C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

95 No Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 03:55 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

good job I just jack up the right rear and let it bubble out as I fill. heat and repeat if needed. easyer and safer than the bleeders.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 11-29-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:03 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by qws
JACKPOT!... 3x's a charm

Sound of the video doesn't do it justice. Now one I get this coolant system to burp I think I'm good to go.
Excellent, I guess the valve adjusting took care of it.

Just bleed both brass air escape screws till fluid comes out. Then fill the overflow tank to the cold mark (or slightly above) and drive the car to op temperature. Then let it cool over night and the tank will probably be low. Fill it again to the mark and do another cycle hot and cold. Takes me about 3 cycles till everything stabilizes and all the air is out of the system.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:43 PM
qws
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This coolant now is become an issue. I've done at least 3 heat cycles so far. The car is on a kwik lift so its angle up. Bleed the air out the bleeder valve during the process. But after 10-15 min's analog gauge is at 260, the digital takes a bit longer naturally.... but it hits 228 the first fan turns on... then at 235 the second fan turns on... but its not dropping in temp. Water pump and T-stat are new. (T-stat is for a LT1). This is all happening at idle.

Head gaskets are new... as always I followed the FSM for tq specs,etc.

Any thoughts as to whats going on? radiator?
Old 11-29-2015, 07:46 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by qws
This coolant now is become an issue. I've done at least 3 heat cycles so far. The car is on a kwik lift so its angle up. Bleed the air out the bleeder valve during the process. But after 10-15 min's analog gauge is at 260, the digital takes a bit longer naturally.... but it hits 228 the first fan turns on... then at 235 the second fan turns on... but its not dropping in temp. Water pump and T-stat are new. (T-stat is for a LT1). This is all happening at idle.

Head gaskets are new... as always I followed the FSM for tq specs,etc.

Any thoughts as to whats going on? radiator?
Once the Tstat opens (by 190, it's OPEN), rev the engine. Doing so will circulate the coolant faster and push any air bubbles along, helping you burp them either through the bleeders, or into the surge tank. The LT1 SHOULD be easy to fill/bleed. Every time I do it, car is level, I open both bleeders, fill until I get coolant from the bleeders. Close bleeders, top off and I'm done. It definitely sounds like you have air in there. Heater work? If no, then you don't even have enough coolant in there for the pump to pump. If yes...then at least you've gotten that far. Get it up to ~190, and goose it for a second...then see if she'll take more coolant.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:55 PM
qws
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Once the Tstat opens (by 190, it's OPEN), rev the engine. Doing so will circulate the coolant faster and push any air bubbles along, helping you burp them either through the bleeders, or into the surge tank. The LT1 SHOULD be easy to fill/bleed. Every time I do it, car is level, I open both bleeders, fill until I get coolant from the bleeders. Close bleeders, top off and I'm done. It definitely sounds like you have air in there. Heater work? If no, then you don't even have enough coolant in there for the pump to pump. If yes...then at least you've gotten that far. Get it up to ~190, and goose it for a second...then see if she'll take more coolant.
I haven't even tried the heater since I've only been running the car for 10-15 min's at a time before it heats up. I've put in 3 gals so far of antifreeze including what I added into the overflow tank.
I've never if had a problem bleeding the air out of the 94, however I know of the bleeder on the Tstat, but where is the second one?
Old 11-29-2015, 10:32 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

When the engine is coolish, remove the cap on the surge tank. Rev up the engine a bit and look in the tank. The level should drop slightly and a good flow should be evident.

I hate to ask this, did you install the coupling for the shaft between the pump and the cam?
Old 11-29-2015, 10:54 PM
qws
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by pcolt94
When the engine is coolish, remove the cap on the surge tank. Rev up the engine a bit and look in the tank. The level should drop slightly and a good flow should be evident.

I hate to ask this, did you install the coupling for the shaft between the pump and the cam?
I never had the cam out. Only replaced water pump

When the car is running I get a nice steady flow of coolant out the bleeder, no air. Regardless of temp.Note: I did bypass the coolant to the TB

Once at temp, if I have the cap off and I give it a rev... coolant comes out the top so I put the cap back on

When I shut it down... I go back to the bleeder valve and nothing but air.

I'm thinking the radiator isn't flowing. And BTW, its clean between the radiator and condesensor
Old 11-30-2015, 12:13 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Does the radiator get hot once the T-stat opens? Or, when the fan(s) come on, are they blowing hot air? If Yes on either of those, radiator is flowing. You should be able to check the heat w/in your operating time frame...though it sounds like you've determined that coolant is flowing.

What makes you feel that the radiator may not be flowing? Was it having temp issues before being taken apart?

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 11-30-2015 at 12:15 AM.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:41 AM
qws
Melting Slicks

Does the radiator get hot once the T-stat opens? Or, when the fan(s) come on, are they blowing hot air? If Yes on either of those, radiator is flowing. You should be able to check the heat w/in your operating time frame...though it sounds like you've determined that coolant is flowing.

What makes you feel that the radiator may not be flowing? Was it having temp issues before being taken apart?
My Gut...lol

I'll look into this today. I've only driven the car about 5 miles before this project. it did have a over heat issue, but I attributed it to the head gasket at the time.

I have to clean the contacts for the heater control. It randomly likes to be picky. I'll see if I can get it to adjust up. And report back.

I'll have to look at a flow diagram for this cooling system, the FSM I have is on CD so I should check it out.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:07 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

if it only took 3 gal you did not pull the knocks and do a proper flush. alot of crap stays in there. go by your digital the analog lies. as said before pull you cap and watch the flow as you throttle up. when you do idle some will come out. the other bleeder is a bit further to the pass side and a bit forward if memory serves me right it does hide. I found it better just to jack up the right rear about a foot and let it bubble out as you fill and let it settle out repeat if needed.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:18 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by pcolt94
OP - This could be a very valid question. When asked you mentioned only replacing the pump.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 11-30-2015 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:45 AM
qws
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
OP - This could be a very valid question. When asked you mentioned only replacing the pump.
The new OEM pump came with a gear that slide into the coupling that comes out the timing cover which I assume is what your refering to
Old 11-30-2015, 09:02 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by qws
The new OEM pump came with a gear that slide into the coupling that comes out the timing cover which I assume is what your refering to
Yes - it needed to be asked even though the coolant quantity that you've used certainly seemed to indicate that you had.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:03 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by qws
I believe they are making sure you put the coupling back in.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:00 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by qws
I never had the cam out. Only replaced water pump
No you done understand. It is the piece that couples the water pump to the engine. It's a spline shaft that protrudes from the timing cover. A hollow cylinder with splines goes on it and the other side connects to the water pump. ( I used the term "cam" earlier which was wrong as I was thinking of the opti).

With good light you can actually see the spline coupling behind the pump.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/lt1-water-pump-drive

start at 7 minutes
Old 11-30-2015, 11:41 AM
qws
Melting Slicks

I'm gonna look into this coupling a bit more... so far something doesn't look right behind there on the water pump, that coupling was on there, but I'm not sure if I'm seeing in. I'll get some better light and see if maybe I knock it off when installing the new one.

Some updates

Started car, turned heater on high...
digital temp 235
Analog- over 260 - I understand the issues with the analog, however just posting the status

Surge tank-- gurgles like crazy
upper and lower radiator hoses - cold
radiator- cold
NO HEAT.

Last edited by qws; 11-30-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:59 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by qws
upper and lower radiator hoses - cold
radiator- cold
NO HEAT.
There it is....you're not circulating coolant. you either don't have enough coolant in there to circulate....or your pump drive is not installed.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 11-30-2015 at 11:59 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 95 No Start

Old 11-30-2015, 12:25 PM
qws
Melting Slicks

There it is....you're not circulating coolant. you either don't have enough coolant in there to circulate....or your pump drive is not installed.

Ill be a S>OB!... coupling isn't there.
Good call Pcolt94

It was on when I was fitting it up... It must of dropped off during final installation.

Hopefully I can find that coupling and where it dropped
thanks guys
Old 11-30-2015, 12:36 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

you did use sealer on the waterpump bolts? might look into putting a new seal in too.
I put the coupling in the engine then put the pump on it.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 11-30-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:51 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by qws
Ill be a S>OB!... coupling isn't there.
Good call Pcolt94
Indeed. That was a good one.

Quick Reply: 95 No Start