C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

bleeding brakes - 1992 - nothing at modulator

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 10:14 PM
92-C4
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bleeding brakes - 1992 - nothing at modulator

I picked up a 1992 6 speed about two months ago. I've been going through the full list of TO DO'S. Today I flushed fresh fluid through my brake lines, the old fluid was pretty dark.

Had no problem with the 4 corners
BUT
before getting to the bleeders at the wheels I tried to loosen the bleed screw on the prime pipe at the hydraulic modulator in the rear storage area and I got nothing to pump through...

Bad bleed screw? I didn't pull the bleed screw all the way out in fear of a brake fluid mess inside the car.

something wrong with the system? Not allowing pressure there?

I'm a fairly ambitions but not so experienced weekend wrencher. . . This could easily be something obvious but over my head. Like a "you forgot to..."

The brakes do feel rock solid. There was a some air bubbling at the front left when I bled it. The brakes may even feel a little tighter than before I started. BUT , why couldn't I bleed from that 5th bleed screw?
Old 09-03-2015, 10:19 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Pluged with crap?
Old 09-04-2015, 12:35 AM
92-C4
Intermediate

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Pluged with crap?
Crossed my mind. Although it was real dark there wasn't a spec of debris in the quart I pumped out. But at 23 years old anything is possible. I appreciate your thoughts!
Old 09-04-2015, 09:22 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I believe that you have to have the ABS pump running to bleed the unit. That requires a GM Tech-1 scan tool with the additional brake module. There are probably some other scan tools (Snap-On has one) that will do the job.

Every time you start the engine and the car moves forward thru 2-3 MPH, the ABS pump does a self-test. For a few seconds, you will hear a buzzing noise behind the driver's seat. I think that test also circulates a small amount of fluid between the ABS pump and the master cylinder. Keep checking the fluid in the reservoir over a few weeks time to see if it darkens. You can easily suck out the old fluid from the reservoir and replace with fresh fluid.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:57 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

im doing my 87 right now and i read that you do all 4 corners, RR, LR, RF, LF, then safely activate the abs pump and do it all again.

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I believe that you have to have the ABS pump running to bleed the unit. That requires a GM Tech-1 scan tool with the additional brake module. There are probably some other scan tools (Snap-On has one) that will do the job.

Every time you start the engine and the car moves forward thru 2-3 MPH, the ABS pump does a self-test. For a few seconds, you will hear a buzzing noise behind the driver's seat. I think that test also circulates a small amount of fluid between the ABS pump and the master cylinder. Keep checking the fluid in the reservoir over a few weeks time to see if it darkens. You can easily suck out the old fluid from the reservoir and replace with fresh fluid.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:44 PM
92-C4
Intermediate

Default thanks

Originally Posted by c4cruiser

plan to go with this for now. Thanks!!
Old 09-07-2015, 09:16 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Just my 2 cents. Been 10 years since I bleed and replaced the ABS. But from what I remember I did not run the pump. I either pressurized the master with a pressure tank. Or I held the brake pedal down. But I think just from gravity it will just run out since it is lower than the master.

I think it's a strong possibility the bleeder is clogged. If you remove it, get a bunch of rags under and on the side of the pump. (Guess how know). I would check for the clogged bleeder first.

My 94 has a tube that runs from the side of the master down to the pump. I don’t think the 92 has that and have forgotten what the operational difference is. But if there is no tube, it may not run out (not sure).

Get notified of new replies

To bleeding brakes - 1992 - nothing at modulator

Quick Reply: bleeding brakes - 1992 - nothing at modulator