bolt holding the fork to the housing is reversed threaded and snapped the bolt. Ask to see the damage
Old 10-20-2011, 08:34 PM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

I don't doubt that they broke it because of lack of knowledge, what am I to do but take it. So if anyone can help with parts I would appreciate it.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:45 PM
derekguzz
Melting Slicks

all your going to need is a new clutch fork and a bell housing. Make take you a little bit to find them USED..new might be hard to find a a bit of moola as far as the bell housing. If you have never seen either of these items, the bell housing is just a big tin or aluminum drum kinda. and the Clutch fork is like a LARGE 2 finger fork. The fork overlaps the center hole in the bell housing and uses a bolt that is bolted to it.

I would try ebay, the CF used parts for sale, amazon.comJunk yards maybe...Heck, if they broke it, make them pay for it.

CLUTCH FORK
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=corve...1t:429,r:9,s:0

BELL HOUSING
http://allworldautomotive.com/view_C...oto_34230.html
Old 10-20-2011, 08:47 PM
derekguzz
Melting Slicks

Don't take it.. The bolt should NOT snap off. It can if you unscrew it the wrong way, you would snap it in half.

I am sure it has hapend, just like anything in this world. They are going to fight and say its your fault because your car is old, and there wouldn't be much proof if it is there fault, but for sure they messed up
Old 10-20-2011, 09:16 PM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ask for the old bolt. You will probably be able to tell whether it broke from being turned the wrong way.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:16 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette95
I don't doubt that they broke it because of lack of knowledge, what am I to do but take it. So if anyone can help with parts I would appreciate it.
..... The last '95 vette they worked on was in '96 ... what makes you think the stealership knows anything about fifteen year old cars ?? .........
Old 10-21-2011, 08:34 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Impact gun mentality trying to beat flat rate broke it... Along with I hate working on old Corvette to add insult to injury.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:07 AM
93VettePilot
Pro

I would give them the number to a couple of corvette salvage yards and tell them to fix their mistake. I've had my ZF6 out laying on my back in my garage twice and never broke a bellhousing. Tell them that its their mistake so fix it.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:30 AM
TJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by corvette95
GM dealer that is changing clutch says the clutch fork where it bolts to bellhousing froze and broke off during r and r . Is this common, now I am told I need a new bellhousing and fork.
#1 demand damaged parts. No parts they pay. Threaten to sue if they get belligerent.

#2 Demand copy of FSM procedure. My guess they don't have it on hand.

1989 FMS says DON'T TOUCH THE BOLT.

They have the most bizarre directions to turn the Bell Housing. It actually works [ I touch the bolt].

The threat to sue is a valid one. It costs few bucks to file papers, easy forms. most on-line in most states.

Their CEO or whom ever holds the Corporate papers will not have any trouble telling "Buck" to fix the car.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:26 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TJM
#1 demand damaged parts. No parts they pay. Threaten to sue if they get belligerent.

#2 Demand copy of FSM procedure. My guess they don't have it on hand.

1989 FMS says DON'T TOUCH THE BOLT.

They have the most bizarre directions to turn the Bell Housing. It actually works [ I touch the bolt].

The threat to sue is a valid one. It costs few bucks to file papers, easy forms. most on-line in most states.

Their CEO or whom ever holds the Corporate papers will not have any trouble telling "Buck" to fix the car.
And suppose he sticks to his guns. he really has nothing to loose he pullls the car off the rack puts it in the back lot till the case is solved. And depending on the courts might be a year or so. Everyone is jumping with out any facts at all. Shi# brakes esp on 15 year old cars. You guys are going to jump to sueing I do not get it.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:43 PM
MK 82
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C409
..... The last '95 vette they worked on was in '96 ... what makes you think the stealership knows anything about fifteen year old cars ?? .........
I know this doesn't help you but that is why I don't take old cars to dealerships.

Stand your ground and make them fix it. File a claim in small claims court. When they get the subpoena their tune will change.

Eddie
Old 10-21-2011, 12:45 PM
MK 82
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by hooked073
And suppose he sticks to his guns. he really has nothing to loose he pullls the car off the rack puts it in the back lot till the case is solved. And depending on the courts might be a year or so. Everyone is jumping with out any facts at all. Shi# brakes esp on 15 year old cars. You guys are going to jump to sueing I do not get it.
If they pull that you pay them under duress and then sue. Remind me not to hire you for legal advice

Just changed the clutch on my 96 without problem.

Post their name here unless they are a vendor. If that is the case don't waste your time.

Last edited by MK 82; 10-21-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:17 PM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MK 82
Post their name here unless they are a vendor. If that is the case don't waste your time.
- good one.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:28 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

If they pull that you pay them under duress and then sue. Remind me not to hire you for legal advice

I thought only India had sacred cows.. sigh.. right is right and wrong is wrong and let the chips fall where they do vendor or not. The customer always should be treated fairly and honestly and companies do change hands at times.... If paying for an AD here is a free pass to never be critised for doing wrong it becomes a reason to never do business with them for me..... I would rather do business with a company accountable for actions in a public forum. If money buys a free pass to do whatyou want it ceases to be a public forum and turns into a good old guys club..
Dave
Old 10-21-2011, 03:42 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

I was not giving legal advice. Just amazied how everyone jumps to sueing with no information. And look at you you want to post a name on a public site that could effect someones bussiness with no facts at all. Maybe you should have thought about a Defamation or slander law suit. It is no wonder prices and things are the way they are today everybody wants to sue sue sue...
Old 10-21-2011, 03:46 PM
DanZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Does the bellhousing really need to be replaced? Can't the bolt be extracted? Might be cheaper to have a machine shop repair the bellhousing.

And yes, unless the dealer has a Corvette tech that worked back in the day and is slightly familiar with the C4 quirks I'd be VERY reluctant to take to a flat rate shop.

Get notified of new replies

To dealers broke shift fork during clutch change - common?

Old 10-21-2011, 05:15 PM
MK 82
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
I thought only India had sacred cows.. sigh.. right is right and wrong is wrong and let the chips fall where they do vendor or not. The customer always should be treated fairly and honestly and companies do change hands at times.... If paying for an AD here is a free pass to never be critised for doing wrong it becomes a reason to never do business with them for me..... I would rather do business with a company accountable for actions in a public forum. If money buys a free pass to do whatyou want it ceases to be a public forum and turns into a good old guys club..
Dave
I am with you 100% but this site is run for profit.

To hooked: If negotiation fails, suing may be your last move outside of a baseball bat below the knee. Posting their name might make them bargain in good faith.

Last edited by MK 82; 10-21-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:18 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
Dave
A quick way to earn yourself a vacation is to say something disparaging about a forum vendor.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:37 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

I am with you 100% but this site is run for profit.

To hooked: If negotiation fails, suing may be your last move outside of a baseball bat below the knee. Posting their name might make them bargain in good faith.
But how do you know they are not is the million dollar question. They may well be stright upfront and honest. That is what bothers me, most assume shops are always ripping you off, if something goes bad it is their fault. Like I said thats the problem today, why is it so hard to accept shi# happens. It is no ones fault and go on with life. Has the Op even talked to the shop in detail? Has he seen the broken parts. Is the shop trying to work with the OP? a lot of unanswered questions. Just don't think others things happen when you are doing repairs.

Quick Reply: dealers broke shift fork during clutch change - common?