C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Forced Induction Crankcase Evac Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 02:05 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus-of-Boost
OK WHAT EVER YOU DO. MAKE SURE IT IS VENTING PLENTY DURING HIGH BOOST PULLS.

I didnt have enough "vent " when i was on the dyno and i pushed oil past the rear main seal onto the clutch. Of course the clutch started slipping.
oil on clutch. I was 17.5 psi

This is what i did this go round.

And these 12an fittings will run to a breather can with a filter on the top.

Ill vent the valley cover to a can and then into the blower inlet
how's this coming? I'm doing the same thing. And pics of the valley cover to can into blower unit? interested in seeing that.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:19 PM
Zeus-of-Boost
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

chicago1, it's doing really well so far. I've had about 1000miles on the set up and it's been working awesome. I still run smaller hoses off the valley cover and valve cover to a can. then to the blower intake
Old 09-23-2013, 05:34 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

chicago1, it's doing really well so far. I've had about 1000miles on the set up and it's been working awesome. I still run smaller hoses off the valley cover and valve cover to a can. then to the blower intake
Any pics? I just got my vc back with the -10an lines welded on. My catch can with filter should be here friday
Old 09-28-2013, 12:23 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 212 Posts

Installing the RX dual valve, on an LS6. There is no tube etc on the drivers side valve cover, just a plastic cap in a hole, how do I hook up the tubing? Is something missing, what connector do I need?
Old 09-28-2013, 01:19 PM
danieloneil01
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
Installing the RX dual valve, on an LS6. There is no tube etc on the drivers side valve cover, just a plastic cap in a hole, how do I hook up the tubing? Is something missing, what connector do I need?
Remove the plug and Autozone has the plastic elbow along with the hose. Right before it goes into my CC, I reduced the hose size to fit.

I'd tell you what exactly I bought but I forgot.

Last edited by danieloneil01; 09-28-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:26 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Unfortunately you going to have to find an adaptor of some sort that will fit in the hole on the drive side valve cover. Those who use AN fittings will just have a bung welded into the cover. Others will have a nipple of sorts welded in and just clamp the hose onto it.

Some do as Daniel has suggested. That option didn't work too well for me. Of course the small 3/8 lines that come with the regular dual valve RX can didn't work for me either.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:36 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Originally Posted by danieloneil01
Remove the plug and Autozone has the plastic elbow along with the hose. Right before it goes into my CC, I reduced the hose size to fit.

I'd tell you what exactly I bought but I forgot.
That is a good option if you don't want custom -an lines

This is what I did below

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6
Unfortunately you going to have to find an adaptor of some sort that will fit in the hole on the drive side valve cover. Those who use AN fittings will just have a bung welded into the cover. Others will have a nipple of sorts welded in and just clamp the hose onto it.

Some do as Daniel has suggested. That option didn't work too well for me. Of course the small 3/8 lines that come with the regular dual valve RX can didn't work for me either.

Last edited by Chicago1; 09-28-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:01 PM
Zeus-of-Boost
Burning Brakes

that's why I did as well Chicago, I also mad some baffles and welded below to holes just in case the rockers threw oil out the hole.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:12 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

that's why I did as well Chicago, I also mad some baffles and welded below to holes just in case the rockers threw oil out the hole.
did you get a pic of the one to the blower? I was curious about that one..Thanks
Old 09-28-2013, 08:08 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 212 Posts

I found a long rubber gromet that worked. Thx
Old 09-22-2014, 11:52 AM
baddgoat
Intermediate

I have a question,i am trying to stop my car from looking like a diesel when I stop on the gas pedal..anyone have a drawing showing the right way to hook up a electric smog pump,to the motor, (ls3)aka via the valve covers..I am going to use a hobbs switch to activate the air pump during boost.. just wanted to know the best way to route the plumbing and do I need two check valves and a catch can?
Old 09-22-2014, 12:00 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

If you're going to try a make shift vacuum pump you want to close off everything and have one line from the crankcase (lifter valley or valve cover) going to the pump and then to a catch can. You should just run it all the time.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:00 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by baddgoat
I have a question,i am trying to stop my car from looking like a diesel when I stop on the gas pedal..anyone have a drawing showing the right way to hook up a electric smog pump,to the motor, (ls3)aka via the valve covers..I am going to use a hobbs switch to activate the air pump during boost.. just wanted to know the best way to route the plumbing and do I need two check valves and a catch can?
No way to hook up one unless you take the AIR off the car. ECS Doug had one are had a post on one from someplace for the C5 with out air on the car.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:35 PM
baddgoat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
If you're going to try a make shift vacuum pump you want to close off everything and have one line from the crankcase (lifter valley or valve cover) going to the pump and then to a catch can. You should just run it all the time.
I was reading someplace I think on the turbo buick site I could use a hobbs switch to make it come on only when boosted. I have a used smog pump ,put in a 10AN fitting on front of passenger side valve cover,in the fill tube,bassically I drilled and tapped the lower part so I could install the fitting,then the drivers side I took the 3/8 port off drilled and tapped it as well. so I have the inlet going to drivers side,blowing in,the outlet is passenger side.(going back to pump)
I have a vented catch can on valley cover with a check valve towards the can,so as not to blow into can engine oil..while in boost..and I assume that the vented can while not in boost allows air to go into motor?
Old 09-22-2014, 08:38 PM
baddgoat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by robert miller
No way to hook up one unless you take the AIR off the car. ECS Doug had one are had a post on one from someplace for the C5 with out air on the car.
yes I have a electric one.plus its a street car I don't want a belt driven one to run all the time,I would rather keep air on car. l
Old 09-22-2014, 08:41 PM
danieloneil01
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't those vacuum pumps (which are expensive) last like 10k miles or less?
Old 09-22-2014, 09:43 PM
baddgoat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by danieloneil01
Don't those vacuum pumps (which are expensive) last like 10k miles or less?
I have no idea,got mine at junk yard whole $15 BUCKS..IF THIS WORKS PRICELESS..

Get notified of new replies

To The Forced Induction Crankcase Evac Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 10:17 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by baddgoat
I was reading someplace I think on the turbo buick site I could use a hobbs switch to make it come on only when boosted. I have a used smog pump ,put in a 10AN fitting on front of passenger side valve cover,in the fill tube,bassically I drilled and tapped the lower part so I could install the fitting,then the drivers side I took the 3/8 port off drilled and tapped it as well. so I have the inlet going to drivers side,blowing in,the outlet is passenger side.(going back to pump)
I have a vented catch can on valley cover with a check valve towards the can,so as not to blow into can engine oil..while in boost..and I assume that the vented can while not in boost allows air to go into motor?

You'll never pull a vacuum that way. No inlet, just suck on the sealed crankcase, venting to a catch can, all the time. If you're not trying to pull a vacuum and just use the motor to coax the CC pressure out I think you'd be better off just running large tubes off the valve covers.

PS: Not sure how long one of those pumps will last with oil mist going through it but worth a shot.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:19 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 02402ramair
I would think there is some kinda mathematical formula that X bore at X ring gap under X amount of boost would produce X amount of CFM needing X size of hose for proper venting. Is there such an equation? I am no mathematician. I go off what works and then go 1 size bigger. lol
I hate to bring one back from the dead but knowing what I know now this post is funny!
So passive yet so direct Kris!!
Old 10-30-2014, 01:58 AM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6
I hate to bring one back from the dead but knowing what I know now this post is funny!
So passive yet so direct Kris!!
So tell us what you know now

Quick Reply: The Forced Induction Crankcase Evac Thread