C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

84 leaky brake booster

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 09:06 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Default 84 leaky brake booster

My brake booster is leaky I hear it hiss when I push in the pedal, and the pedal is hard to push. A couple times the engine seemed to speed up when I pushed the brake pedal down and the car didn't want to stop at all.

Im not sure if that's from the booster or my foot maybe hitting the accelerator when it happens I cant take time to look at the pedal. The reason I think it could be my foot hitting the gas when its on the brakes is the PO put a large metal foot plate over the brake pedal.

Anyway I have two questions. Is it likely that the booster can do this itself?

If I pull the hose off the booster and block it will I be able to drive to go get a brake booster.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:39 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

You can drive the car the way it is now. Taking the hose off won't change anything except make the engine run better. It would be best to remove the hose from the booster and plug the vacuum hose because it is a vacuum leak.

It will just take more muscle than usual to make the car stop. You need to remember that there will be more pedal pressure required than normal to be ready to start braking early.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:41 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
You can drive the car the way it is now. Taking the hose off won't change anything except make the engine run better. It would be best to remove the hose from the booster and plug the vacuum hose because it is a vacuum leak.

It will just take more muscle than usual to make the car stop. You need to remember that there will be more pedal pressure required than normal to be ready to start braking early.
Is it possible it could damage the mc this way or cause any invasion of air into the system something to bend etc from pushing so hard on the brake pedal?

Do you think that's whats causing the rpm runaway on the rare occasion? Im trying to make a better habit of getting my foot wayyyyyy over since that pedal bracket is so big and so close to the gas pedal.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:17 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by ToniJ1960
Is it possible it could damage the mc this way or cause any invasion of air into the system something to bend etc from pushing so hard on the brake pedal?

Do you think that's whats causing the rpm runaway on the rare occasion? Im trying to make a better habit of getting my foot wayyyyyy over since that pedal bracket is so big and so close to the gas pedal.
Why not remove the non-factory pedal piece? It sounds dangerous. You won't hurt the M/C without boost. Hopefully you have the metal booster as the plastic ones are fairly fragile.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:25 AM
Pres712
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just replaced mine that had the same problem. It's a fairly simple job. I bought a booster from Auto Zone and followed a video on You Tube. Three hours and $120 later, it's fixed.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:04 PM
GQ-ROD
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just replace it, i've had to replace 2 rebuilt ones in 3 years, not hard to do just patience.

Not expensive, all you have to do is carefully move the mc aside with lines intact to remove the booster.

Get notified of new replies

To 84 leaky brake booster

Quick Reply: 84 leaky brake booster