C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

dealers broke shift fork during clutch change - common?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 06:06 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by TJM
#1 demand damaged parts. No parts they pay. Threaten to sue if they get belligerent.

#2 Demand copy of FSM procedure. My guess they don't have it on hand.
You have a right to have all of the old used or broken parts returned to you unless there is a core charge for the replaced part. With a clutch fork, it would not be an issue.

The dealer will have a copy of the R&R procedure. They may not have a hardcover FSM, but the repair procedure will be online, either from a GM computer network for repair procedures or from Alldata. I have used Alldata a number of times to reference information for my '87 and the Alldata pages are exactly the same as the 87 FSM.

I would start by asking to speak to the dealership Service Manager and have him provide detailed information on the problem. Ask him if the repair procedure was followed as outlined in the FSM (if you can find a copy, bring it along!)

If that doesn't provide any resolution, definitely contact the GM Regional Office and ask that somebody contact the dealership's service manager. Tell the service manager you intend to do just that and you expect a reply from the GM office. Be direct, but be courteous and professional. Follow up all conversations with emails and request that you be advised of all conversations between GM and the dealership.

If you drove the car in there to get the clutch replaced, that means the fork and bellhousing were in operating condition when the car was turned over to them. If a tech broke it, it should be his responsibility to replace the items, if not the dealer.

Last edited by c4cruiser; 10-21-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:17 PM
MK 82
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree. The dealership is bluffing and alienating a customer.

Eddie

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
You have a right to have all of the old used or broken parts returned to you unless there is a core charge for the replaced part. With a clutch fork, it would not be an issue.

The dealer will have a copy of the R&R procedure. They may not have a hardcover FSM, but the repair procedure will be online, either from a GM computer network for repair procedures or from Alldata. I have used Alldata a number of times to reference information for my '87 and the Alldata pages are exactly the same as the 87 FSM.

I would start by asking to speak to the dealership Service Manager and have him provide detailed information on the problem. Ask him if the repair procedure was followed as outlined in the FSM (if you can find a copy, bring it along!)

If that doesn't provide any resolution, definitely contact the GM Regional Office and ask that somebody contact the dealership's service manager. Tell the service manager you intend to do just that and you expect a reply from the GM office. Be direct, but be courteous and professional. Follow up all conversations with emails and request that you be advised of all conversations between GM and the dealership.

If you drove the car in there to get the clutch replaced, that means the fork and bellhousing were in operating condition when the car was turned over to them. If a tech broke it, it should be his responsibility to replace the items, if not the dealer.

Quick Reply: dealers broke shift fork during clutch change - common?