C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What scenarios cause the Brake warning light to come on?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 03:59 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default What scenarios cause the Brake warning light to come on?

I have an '85.. i just replaced the brake pads and bled the brake, and the warning light stays on now. I don't have ABS btw.

This is the same light that is set on by the parking brake. I've also seen it go on when my master cylinder failed awhile back and allowed excess pedal travel.

I tried disconnecting the battery, but that didn't clear it. What else could be causing this?
Old 02-17-2004, 04:07 PM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: What scenarios cause the Brake warning light to come on? (CentralCoaster)

On my 93, there are 3 items tied into the Brake Warning Light:
1. Emergency Brake Light Switch
2. Master Cylinder Pressure Switch
3. Ignition Switch

To check these on my 93, the tests are:
1. Unplug Emergency Brake Light Switch. Start car. Did light go off? If so, replace Emergency Brake Switch. Did light stay on? Go to 2.
2. Unplug Master Cylinder Pressure Switch. Start car. Did light go off? If so, replace Master Cylinder Pressure Switch. Did light stay on? Go to 3.
3. Faulty ignition switch. Replace electrical side of ignition switch.

Reason I know this...same thing has been happening on my 93 for about 1 year. It isn't the Emergency Brake Light Switch or Master Cylinder Pressure Switch. As for the ignition switch, it is more trouble to drop the column to replace for me than to ignore the light. If I ever need to drop the column, then I will replace it then.

:cheers:
Old 02-17-2004, 07:14 PM
jackdaroofer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: What scenarios cause the Brake warning light to come on? (CentralCoaster)

I have an '85.. i just replaced the brake pads and bled the brake, and the warning light stays on now. I don't have ABS btw.

This is the same light that is set on by the parking brake. I've also seen it go on when my master cylinder failed awhile back and allowed excess pedal travel.

I tried disconnecting the battery, but that didn't clear it. What else could be causing this?
:cheers: Was the light on before you changed the pads and bled the brakes?

When you bld the brakes, did you accidentally letthe brake fluid get too low in the Master Cylinder?

Is your brake pedal hard and firm or does it sort of "go away" or feel a little spongy?

Jack
Old 02-17-2004, 09:26 PM
69vetteracer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only two things on an 85 will cause the brake light to come on. The valve is not centered or the parking brake is on. Try disconnecting the electrical connector from the proportioning valve and see if the light goes out. If it does then try bleeding again, you still have a pressure differential. If it does not go out, then the parking brake handle or switch is hung up. Good luck. :chevy
Old 02-19-2004, 08:05 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: What scenarios cause the Brake warning light to come on? (69vetteracer)

I think I let that fluid get too low.. anyhow, I rebled the brakes and after driving a block, the light went out. :cheers:
Old 02-19-2004, 08:39 PM
jackdaroofer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I think I let that fluid get too low.. anyhow, I rebled the brakes and after driving a block, the light went out. :cheers:
:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To What scenarios cause the Brake warning light to come on?

Quick Reply: What scenarios cause the Brake warning light to come on?