C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Bose Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 04:49 PM
neelas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose Help

1990 orig. bose head unit and speaker/amps. I was out crusin listening to the radio, and then the god awful screech tornado warning sound seamed to be coming fron the right rear speaker. Does this sound like the amp has gone bad.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:59 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by neelas
1990 orig. bose head unit and speaker/amps. I was out crusin listening to the radio, and then the god awful screech tornado warning sound seamed to be coming fron the right rear speaker. Does this sound like the amp has gone bad.
VERY HIGHLY LIKELY. Any feedback/screeching noise is normally a problem in the amps. to find the amp causing it....disconnect the amps one at a a time with the radio on and see when the noise stops. I have had all four amps be bad before.

DUB
Old 10-18-2014, 09:28 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Those problems are usually caused by bad electrolytic capacitors in the amps. You can send the amps in for repair ($70-80) of which I have 2 reliable Bose shops. Or if you can solder properly and do some routine printed circuit board work you can repair it yourself. For usually under $10 you can buy the parts and I can supply you with documentation, schematics and links if you want to go that route.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:48 PM
gtp'n
Burning Brakes

I have had this issue twice. Both times it was a different speaker. I was able to take the speaker and amp apart and blow everything out with compressed air and then put everything back together. Problem solved. I know this is just temporary but I am playing with the idea of replacing the whole system. This fix lasted all summer and is still working.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:14 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by gtp'n
I have had this issue twice. Both times it was a different speaker. I was able to take the speaker and amp apart and blow everything out with compressed air and then put everything back together. Problem solved. I know this is just temporary but I am playing with the idea of replacing the whole system. This fix lasted all summer and is still working.
I hope it keeps working out for you. The factory system is very good.

I dread it when a customer want me to rip out the factory system and put in something aftermarket. I prefer NOT to do that....and repairing may aftermarket systems that were installed due to it was installed very poorly. I have seen my fair share of butchered Corvettes when someone who gets in there does not either CARE...or know what they are doing.

SO...if you plan on changing it out...I hope you can do it yourself.

DUB
Old 10-20-2014, 09:07 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Aside from that normal capacitor problems that many know about there is another problem that has less visibility. On the surface of the printed board after time and moisture, a fungus grows. It can be seen as green with a good magnifier. These make high resistance contacts with parts that should not have any contact and thus cause many strange symptoms. Some professionals remove many parts to clean the board. I have found success with alcohol and a brush and blow it off with clean air.

I guess your compressed air seemed to do the trick. Can't argue with success..
Old 10-22-2014, 04:13 PM
gtp'n
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DUB
I hope it keeps working out for you. The factory system is very good.

I dread it when a customer want me to rip out the factory system and put in something aftermarket. I prefer NOT to do that....and repairing may aftermarket systems that were installed due to it was installed very poorly. I have seen my fair share of butchered Corvettes when someone who gets in there does not either CARE...or know what they are doing.

SO...if you plan on changing it out...I hope you can do it yourself.

DUB
The plan is to do the install myself. The issue I have is that I can not make up my mind on what I want. I am thinking a double din touchscreen model( I like the look) then have that feed a small 4 channel amp. (alpine and clarion make one) Then replace the front speakers with 6.5 two ways and replace the rears with 6x9's. I figure this setup is about a grand. I am not sure that I want to spend the money to do the upgrade on a system that already works. If the system were to die completely that would make my decision easier.

Right now I am mostly using one of those old tape to headphone things so I can stream Pandora and listen to music on my phone.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:11 PM
DUB
Race Director

Just be aware...that I myself...if I had to...would try to keep the factory Bose speaker boxes and get the new speakers to fit...which in many cases will require the amps to be removed if any serious cutting is needed....and also the depth of the speaker can come into play when you go to put the speaker grille cover back on.

Hope you come to a decision that is to your liking. I myself.,..the older I get...do not put a lot of importance on the sound quality of the stereo in what I drive...mainly because I am focusing on driving....in my younger days...it was something entirely different....and the sound quality in my house is where I am picky....when I am relaxing. But that is just me.

DUB
Old 10-23-2014, 10:11 AM
gtp'n
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DUB
Just be aware...that I myself...if I had to...would try to keep the factory Bose speaker boxes and get the new speakers to fit...which in many cases will require the amps to be removed if any serious cutting is needed....and also the depth of the speaker can come into play when you go to put the speaker grille cover back on.

Hope you come to a decision that is to your liking. I myself.,..the older I get...do not put a lot of importance on the sound quality of the stereo in what I drive...mainly because I am focusing on driving....in my younger days...it was something entirely different....and the sound quality in my house is where I am picky....when I am relaxing. But that is just me.

DUB
The plan is to fabricate new boxes in the stock location for the front and the rear. I would then use the factory covers. The system would look stock except for head unit.

But as I said the stock system is working fine so I will probably just leave it for now.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:07 PM
DUB
Race Director

The plan is to fabricate new boxes in the stock location for the front and the rear. I would then use the factory covers. The system would look stock except for head unit.

But as I said the stock system is working fine so I will probably just leave it for now.
Quite the 'craftsman'. I know I would not build new boxes (if at all possible)....too much time and the customer more than likely would 'flip-out' on the price.

DUB
Old 10-23-2014, 08:03 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Speakers enclosures are as important as the speakers in producing sound quality. It is a tuned device and not just a box that holds the speaker. Sure, any box will work but you will not be getting the quality of sound that the speaker can produce.

Engineers specialize in building speaker enclosures and matching speakers to it to get the best sound from the two units. Frequency response and flatness across the audio range is what it is designed for.

Not trying to slow down creativity, just wanted to make you aware of a little technical information.

My Bose system really works great. It is so clean, I love to listen to it especially when I'm by myself. I think it's better that my home stereo. I don’t have 500 watts but plenty of sound power inside the car.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:38 AM
gtp'n
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pcolt94
Speakers enclosures are as important as the speakers in producing sound quality. It is a tuned device and not just a box that holds the speaker. Sure, any box will work but you will not be getting the quality of sound that the speaker can produce.

Engineers specialize in building speaker enclosures and matching speakers to it to get the best sound from the two units. Frequency response and flatness across the audio range is what it is designed for.

Not trying to slow down creativity, just wanted to make you aware of a little technical information.

My Bose system really works great. It is so clean, I love to listen to it especially when I'm by myself. I think it's better that my home stereo. I don’t have 500 watts but plenty of sound power inside the car.

I can pretty much make anything I want out of wood. I used to make custom furniture with my dad. It would not take a long time and could probably make the boxes out of scrap I have laying around.

I have never done anything with fiberglass but I am thinking of giving it a try. I am thinking of doing a custom sub box for my DD that will sit in the corner of my trunk.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:55 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

I hate Bose, despite loving it when the car was new. My '84 was one of the first cars with an attempt by the manufacturer to install a decent audio system.

Replacing it was no small chore, in my case, but has been well worth the effort. Double-DIN will not fit in my1.5 DIN opening, and my 4x100wpc mbQuart amp warms the passenger's buns, driving all Infinity speakers, in custom boxes (big PITA), stock locations. Front's are 6.5" coax; rears are 8" subs. Now I can hear it with the t-top off at illegal speeds.
Oops.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:27 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by whalepirot
I hate Bose, despite loving it when the car was new. My '84 was one of the first cars with an attempt by the manufacturer to install a decent audio system.

Replacing it was no small chore, in my case, but has been well worth the effort. Double-DIN will not fit in my1.5 DIN opening, and my 4x100wpc mbQuart amp warms the passenger's buns, driving all Infinity speakers, in custom boxes (big PITA), stock locations. Front's are 6.5" coax; rears are 8" subs. Now I can hear it with the t-top off at illegal speeds.
Oops.
I am HONESTLY GLAD that you replied.

I never wrote that the Bose system is the BEST( not writing that you are implying that I did). I know the sound system can be improved on...but the amount of $$$ and TIME....is entirely up to the owner. If the end result is worth the money and time...than all is good.

This job is NO PICNIC...even for an experienced person. And with you doing all the work...imagine the amount of $$ you saved for all of the headaches and aggravation.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Bose Help

Quick Reply: Bose Help