C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Main Cooling Fan

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 05:11 AM
Mars Rocket
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Main Cooling Fan

Well, have tried to fix my main cooling fan on my 88 corvette for a month.

Tried everything... things got so bad I had tried fusible direct lines, changed over relay... tried manual ground...

It all started when the fan wouldn't work about 8 months ago... I connected the aux fan to a manual switch to keep temp down which helps but I still wanted to fix the main fan.

I noticed that a fusible link going to the connector had broken and there was a burn in the double connector, now the double connector has 2 wires coming from the fusible link, they were orange wires. Red wires came out the other end and disappeared into the wiring harness.

I lost it completely and had to break the black cylinder where the fusible links joined just to work out which wire went where.

I have attached pics showing where I am at now.

If anyone has any ideas it would be great.

Also, can you by the 20 amp fusible link with small black cylinder.

I have already bought the relay from Ecklers (apart from other things).

But it doesnt appear to be the relay.

The fan sort of vibrates when I ground it and one time it started for a couple of seconds and then stopped.

I thought I was getting enough consistant power through and added new wiring with it's own fuse.

Anyway... HELP

Old 07-11-2015, 09:18 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mars Rocket

I noticed that a fusible link going to the connector had broken and there was a burn in the double connector, now the double connector has 2 wires coming from the fusible link, they were orange wires. Red wires came out the other end and disappeared into the wiring harness.

I lost it completely and had to break the black cylinder where the fusible links joined just to work out which wire went where.

For starters,the black cylinder is just a group splice. The 2 orange wires coming out of it, are the fusible links for both fans.
On the other end of cylinder is a small red wire, which powers ECM.
It sounds like the fan motor may be your problem.
Here is a pic of the electrical schematic for both fans, ignore the red lines and DPDT switch in diagram, it's not part of the factory wiring.

Here is some info from my 86 manual

http://members.shaw.ca/corvette86/Co...%20Control.pdf

Old 07-11-2015, 10:19 PM
Mars Rocket
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
For starters,the black cylinder is just a group splice. The 2 orange wires coming out of it, are the fusible links for both fans.
Here is a pic of the electrical schematic for both fans, ignore the red lines and DPDT switch in diagram, it's not part of the factory wiring.

Here is some info from my 86 manual

http://members.shaw.ca/corvette86/Co...%20Control.pdf

Thanks AGENT 86

Yes, I had worked out the 2 fans were run through the 2 orange fusible links.

What stuffed me from the beginning is the 88 is converted to RHD and things are set up different to a LHD car, like relay positions for instance. At the beginning I wasn't even working on the primary fan relay. It was one of the MAF relays and that caused a lot of unnecessary problems like SES code and that car not even starting.

Yes, the main wire comes out of the junction box and is spliced into wires that powers the ECM, and the 2 fusible links that power the aux fan and primary fan.

I agree, most likely the fan motor is stuffed... The only way is to get power directly to the fan to make sure I believe is to connect the red wire going into relay to the black and red wire going to the fan.

What made the whole process more frustrating is I ordered 2 relays from Ecklers. They were Relay For Engine Cooling Fan, 88-94 and a Relay For Mass Air Flo B-Off, 87-89

I received 2 relays in boxes. Both boxes had 'Engine Cooling Fan Relay. 1988 - 1994 (25104).

I don't know which relay is which. On the relays themselves there is relay which is Y1412828 and the other is Y1410828.

Have emailed them but haven't got a reply yet.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:26 AM
Mars Rocket
Heel & Toe

Pretty sure now that the primary cooling fan motor burnt out taking the the fusible link out as well.

How difficult is it to replace the primary cooling fan motor?

Also, I have set up a manual switch under the dash to turn the primary fan on manually (when I have replaced the motor) ... do you splice this into the green/white wire at the relay or can you just insert it back to the switch which is grounded like I did for the aux fan... because the ECM is involved with the primary fan I don't want to stuff the ECM.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:09 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mars Rocket
Pretty sure now that the primary cooling fan motor burnt out taking the the fusible link out as well.

How difficult is it to replace the primary cooling fan motor?

Also, I have set up a manual switch under the dash to turn the primary fan on manually (when I have replaced the motor) ... do you splice this into the green/white wire at the relay or can you just insert it back to the switch which is grounded like I did for the aux fan... because the ECM is involved with the primary fan I don't want to stuff the ECM.
I did my fan in 2003, so my memory is not that great. Mine failed on a road trip and had to swap in my dad's driveway using simple tools.

Splice into the green/white, so the ECM can still control the fan and your switch just becomes an override to on.
Your other side of switch goes to ground, just like you see in the schematic I posted.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:18 AM
Mars Rocket
Heel & Toe

I did my fan in 2003, so my memory is not that great. Mine failed on a road trip and had to swap in my dad's driveway using simple tools.

Splice into the green/white, so the ECM can still control the fan and your switch just becomes an override to on.
Your other side of switch goes to ground, just like you see in the schematic I posted.
Thanks once again AGENT 86.

Get notified of new replies

To Main Cooling Fan

Quick Reply: Main Cooling Fan