C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1989 C4 has no power to fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 09:34 AM
Gdalegonalot
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 C4 has no power to fuel pump

My 89 sat for a year without a battery. Installed new battery. I heard the fuel pump relay click, however no power to the fuel pump fuse. I ran a hot wire to the out side of the fuse, but still no power to the fuel pump. I'm pretty good with wiring and have the tech manual but I'm at a loss as according to the manual, the wire from the fuse goes directly to the fuel pump. The car has not moved. The 'Service Engine soon' light is on but no codes except 12 on the reader.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:06 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Gdalegonalot
My 89 sat for a year without a battery. Installed new battery. I heard the fuel pump relay click, however no power to the fuel pump fuse. I ran a hot wire to the out side of the fuse, but still no power to the fuel pump. I'm pretty good with wiring and have the tech manual but I'm at a loss as according to the manual, the wire from the fuse goes directly to the fuel pump. The car has not moved. The 'Service Engine soon' light is on but no codes except 12 on the reader.
You need to check the wiring with a multimeter from where you do have 12v, all the way along the wire to the fuel pump..Somewhere along that route you will find where the mouse chewed through your wire, or where the break in the current flow is.......WW

Last edited by WW7; 08-12-2015 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:19 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Did you actually test voltage at fuel pump connector with jumper in place, or assume there was no power because pump didn't run ?
Old 08-13-2015, 12:51 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

The ECM turns on the fuel pump (through the fuel pump relay) for 2 seconds at ignition-on to prime the fuel rails for starting. It then shuts off the fuel pump so it won't run continuously if the engine is not started. The ECM turns on the fuel pump when it sees DRPs (Distributor Reference Pulses) from the ignition module inside the distributor. The ignition module produces DRPs any time the engine is rotating, whether cranking or running.

There will be NO voltage on the fuel pump fuse if the engine is not rotating (after the initial 2 second fuel rail priming).
Old 08-13-2015, 12:55 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Gdalegonalot
The 'Service Engine soon' light is on but no codes except 12 on the reader.
Your reader is not working correctly. Use the "paperclip method":

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1574918379

http://corvettephotographs.com/c4vettes/codes.htm

Get notified of new replies

To 1989 C4 has no power to fuel pump

Quick Reply: 1989 C4 has no power to fuel pump