C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Cargo hatch lights don't work

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 08:10 PM
MDstar2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cargo hatch lights don't work

Hey all. My cargo lights don't work on my 89. The hatch release works, all of the other interior lights work. The interior lights come on when each door is open and with the headlight/dome light switch. The cargo lights won't work with the hatch open or any of the switches on. I'm not getting any indications on the dash with the hatch open either. They have never worked since I have owned the car. Does anyone have an idea or a schematic for this? Thanks!
Old 03-01-2015, 10:56 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Not to be a smart azz but have you checked the bulbs and the sockets for 12V? I always check the simple stuff first because we often overlook the obvious. I would then check the plunger switch at the hatch release mechanism altho if they dont light with opening the door, I would think they wouldnt be the issue. It may be dirty or damaged. Check for 12v there as well. Other than that its just a hunt and peck to find out where the problem lies. You may find where your PO has disconnected a wire because of a short or something.

Good luck!
Old 03-01-2015, 03:45 PM
MDstar2
Instructor

I don't have power at the lights. I have tested the ground through the plunger and it's working. I was looking for a schematic to find where they get their power from.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:24 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

On my car there is a module that controls the rear hatch lights (on the right):

Old 03-01-2015, 05:51 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Cliff, would it be logical then at this module there will be 12v and two input circuits, one from the doors/lightswitch and one from the hatch plunger?
Old 03-01-2015, 06:56 PM
70ZZ3 96LT4
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default no lgts

Originally Posted by HlhnEast
Cliff, would it be logical then at this module there will be 12v and two input circuits, one from the doors/lightswitch and one from the hatch plunger?
I would be happy without any interior lights on my 1984 and 1996 Corvettes. Can't pull the fuse for them because there are so many other things that use the same fuse. Actually I did think about removing the bulbs just today. These lights stay on to long after I shut the doors.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:51 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Originally Posted by 70ZZ3 96LT4
These lights stay on to long after I shut the doors.
My recollection is that they are supposed to stay on for 45 seconds. I could be wrong on that and it might be one minute. Certainly no longer than one minute, though. The important thing is that they do turn off or your battery will soon go dead.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:00 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by MDstar2
I don't have power at the lights.
You should have 12v. at the cargo lamp sockets at all times. They are switched on by a ground circuit thru the diode module shown in Cliff's picture (the module at the right in his photo).

Does your power antenna work? Does your spare tire lamp work? (Just in case: it's located in the center of the car, under your rear bumper). These two things are wired to the same spot in your harness, and also should have 12v. at all times.

Need an answer to this before proceeding.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:04 AM
MDstar2
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
You should have 12v. at the cargo lamp sockets at all times. They are switched on by a ground circuit thru the diode module shown in Cliff's picture (the module at the right in his photo).

Does your power antenna work? Does your spare tire lamp work? (Just in case: it's located in the center of the car, under your rear bumper). These two things are wired to the same spot in your harness, and also should have 12v. at all times.

Need an answer to this before proceeding.

Thanks for the reply. Power antenna does work fine. I have not seen the spare tire light either. It's just the spare tire and cargo lights. No power at the cargo light sockets.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:20 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

I have not seen the spare tire light either.
I'm not sure what you mean by this comment. Have you found your spare tire lamp? Does it come on when you open a door? If no, is the light bulb good? Do you have 12v. at the socket? It should have 12v. at all times.

Last edited by Hot Rod Roy; 03-02-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:39 PM
MDstar2
Instructor

Right now the car is parked in the back of the garage against the wall. I'll bring it back out when the snow goes away. I have looked for the spare tire light and have never seen anything lit up under the car. I'll start there when I move the car. I would guess I need to look at that module and the connections there if I don't have power at the spare tire light.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:24 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

The diode module has nothing to do with the lack of 12v. at the hatch lights sockets or the spare tire light socket. The diode module is on the ground side of the lamp circuitry. If you don't have 12v. at the sockets, your lights can't work.

It is strange that your antenna will go up and down. All of these devices get their 12v. from connector C124 pin D, which is located behind the RH end of the instrument panel. I'm wondering if someone may have cut the wires to your cargo lamps, because they couldn't figure out the hatch switch. You'll probably have to remove the plastic "halo" panels to check this out.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:30 PM
MDstar2
Instructor

The diode module has nothing to do with the lack of 12v. at the hatch lights sockets or the spare tire light socket. The diode module is on the ground side of the lamp circuitry. If you don't have 12v. at the sockets, your lights can't work.

It is strange that your antenna will go up and down. All of these devices get their 12v. from connector C124 pin D, which is located behind the RH end of the instrument panel. I'm wondering if someone may have cut the wires to your cargo lamps, because they couldn't figure out the hatch switch. You'll probably have to remove the plastic "halo" panels to check this out.

Thanks so much for the info! That's exactly what I needed. The car was beat and hacked when I got it. All of the wires were cut when someone replaced the radio with an aftermarket unit. So who knows. The connector is on the passenger side of the dash? Or to the right of the instrument cluster? Thanks again for all of your info.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:22 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Hi

There are differences with the courtesy delay timer's.
My original one would light the hatch area with the door opening, the second hand replacement delay timer is different. Open door and floor lights door lights and mirror lights work, the rear hatch cargo lights only work when the hatch is opened. The delay is around 30 seconds for the lights to go out when the car has been locked.

See the Corvettecentral website below, regarding different part numbers for the courtesy lights delay timer board.

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...ar=&part=delay timer&searchtype=50

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...50f&ukey=29998

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...50f&ukey=29596

Last edited by gerardvg; 03-02-2015 at 08:24 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:16 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gerardvg
There are differences with the courtesy delay timer's. My original one would light the hatch area with the door opening, the second hand replacement delay timer is different. Open door and floor lights door lights and mirror lights work, the rear hatch cargo lights only work when the hatch is opened.
All that may be true, but the delay timer is on the ground (earth) side of the lamp circuit, and has nothing to do with the OP's lack of 12v. at his light sockets. Since he has no 12v. at his lights, but his antenna operates properly, the only answer is disconnected sockets.

If there is tampering at his hatch switch, he would still have 12v. at his cargo lamp sockets, so that's not the stated problem. There may be other problems, but they aren't related to his lack of 12v. at the cargo lights.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:20 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

The spare tire light looks like this (the orange glow is not normal -- the bulb was bad):

As Roy mentioned, this light should come on any time the interior lights are on.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:23 AM
MDstar2
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
The spare tire light looks like this (the orange glow is not normal -- the bulb was bad):

As Roy mentioned, this light should come on any time the interior lights are on.
Thanks Cliff. I have never seen that light before. I'll check it out in few weeks. Thank you all for your help! It's appreciated.

Get notified of new replies

To Cargo hatch lights don't work

Old 03-28-2015, 08:15 PM
MDstar2
Instructor

Ok....... I apologize. I was wrong. After tearing the freaking car completely apart, it does have 12 volts to the lights. On both sides of the sockets there is 12 volts. Even with the bulb out, there is 12 volts on each side.
So I'm definitely missing the ground, not the positive.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:37 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Ok, it does have 12 volts to the lights. On both sides of the sockets there is 12 volts. Even with the bulb out, there is 12 volts on each side.
OK, time to re-think. Open a door and the hatch. Are the door courtesy lights (near the door handles) on? Remove both cargo light bulbs. Do you still measure 12v. on both sides of the cargo light sockets?

Don't worry about connector C124. If that was bad, your antenna wouldn't work.

Last edited by Hot Rod Roy; 03-29-2015 at 01:47 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:22 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey all. My cargo lights don't work on my 89. The hatch release works, all of the other interior lights work. The interior lights come on when each door is open and with the headlight/dome light switch. The cargo lights won't work with the hatch open or any of the switches on. I'm not getting any indications on the dash with the hatch open either. They have never worked since I have owned the car. Does anyone have an idea or a schematic for this? Thanks!
I would look to see if the diode module is there and plugged in.
If it is, it is likely bad. It controls ground to cargo lights and dash indicator.
Here is the schematic from my 86 manual.

http://members.shaw.ca/dankai/Interior%20Lights.pdf

Quick Reply: Cargo hatch lights don't work